Can't see Netgear R7000 Router GUI on devices connected to the R1

Here's my setup:

Modem > Netduma > Netgear R7000

Connected to Netduma: PS4 (ethernet), PC1 (ethernet)

Connected to Netgear R7000: Laptop1 (wireless), Laptop2 (wireless), PC2 (ethernet)

When accessing Laptop1, Laptop2 and PC2, I can see both the Netgear and the R1 gateway GUIs, however I cannot on the PC1 or PS4 (I can only see the R1 GUI).

Why? It makes no sense to me. Is there a way to fix it. In the end, I want to be able to use the wireless off my R7000 and the ethernet switches as well. The wireless on the R1 is disabled. Everything on both routers is factory besides the R1 wireless being disabled.

Here's some wierd things I found while troubleshooting this. When I tracert my PS4 from Laptop1 it pings my Netgear and then just goes STRAIGHT to my PS4 instead of going through the R1 IP. 

R1 Gateway IP: 192.168.88.1

R7000 Gateway IP: 192.168.1.1

So it basically routes off 2 IPs:

192.168.88.248 (which is my PS4) --- shouldn't 192.168.88.1 be in between these 2 IPs when I do a traceroute from one of my laptops to the PS4?

Whatever, nonetheless, If there is a known solution, or if I am doing something obviously wrong, let me know. 

Other things: 

My R7000 is in Router mode (I want to use the ethernet and the wireless)

R1 wireless is turned off

Internet works fine everywhere.

tl;dr: I can't see the gateway GUI of my Netgear router on devices connected directly to my R1 Router, but I can see both gateway GUIs on devices connected to the Netgear router. 

The modem is connected to the R1

The R1 connected to the Netgear (in which would be the modem slot)

Edit: If I set it up so it's modem > netgear > R1  --- Everything I said reversed, just replace Netgear with R1, however in the GUI this pops up netduma.jpg

but that's here nor there, I just want to see both GUIs on any system that's connected to either router.

Edit2: I've been reading more around the forums, and people suggest AP mode, but I don't want AP mode as it get's ride of the Netgear gateway GUI, which I want to keep and only lets you go wireless in AP mode, it seems. I want access to the ethernet on my Netgear

I have the same setup, modem> Duma > r7000, I have my r7000 setup as an access point. I access the Duma as normal and the r7000 through routerlogin.net. (wifi) I can't connect to the r7000 through the netduma though which I gather is what you want to do? I'm not sure how you would do that, it would be remote management I think. That option is greyed out in ap mode. I know this doesn't help you but at least you know it's not user error.

i run modem>netduma>r7500 in ap mode , i guess youre putting the lead from the netduma into the wan port of the r7000 ?

I dont run it like that and just put the ethernet lead into one of the r7500 lan ports and it works for both wireless/ethernet and readyshare.

You just have to change the lan ip on the r7000 to anything the netduma isnt using ie 192.168.88.250 and remove dchp on one of the routers so they dont clash

then if you want to login to the r7000 you would go to 192.168.88.250 and 192.168.88.1 for the netduma

Hope this helps

Last question, may I ask whats the advantage of using the AP mode alongside the netduma, is the congestion filter not working properly if AP mode isn't on (among other things)? Also just general advantages of AP mode.

And yeah I put the ethernet from the netduma into the WAN port on the R7000. Should I not do that for AP mode or does it really matter?

Thank's for your advice and quick replies, by the way (all of you).

• Netduma Staff

Last question, may I ask whats the advantage of using the AP mode alongside the netduma, is the congestion filter not working properly if AP mode isn't on (among other things)? Also just general advantages of AP mode.

And yeah I put the ethernet from the netduma into the WAN port on the R7000. Should I not do that for AP mode or does it really matter?

Thank's for your advice and quick replies, by the way (all of you).

AP mode means that the devices show individually on the Netduma (and not just as one device) :)

• Administrators

Yes that should be fine, if you're getting internet from the R7000 then you know it's right :)

I am pretty sure if you use the wan port on the r7000 from the netduma , you then have a firewalled lan on the r7000 ie two different lans (netduma/r7000 which i think you said in the first post).

I dont think you can turn off the firewall on the r7000 series routers.Unless the ap mode turns the wan port into a lan port . I never plug into the wan port when extending to another router but it might just work that way.

You could always ask on the netgear nighthawk forums

hope i havent confused the issue

Archived