UPnP not opening required ports

I was checking my Xbox network settings and found out I had a Strict NAT.  I was not playing any games at the time

I rebooted the R1 by unplugging it for 30 sec and when the router was done booting back up I still had Strict. I reset the R1 using the radio button in Misc settings. Strict NAT. Unticked UPnP, Apply, reticked UPnP, Apply, tested connection still had Strict NAT. 

Port Forwarding - Opened UDP 3544  ( this was the next option suggested through the XBone troubleshooting process) Doing this gave me Moderate NAT. UPnP is still enabled as well as the forwarded port.

Next I Hard Reset The XBone and tested the connection, Still had Moderate NAT

Disabled Port Forwarding rule of UDP 3544 - NAT returned to Strict

Am I missing something?  I haven't had any known NAT issues in the past, except with BO3, and that was opened up by rebooting the router and XBone.

Thanks

Geo is enabled, but I don't have any game loaded.  The open port was different than the Port I was instructed to open to change the NAT.  The R1 UPnP had Port UDP 3074 open on it's own, but XB was telling me to open UDP 3544.

Try disabling the GeoFilter and redo the NAT test :)

With Geo Disabled, the NAT was fully Open.  Do you know why?  It shouldn't be like that, right?

mine just gets hung up sometimes i have to reboot, its a little irritating, some of my old equipment might be the culprit.

Hey Row,  Yes I turned everything off and on again.  ( I learned that from the show "The IT Crowd"  haha. if you haven't seen it I recommend it.  That's always my first step :)  I did everything short of Factory Reset.

• Netduma Staff

With Geo Disabled, the NAT was fully Open.  Do you know why?  It shouldn't be like that, right?

It is probably because the GeoFilter is blocking a NAT testing server. So your NAT is actually open but the test is saying it isn't because the test is being blocked. Do you see any padlocks or triangles on the GeoFilter when you do the test?

On the Xbox One I usually have that 3074 port forwarded and a Demonware port forwarded as well.

Basically it's usually multiple ports being forwarded by upnp.

Hey Buck,

Yes, if you go by XB's recommended forwarded ports is more than just the 3074.  I thought it was odd that only 1 was open 

It is probably because the GeoFilter is blocking a NAT testing server. So your NAT is actually open but the test is saying it isn't because the test is being blocked. Do you see any padlocks or triangles on the GeoFilter when you do the test?

I enabled the Geo and booted up BO3.  I have Open NAT and I'm not seeing any padlocks or triangles. I had my Geo covering all of the States. So I guess the lesson here is disable and re-enable Geo. Some NAT issues aren't resolved by rebooting the just hardware.  Thanks for your help.

• Netduma Staff

I enabled the Geo and booted up BO3.  I have Open NAT and I'm not seeing any padlocks or triangles. I had my Geo covering all of the States. So I guess the lesson here is disable and re-enable Geo. Some NAT issues aren't resolved by rebooting the just hardware.  Thanks for your help.

Sometimes the server they use changes - if it changes to one within the GeoFilter then you won't have the issue anymore :) Is everything sorted now?

Crossy,  I guess it's all sorted now, thanks again. Still wondering why how it landed on Strict to begin with? Only (1) open port from UPnP?  Like I said. I didn't have any game loaded.  I just turned on my xb to test the connection.  I was messing around with speed test etc. etc.  Please close the thread when you're ready.

Archived