Connecting to international xbox live server by default

I live in Perth, Western Australia and whenever I log on to xbox live the geo-filter page shows that I'm connecting to a host in the US.

It seems that xbox live is incorrectly determining my location.

Is there any way I can fix this? Or should I just white list that host and not worry about it further?

I noticed that during set-up I never entered a DNS server manually. Could it be that the auto setup configured a US DNS server?

I too never have setup DNS and left it on the detected settings. DNS is enabled but no primary or secondary dns have been entered. I changed my xbox settings to googles dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

You could find a host closer to you and white list that one sure. Have you setup your region settings to the US on your xbox?

Just tried setting my xbox to connect to Google's DNS and I'm still getting connected to an Xbox Live server in the U.S.

My region setting on the xbox is set to Australia so it isn't that.

Can you think of anything else that might be messing up my detected location?

I appreciate the help :)

I'd agree with what Fraser said.  Set up correctly, with 'STRICT' ticked and a Ping Assist of "0" I can connect to chosen dedicated servers far away, or I can keep it close to home.

If you are connecting outside of your Geo-Filer, either it isn't enabled, or you are telling the router it is okay to connect to anything BELOW the number you assigned in the Ping Assist bar.  I.E. - If you said Ping Assist 40ms, ANY 39ms or less game IN THE WORLD is a viable candidate for your searches because it expressly matches what you said you wanted.

The problem is that I want to make use of the Ping Assist to loosen up the restrictions on game lobbies a little - the Australian player base isn't that big. If I use Strict Mode and a Ping Assist of 0 I'll get booted from a lot of lobbies or struggle to find a game. 

The U.S server that I'm talking about isn't a game's dedicated server it's the actual Xbox Live server. I understand that if my latency to it is under the Ping Assist value then my connection to it is probably completely fine and good enough. But surely Xbox Live would have servers in Aus that would give even better performance?

• Administrators

I'm getting a ping of around 250ms so I don't think it would be located in Aus.

The ID is ff41ab76de9e3237 maybe you could look it up for me?

It's definitely a Microsoft Server, so I may need to whitelist it. Thank you!

Archived