Update .6 and PPPoE / Speed questions

I've updated my  R1 yesterday with the patch and have to say I had some amazing games of COD Black Ops 3. Hyper traffic is great, even with my wife streaming at the same time on our Now TV box I seemed to be rocking a 2.0+ KD most of the night. However, I have a couple of questions following the update.

1. Congestion Control - I have a 70Mbs connection but if I use Congestion Control and set it to 90% I expect to loose 10% of my speed, i.e. 7Mbs. However, this is not the case. My speed drops to 45Mbs. I thought the .6 patch was going to fix this known issue?

2. When I updated my broadband speed settings the R1 asked if i'd like to automate the settings for the best speed. I clicked yes but was warned that as I was using PPPoE my speeds would be affected. As I have my R1 connected to a bridging VDSL modem (where I cannot configure PPPoE authentication) what am I supposed to do to achieve my max Internet speed?  My understanding is that I could place another router between the modem and R1 placing it in a DMZ. However, if I do that I assume I loose the benefit of congestion control. Note: I don't use the R1 for Wi-Fi, I use an Apple Time Capsule acting as an 802.11 AC Access Point plugged into the R1. 

My current set up

VDSL Modem > Netduma R1 (PPPoE)  > Consoles (Wired)

> Apple Time Capsule Wi-Fi AP > Other Wi-Fi network devices (laptop, Now TV, etc)

3. Buffer Bloat. With the .5 update I could only get an A+ buffer result using reactive but now I can only get A+ using preemptive.  Does the use Hyper Traffic setting explain this?

4. Web GUI performance. If a device on my network is performing a large download consuming significant bandwidth the web interface becomes very slow and erratic. 

• Netduma Staff

1) If you enable turbo mode is this fixed?

2) If you go Modem >> Router doing PPoE >> Netduma you won't use any congestion control benefits and you'll also move the PPoE from the Netduma :)

3) Not sure about this.

4) Does a wired device accessing the dashboard have the same problem?

I'm having exactly same problem with congestion control.I have only to devices connected to net duma PC and PS4 and  when congestion is on 50/50 % and my ps 4 is off(share access ticked)on pc I'm getting 65 mb download but when I  move congestion control to give 100% on pc and ps 4 still off I'm getting 45 mb downlad.I was expecting this to be fixed in this update.I have tried enable turbo mode but it didn't help.

• Netduma Staff

I'm having exactly same problem with congestion control.I have only to devices connected to net duma PC and PS4 and  when congestion is on 50/50 % and my ps 4 is off(share access ticked)on pc I'm getting 65 mb download but when I  move congestion control to give 100% on pc and ps 4 still off I'm getting 45 mb downlad.I was expecting this to be fixed in this update.I have tried enable turbo mode but it didn't help.

Are you definitely moving it for the download (there is a separate part for upload and download)? Also are you pressing "Update Distribution" after doing it? If you are and it still doesn't work, can you make your own thread :)

Are you definitely moving it for the download (there is a separate part for upload and download)? Also are you pressing "Update Distribution" after doing it? If you are and it still doesn't work, can you make your own thread :)

Yes I was doing it in download section properly.It does not bother me that much I just wanted to give you guys feedback because something is not right since  1.05 update.

1) If you enable turbo mode is this fixed?

2) If you go Modem >> Router doing PPoE >> Netduma you won't use any congestion control benefits and you'll also move the PPoE from the Netduma :)

3) Not sure about this.

4) Does a wired device accessing the dashboard have the same problem?

1) Turbo mode make no difference

2) I may do that but why is the case, every router I've ever owned support PPPoE, why do I effectively need 2 routers in my gaming setup?

3) ME neither but I am having good games so not complaining, :-)

4) Yes. I had this on occasion with the .5 but it seems much more prevalent in .6

New issue

5) Dramatic speeds loss. I've had to reboot the Netduma several times now to regain speed. I've seen speeds reached to a crawl, 5Mbs on my 70Mbs connection. Rebooting is the only cure. 

• Administrators

Follow this guide for your speeds to double check everything http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_is_my_speed_lower

Are you using hyper traffic on your PC? If so I wouldn't advise that. 

With reactive enabled you shouldn't lose that much speed. 

From the guide - make sure all IPv6 is disabled in WAN, LAN & misc 

Follow this guide for your speeds to double check everything http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_is_my_speed_lower

Are you using hyper traffic on your PC? If so I wouldn't advise that. 

With reactive enabled you shouldn't lose that much speed. 

From the guide - make sure all IPv6 is disabled in WAN, LAN & misc 

My speed settings are perfectly aligned to your guide. I only use Hyper traffic on my PS4. However, I've now placed a ASUS router between the my VDSL modem and the Netduma in a DMZ to handle PPPoE duties, In this configuration the congestion control percentage sliders more or less correspond to the speeds I'd expect. Therefore, is this something to do with PPPoE configuration on the Netduma? Web GUI performance has also improved since relieving the Netduma of PPPoE duties.

So in summary my home set-up now looks like this>

VDSL Modem > ASUS Router > Netduma > PS4 (Wired)

> Apple Time Capsule Wi-Fi AP > Other devices (laptop, phone, etc)

This is working a treat. With congestion control at 100% I'm getting speeds up at 70Mbs (BuffrBloat B, Quality A+). With Congestion Control at 75% I get about 50Mbs (Buffer Bloat A+, Quality A+).

Only worrying matter is that now on three occasions the Netduma has introduced massive lag, in excess of 200ms, which makes COD unplayable. At the time there are no other devices are on my network and hyper traffic was enabled. Only option is to reboot the Netduma which clears the issue. If I connect my laptop via my ASUS router (wired) and run a DSL reports test the ping is fine (sub 20ms) so it must be the Netduma. 

Archived