Using the slider bars...

tjl118

When i slide the upload and download down to 70%. which is a recommended setting, I end have the most horrific game play experience of my life in private matches. Also since I am located in central i seem to always play hosts that are east or west coast in private matches. Is there anything that I can do within the router settings to make private matches more enjoyable. I understand the fact that my ISP may not communicate well with other ISPs but what is the point of lowering my connection when other devices are on my network because it only makes it worse. 

I guess my question is this after considering the fact: Is this router strictly for public matches? 

You are saying that these private matches are worse than your experience in public matches by comparison?  

Can you describe these "horrific" experiences in more detail (rubber banding, dropouts, poor hit detection, etc.)?  

What is your ping to these hosts as shown in the geofilter? 

And what is your internet type and speeds btw (up/down)?

Al of these are important in determining the origin and best course of action.

Playing on host with the netduma shows me this: I live in Kansas (I really live in Minnesota), I ping 70 to 80 to myself and I have had dropout issues before with the network monitor showing that not all my connection is being used. 

Playing off host I ping 80 to 90 to damn near everything. I pretty much always 4 bar but it feels like everything is behind and there are plenty of times when I get skips (feels like a lag spike) however my ping graph does not represent that, nor does the network monitor show my full connection being used. I have tried so many different settings within the router to see if anything got better and it is always the same. hit detection generally seems poor. 

The odd thing about all of this is that when I run internet diagnostics I get a ping of ok, jitter is exceptional, spikes are exceptional and no packet loss. I realize my ping will always suffer because I have a 40/20 century link DSL line. Compared to my old comcast line it is much better because the jitter is quite stable but to be honest after a month of testing out private matches with the router or just using the stock modem, I would have to say the stock modem is slightly more consistent. The router really just give me information basically about what I am pinging and where the host is located. Obviously I can't do anything about playing on a host that is using wireless or has terrible internet that lag spikes all the time. Honestly, tampering with the settings changes absolutely nothing when playing private matches. I have recently just factory reset the router and leave everything at 100% and allocate bandwidth evenly to every device with share excess ticked. I know there is a bug with PPPoe on the router currently but I am wondering if there might be an issue there as well. using a second router is hands down a bad thing for my connection. It simply increased my ping (probably because I added another hop). 

I know the router cannot lower ping and it cannot improve jitter. It can keep you from lag spiking. but for issues like hit detection and smooth game play in COD, I just don't know. here is another odd point. In a public match I will connect to a dedi in New Jersey or somewhere around there and 27 with no jitter. Then I hit a private match with my buddy who lives next door to the server and I ping 80 to 90 with 2 to 3 jitter. I have chalked that up to Century link does not communicate with FIOS well at all. I mean, maybe the US internet is just fucked, who knows. 

The router is not bad at all, best router I have ever owned. The features provide great information, however, I just see no way of improving a private match. I am completely dependent on everyone in the lobby having jitter free internet with decent speeds so everyone is all good. That never happens. Like is there a way to shoot your gun and make damn sure that the person you shot receives that packet? Again, I don't know.

I think the best course of action is to DDOS the US internet and start over again because there is like a million shitty internet companies and when it comes to video games all its does is make everything super inconsistent. That is the end of rant for this morning. Have a great day to whoever reads this!

Tyler 

• Administrators

Hey so, as you said you get a low ping to pub games which indicates the issue is the connections to those in the private match with you. We can't filter who you play there as it is a private match so the only thing you can do on your end is use congestion control to prevent any local congestion on your side causing you to lag. 

Strange that you say 70/70 makes it worse for you as this should not be the case. - Are all devices in your home connected to the R1? Are you on preemptive algorithm? If so have you tried reactive to see if that plays better for you? You may want to look into buffer bloat as well

• Administrators

As you don't have all devices connected to the R1 the congestion control will not work correctly. I would recommend switching all devices over on to the R1 to make use of it or keep congestion control at 100% and don't touch it

COD Privates are hosted by the host Xbox they do not use dedi's so if the player host is far away from you there is nothing you can do about it except try to get someone else to host that may be in a more central location (relative to the players)

Archived