Not off to a great start...

Yes I think we've discovered that already so have let the necessary team know. If you connect directly through the Switch does it work as expected?

As far as I know it shouldn't impact the features, just an aesthetic issue on the Device Manager, is this not the case?

If I connect directly through the Wi-FI on the XR500 QoS works, it identifies the traffic. However, geo filter does not work as you witnessed on the share session, can't ping hosts to add them to the allow list.

If I connect via the AP in extender mode the Switch appears correctly online in Device manager. However, neither Qos or Geo filter work at all. 

If I connect via the AP in typical AP mode the Switch appears in Device manger offline, QoS works but Geo only partially works, I just have to set the radius quite large

A mixed bag 

In my house I can't easily get a wired connection to my study where the Switch is located hence the need to get a WiFi solution. In extender mode my Switch is actually LAN cabled to the AP which has a bridged wireless connection to the XR500. The Wi-Fi in the Switch is very poor but via the AP the connection is rock solid. I use Wi-Fi explorer, it shows the connection as excellent, 1% noise, no spectrum interference, zero packet loss and 2ms ping with 0.5ms jitter.  

you CAN easily get a wired connection to your study....

get yourself a couple of decent Powerline adapters and forget Wifi...

for them to work, your mains cables (i.e. the ones through your walls to sockets) must be on the same mains junction-box....

[basically... it converts your mains-cable (in the wall) into a "simulated" CAT5e cable]

I have installed these in many homes and work prefect for locations that network cables cannot reach....

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

you CAN easily get a wired connection to your study....

get yourself a couple of decent Powerline adapters and forget Wifi...

for them to work, your mains cables (i.e. the ones through your walls to sockets) must be on the same mains junction-box....

[basically... it converts your mains-cable (in the wall) into a "simulated" CAT5e cable]

I have installed these in many homes and work prefect for locations that network cables cannot reach....

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

Thanks but I've used powerline adapters but packet loss is in excess of 5% (according to ping plotter) so no good. My house is a 150 years old, think the electrical cabling is probably that old too!

Thanks but I've used powerline adapters but packet loss is in excess of 5% (according to ping plotter) so no good. My house is a 150 years old, think the electrical cabling is probably that old too!

cheap ones or top of the range ones ?

cheap ones may give those results

Both! Fast and slow. Bizarrely the cheaper slower power lines were more reliable. Tried TP link and Netgear.

okay, scrap that idea....lol

Relying on wireless is always going to give you bother, especially with gaming. A Hard-wired solution is the only way for reliability.

Is there no way of running a cable from the router to the destination Pc ?

Can you describe your room layout between router and destination pc ? And I wil try and think of something else to help...

my home layout is like this (sounds similar to you). My gaming setup is in my converted garage. Distance is about 70ft of CAT5e. I live in a Bungalow which made things much easier to route cables through walls and corners etc, out to the garage. It had to be done as wireless wasnt an option, and the XR500 signal doesn't reach my garage even though it has only 30ft (in a straight line) to travel. (has 4 walls though to contend with).

home_network.png

okay, scrap that idea....lol

Relying on wireless is always going to give you bother, especially with gaming. A Hard-wired solution is the only way for reliability.

Is there no way of running a cable from the router to the destination Pc ?

Can you describe your room layout between router and destination pc ? And I wil try and think of something else to help...

my home layout is like this (sounds similar to you). My gaming setup is in my converted garage. Distance is about 70ft of CAT5e. I live in a Bungalow which made things much easier to route cables through walls and corners etc, out to the garage. It had to be done as wireless wasnt an option, and the XR500 signal doesn't reach my garage even though it has only 30ft (in a straight line) to travel. (has 4 walls though to contend with).

My study is on  the third floor, my router on the ground floor. i have the option to run a cable down the outside of the house and then up through the basement but I'd need to drill through the external walls to feed the cables, did not want to do that. 

I have a Netgear ex8000 extender, my console is actually plugged in via a LAN cable to extender. From there it's a wireless bridge to the XR500. To be fair performance is excellent. No spectrum interference, zero packet loss, 2ms ping to the XR500 and 0.5ms jitter. Signal is stable for prolonged periods as measured via Wi-Fi explorer. 

All my XR500 issues have been resolved now by Fraser (via new firmware) bar Geo Filtering, can't add new hosts.