Why does geofilter suck on the R1's DumaOS?

bbursley

As off lately the QOS has been fantastic after adding a few tweaks to it, (i never noticed it was giving my console such low bandwitdth and therefore i wasn't guaranteed a great upload speed). But with that fixed my bullets have been SHREDDING people apart now, only that....my geofilter never does what I want regardless of what i set things to, literally had strict on and I got Connected to the EU server as if only ping assist was on....I had a 3 bar and was getting shredded by people connected closer to that server (granted it was only 85ms), but it was enough to make 3/4 of my gunfights just do nothing at all. Is there no way to fix this or are we just going to continue to have broken geofilter on the R1?

image.thumb.png.f90fde5d6aecda7c2ad7f0afeead18d6.png

You have given your console a static ip address i assume! If the dhcp has assigned it a new address after you made settings to your geo filter then the geo filter will not recognise your console and the filtering will not work as depicted in your picture. I know your not stupid but just need to cross out the obvious. 

10 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

You have given your console a static ip address i assume! If the dhcp has assigned it a new address after you made settings to your geo filter then the geo filter will not recognise your console and the filtering will not work as depicted in your picture. I know your not stupid but just need to cross out the obvious. 

Yes static IP. I mean I literally place myself over that area where I have been connected to a dedicated server before with strict mode on, and even the radius cranked up more just to allow a larger player base. It often gives me host, now this is okay sometimes but honestly I don’t have a fiber connection like ones dedicated servers would have, so I really cannot provide the best lobby. Not to mention all I even did was bump the ping assist up to 75 (I did increments) and it connected me all the way overseas. I thought that was crazy. Now does it filter via Mac and IP or just one or the other. It’s definitely recognizing my device being correct. But yes I definitely made sure to give myself a static IP as that usually resolves any kind of dhcp issues and inconsistencies. Like you alluded to with the idea that my IP could change and perhaps cause issues. But even at that I think the Netduma still knows the Mac and perhaps may update itself. I don’t really know what they specified in the code to do. Mac would be a much more successful approach since that issue is probable. But even so I have already increased the lease time (I think) but again that’s not my issue, and my nat is open for every game. It’s just acting as if there are no players in that area and I really find that hard to believe. Yet I’ll get a bunch of player around me on a player host, be it me or someone else. It’s really unusual. The old geofilter never did this I don’t believe. I was getting really frustrated trying to compete but always being behind so even if my Qos was great (and it was) these other people closer to the server would just wreck me even when I know I got a lot of hitmarkers first on them. Or like they come around the corner with a shotgun and POP, no luck, and I can’t even be competitive against that because in other instances I think I’m far away and then it still registers on me and kills me. But the lobbies where I get closer player hosts or dedis (all except bo4) I never have luck with that game so far, it’s usually pretty buttery. Idk maybe there’s just a much smaller player base than I know of. But if I even go play cod ghosts I’ll still get a host really quickly within that circle with only 256 players on...cuz I tried it  recently and it worked okay. I feel like my radius is big enough and honestly May even be able to shrink it, but you can see upon booting all the dedis and the authentication servers as well. Even mid game it flashes them I believe. I really don’t know what I could be doing wrong. Perhaps I need to boot game with geo off and then apply it. But you’d think authentication servers etc that are needed would be fine. I mean again, ghosts and was fine. I am pretty sure I’ve flushed the cloud too as a step. 

You would assume that it goes off mac address as that would be the most logical  answer, but it was just to rule out dhcp leasing as an issue but if you statically assigned the ip address of your console on the router then  that would totally eliminate an obvious cause for your problem. I do know that my ping to the east coast U.S where you live is between 70 - 85ms so if my ping assist was set as high as yours then i would occasionally land on a a new york of new jersey server. You should still though be able to connect to local host's or dedi's in your radius as I agree with you there 100%.

Have you tried the ping assist only method of setting your location in the ocean at minimum size and relying solely on ping assist (setting this up while console is off)? That is the method that I use.

2019-03-23.png

5 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

You would assume that it goes off mac address as that would be the most logical  answer, but it was just to rule out dhcp leasing as an issue but if you statically assigned the ip address of your console on the router then  that would totally eliminate an obvious cause for your problem. I do know that my ping to the east coast U.S where you live is between 70 - 85ms so if my ping assist was set as high as yours then i would occasionally land on a a new york of new jersey server. You should still though be able to connect to local host's or dedi's in your radius as I agree with you there 100%.

