R7000 behind R1 Congestion Control

Hi

I have the R7000 behind the R1 to handle WIFI devices. It is in AP mode i.e. connected to the R1 by ethernet with the R1 handling DHCP. In Congestion Control, the CC flower has all the WIFI devices but also shows the R7000 as a device.

Can this be deleted? I don;t want it as a device as it gets allocated bandwidth unnecessarily.

Thanks

• Administrators

Hi Dan - because the R7000 is connected to the R1 you won't be able to delete it. However you can drag the flower percentages to a lower number so less bandwidth is allocated to it.

In case you were not aware, the flower will automatically give any excess to any device that needs it. So if you allocated 100% to your Xbox, but your Xbox was only using 20%, then the remaining 80% will be given to any other device that needs it. This makes sure your network runs at maximum efficiency.

Thanks .. but

Are you saying that you have to allocate bandwidth to the router when it is acting as a switch. For example, assuming I am NOT sharing excess and have 3 devices on the Access Point and each is allocated 5%. Are you saying the AP must have 15% allocated too? That's 30% in total.

I haven't testrd but suspect zero bandwidth can be allocated to the AP as the R 1 looks through it to the actual devices

• Netduma Staff

That's right - the Netduma sees straight through AP's to the devices behind it. If you aren't using Share Excess I -think- you can just set the AP to 0, but make sure to test that thoroughly. (I've not personally tested this, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the case). In reality I don't think the AP counts on the bandwidth flower, and I certainly don't believe it's allocated any bandwidth - rather all the bandwidth goes to the devices connected to it.

Let us know if setting the AP to 0 works. I imagine this might be just a quirk of the flower.