Experiencing wifi problems

What is your ISP hub? It's seems odd that an ISP would supply a hub that doesn't have wifi.

Do you mean that your ISP hub isn't part of the network at all - as in, isn't connected?

Or do you mean that you haven't changed the settings on the ISP hub?

I think maybe ignore what I said about the hub. I've got my internet connected to a DSL-526B modem router, which I have my netduma connected to and then I've got my family PC connected via ethernet to the duma and all my other devices (including my PC) connected wireless to the duma. 

I recently purchased a netgear GS105 (which i was refering to as a hub) in order to get my PC connected via ethernet to the duma to try cut out the wifi issues I'm having (which I have not tried yet).

Hope that makes things a bit more clearer.

I think maybe ignore what I said about the hub. I've got my internet connected to a DSL-526B modem router, which I have my netduma connected to and then I've got my family PC connected via ethernet to the duma and all my other devices (including my PC) connected wireless to the duma. 

I recently purchased a netgear GS105 (which i was refering to as a hub) in order to get my PC connected via ethernet to the duma to try cut out the wifi issues I'm having (which I have not tried yet).

Hope that makes things a bit more clearer.

Ok, I see, this DSL-526B is provided by the ISP but has no wifi capability?

I'm mainly asking because if there is wireless capability and you've not disabled it then it could easily cause some kind of wifi channel clash.

Is the DSL-526B set it some kind of 'passthrough' mode so that it's not hindering the data getting through?

Regarding your ping-spikes, you're pretty much always going to have this gaming over wifi - you really need to play wired to optimise your connection.

If you can't get a cable through to where you need it, you should consider some home-plugs, I used to do this before I put a hole through the wall and it worked pretty well.

Why did you need the GS105 to connect wired to the Netduma?

Have you run a channel scan to see which channels your neighbours are on? Hopefully there's one that you can use that they're not on.

A lot of routers auto-switch the channel by the way, so you need to check these every so often in case someone has jumped onto the channel you picked.

And try WPA-PSK2 (I think) has resolved wifi dropouts for some people too.

Ok, I see, this DSL-526B is provided by the ISP but has no wifi capability?

I'm mainly asking because if there is wireless capability and you've not disabled it then it could easily cause some kind of wifi channel clash.

Is the DSL-526B set it some kind of 'passthrough' mode so that it's not hindering the data getting through?

Regarding your ping-spikes, you're pretty much always going to have this gaming over wifi - you really need to play wired to optimise your connection.

If you can't get a cable through to where you need it, you should consider some home-plugs, I used to do this before I put a hole through the wall and it worked pretty well.

Why did you need the GS105 to connect wired to the Netduma?

Have you run a channel scan to see which channels your neighbours are on? Hopefully there's one that you can use that they're not on.

A lot of routers auto-switch the channel by the way, so you need to check these every so often in case someone has jumped onto the channel you picked.

And try WPA-PSK2 (I think) has resolved wifi dropouts for some people too.

No passthrough mode that I can notice, the settings are pretty simple and nothing really out of the ordinary sticks out (not that I'm that knowledgeable)

Yea I understand the spikes are gonna happen but i feel like it shouldn't be as bad as it gets

The reason for the GS105 is because there is an ethernet that runs from the duma through my room but its being used by something else, so I was thinking instead of linking directly to its device, run it through the GS105 and then I can get two wired connections rather then a single Ethernet running through my room

There's only one other network (next door neighbour) that gets picked up in the channel scan and it's using a different channel to the one I'm using (which is already the "best" channel for my connection)

Already using WPA-PSK2

• Administrators

No passthrough mode that I can notice, the settings are pretty simple and nothing really out of the ordinary sticks out (not that I'm that knowledgeable)

Yea I understand the spikes are gonna happen but i feel like it shouldn't be as bad as it gets

The reason for the GS105 is because there is an ethernet that runs from the duma through my room but its being used by something else, so I was thinking instead of linking directly to its device, run it through the GS105 and then I can get two wired connections rather then a single Ethernet running through my room

There's only one other network (next door neighbour) that gets picked up in the channel scan and it's using a different channel to the one I'm using (which is already the "best" channel for my connection)

Already using WPA-PSK2

Are there other devices connected to the GS105 then? If so that means congestion control won't be working correctly. Which is why you'd be having those issues.

Archived