Have you tried the ping assist only method of setting your location in the ocean at minimum size and relying solely on ping assist (setting this up while console is off)? That is the method that I use.

2019-03-23.png

I haven’t honestly tried that no. Well I know but I have never had EU servers before lol, it was super weird. Especially because I had strict mode on, which last I knew was only to allow any host in the radius. I normally only set the P/A to like 25-30. I only increased it because I waiting trying to find a game and nothing happened. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest trying PA exclusively as above, it's the one thing you haven't tried so far so could be much better. Are you using a custom DNS or anything like that?

I am actually, on the console only I think. What I dont get is why he has his in the ocean, but still has strict on. I just feel like if I have strict on over a larger portion of the USA with known servers and players then you would think that it would get me lobbies only in that area, even with P/A at zero. Like its obvious that my connection is qualifying for dedis, my only thought is that maybe the number of east coast players for that particular game is just low. I mean I am definitely gonna give the ocean idea a try. But what does that really do on the netduma side. just seems weird is all.

• Administrators

It's probably easier to think of it in terms of two ways to filter. The radius and ping assist. If the radius is over land then both the radius and ping assist will be used if necessary, whatever is allowed first basically. Have the location in the ocean with strict mode enabled essentially blocks everything outside the radius so then it's reliant on ping assist to allow hosts.

So I did similar to what you mentioned about the ocean..I got the EXACT dedicated server I wanted. Had to turn strict off though. I never used the ocean in the previous firmware so im not sure why this was the only way to make that happen...but, I guess if it works then i cant complain about that. keep me away form that dreaded Texas server 😧. My bullets felt pretty melty (so did theirs). But at the very least the overall experience was better an we will see how it goes. Now idk why just using a radius over that particular Dedi with strict on wouldnt find me any matches...typically in the past it worked like that for me

image.thumb.png.303a2ed7b0195342e86f86887b1010cb.png

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's probably easier to think of it in terms of two ways to filter. The radius and ping assist. If the radius is over land then both the radius and ping assist will be used if necessary, whatever is allowed first basically. Have the location in the ocean with strict mode enabled essentially blocks everything outside the radius so then it's reliant on ping assist to allow hosts.

Now im getting all the kids with the god connections, like it feels like were on par but man im sweating just watching them jump shot me with burst ARs through the damn air. 

• Administrators

It's certainly really strange why that is happening and I can't quite figure out why it's behaving that way but great it's working. Per your DNS I'd try removing that as well and just using automatic network settings if you have an issue again.

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's certainly really strange why that is happening and I can't quite figure out why it's behaving that way but great it's working. Per your DNS I'd try removing that as well and just using automatic network settings if you have an issue again.

It is strange, but at least im finally getting the server I want. Ill keep testing it for consistency. Now another thing I notice sometimes are that players are skipping around or laggy even though I dont feel like im lagging. I thought that was always like a bandwidth issue, but I made sure I had a min of like idk 1.5 mb/s at least reserved since its unlikely anything on the download side would ever be an issue. my house doesnt get busy enough for that, although when turning QOS off, I dont seem to notice people skipping as much..not sure why. Ive set all the right speeds in the speed part, goodput is on, disable qos isnt checked. antiBB is set to always, sliders at 70/70 showing A+ BB rating when testing, only thing I can think of is I always get that C for quality but thats about all ive ever noticed being differnt than before. I noticed though when I test via DSL test I get all A's no problem. 

58 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just kidding...I rebooted the router to get my ports back to open...andddd its just throwing me back on Texas despite having the same geofilter settings. 

• Administrators

Did you remove the DNS like I mentioned? 

I suggested this in a different topic but perhaps will help you, can you allocate a low bandwidth (both download & upload) to the console with bandwidth allocation and share excess off and try and get a game. Try giving it: 0.5mbps max, see what you get. Then try 5mbps max, then see what you get. 

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you remove the DNS like I mentioned? 

I suggested this in a different topic but perhaps will help you, can you allocate a low bandwidth (both download & upload) to the console with bandwidth allocation and share excess off and try and get a game. Try giving it: 0.5mbps max, see what you get. Then try 5mbps max, then see what you get. 

I mean, I’m not really sure what dns would do to affect how the router connects since I use google dns and it’s really only used as a domain name lookup. It’s just weird how I set it and it didn’t work and then I reboot and it stops working right 

• Administrators

I'm trying to find anything that is making your router behave differently to others, DNS if it's not looking to the router then it may be getting confused. Try it with automatic first then also try the bandwidth suggestion.