Wifi keeps messing up

Seth_18

My wifi continues to mess up and i made a thread about a month ago and did the things ppl suggested but i still have to reboot my router alot. Would a wifi range extender be able to work with the netduma or no? Any suggestions would help also factory reset it multiple times too. 

I would only recommend a wifi extender or if you have another router sitting around with 2.4ghz/5ghz radios I would connect it to the R1 and place it in access point mode. 

So its a yes and a no? How would another router help the wifi that coming out of the R1, im not really educated in technology of routers and such i just need something that will help my netduma make the wifi range stronger and wider in my house. For some reason the wifi just gives out and ive done everything from switching the channels and things.

Yes. I have never had good results with the wifi on the R1 plus I require the 5ghz band as well as the 2.4ghz. I am using a Netgear router for it's wifi capabilities setup in access point mode connected to the R1.

Yes. I have never had good results with the wifi on the R1 plus I require the 5ghz band as well as the 2.4ghz. I am using a Netgear router for it's wifi capabilities setup in access point mode connected to the R1.

So if i buy another net gear router how would i connect it all?

Like if you can give me a walk through of some kind? so a router would be better than a wifi extender? And lastly im r1 is at 2.4ghz

I don't know much about wifi extenders. I would recommend you research those first because they may be cheaper than purchasing a router just to to use it as an access point.  Just a suggestion.       Concerning wifi I have only had good experiences with Netgear products. So anything netgear makes is gonna be great at providing great wifi speeds or at least for me.  I had to a netgear router prior to getting my R1 so I was able to use it as an access point.

I don't know anything about your setup. I am assuming here.  Cable Modem > (connected by ethernet) > R1 Router > (connected by ethernet) > Netgear Router (as access point mode) or Wifi Extender

I don't know much about wifi extenders. I would recommend you research those first because they may be cheaper than purchasing a router just to to use it as an access point.  Just a suggestion.       Concerning wifi I have only had good experiences with Netgear products. So anything netgear makes is gonna be great at providing great wifi speeds or at least for me.  I had to a netgear router prior to getting my R1 so I was able to use it as an access point.

I don't know anything about your setup. I am assuming here.  Cable Modem > (connected by ethernet) > R1 Router > (connected by ethernet) > Netgear Router (as access point mode) or Wifi Extender

My main question is would i have to have my netgear or wifi extender connected by Ethernet? i think thats what your saying above this just wanted to make sure?

Yeah. It is going to have to be hardwired to the R1 by way of an ethernet ethernet cord. 

Is a wifi extender the same as an access point?
Repeater is a wireless network device that repeats wireless signals to extend range without being connected with cable to either your router/modem, or your clients. Many routers/access points can be configured in "repeater" mode. Extender has thesame functionality as a repeater.
So i found this about it. You think it would communicate with the netduma?

The R1 does not have the capabilities listed below.  The Netduma (R1) can only communicate this way is by connecting another device.

Access point is a device connected with cable (Cat5) to your main router/modem/internet, and serving clients wirelessly.

Repeater is a wireless network device that repeats wireless signals to extend range without being connected with cable to either your router/modem, or your clients. Many routers/access points can be configured in "repeater" mode.

Extender has the same functionality as a repeater. Extenders are usually devices that only do repeating, and can't be set in any other mode.

The advantage to using a repeater/range extender is there is no need for a cable between the main router/modem and the repeater.

There is a downside to using a repeater vs. using an access point (or setting a device in repeater vs. access point mode), however - it essentially halves your wireless bandwidth, as it has to use it to communicate with both your main AP and the clients. Although range extenders/repeaters reach areas beyond the range of the central router, they also bounce back all the router's traffic, creating congestion and slowing the network.

The R1 does not have the capabilities listed below.  The Netduma (R1) can only communicate this way is by connecting another device.

Access point is a device connected with cable (Cat5) to your main router/modem/internet, and serving clients wirelessly.

Repeater is a wireless network device that repeats wireless signals to extend range without being connected with cable to either your router/modem, or your clients. Many routers/access points can be configured in "repeater" mode.

Extender has the same functionality as a repeater. Extenders are usually devices that only do repeating, and can't be set in any other mode.

The advantage to using a repeater/range extender is there is no need for a cable between the main router/modem and the repeater.

There is a downside to using a repeater vs. using an access point (or setting a device in repeater vs. access point mode), however - it essentially halves your wireless bandwidth, as it has to use it to communicate with both your main AP and the clients. Although range extenders/repeaters reach areas beyond the range of the central router, they also bounce back all the router's traffic, creating congestion and slowing the network.

so my connection would pretty much suck if i have repeater its better to have a access point. If i have a access point in the same place where my modem and netduma are would it help the connection or it would have to be somewhere else.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I've had a similar problem with Wifi issues on the R1 quite recently.

About a fortnight ago, the Wifi signal started to occasionally drop connection then reconnect in the space of a few seconds.  I didn't think too much about it so carried on.

This week, in fact a couple of days ago, the connection dropped completely and wouldn't reconnect at all, no matter how hard I tried it to get my devices to recognise it.  Oddly enough the wired connections were fine and were operating normally so thought the R1 might just need powering on and off, which I did.  That seemed to cure it.

However, it lost Wifi connections again yesterday evening so I performed a Factory Reset on the R1 to get it a fresh start.  I also turned off my other router Netgear N500 which it is connected to.  After a little but of frustration in setting things back up (my wireless printer is a bit of a pain as it loses all settings and is temperamental at the best of times) all seemed ok and it has been working - shall we say OK.

This morning, my nexus tablet lost connection temporarily to the Wifi signal then reconnected.  This indicates there might still be a possible issue with the Wifi signal.

Generally Wifi isn't important to me, but someone else does use Wifi for catching up on programs which could cause a problem for me as I primarily use my PC for gaming - Quake Champions. 

I believe I have had the router for just under a year, but I will check into that.  At present I am considering the best course of action should the worst happen.  This is what I have thought about should it happen again:-

• Checking to see if I am still under guarantee and if so requesting a new R1
  • If out of guarantee, purchasing a new R1 or going with the new Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 instead with DumaOS
  • ​Waiting for the DumaOS to release next month (hopefully) and perform a firmware update and/or
  • Looking at a Wifi extender option as well.

The router uses the last (and latest I believe) firmware version of 1.03.6h.

NB. Somethings to mention, but may or may not be relevant.  My virus scanner flagged the R1 as risky due to an issue that hackers may be able to compromise.  It has recommended a firmware update or a strong password.  I have done my best to password it as I know DumaOS is coming soon and believe it is a new firmware patch.

I have found when playing Quake Champions that there are some particularly odd issues, such as data dumps or ping issues, but that might be through the company servers for the game rather than the router.  But someone did mention a lot of activity happens on the client side.  Probably clutching at straws and I don't have any real concrete evidence to prove that.  Just a thought any way.

• Administrators

Firstly I would check this guide on WiFi dropouts: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022405-why-does-the-netduma-wifi-keep-dropping-out-

Then if you continue to get it disable WiFi then apply then reboot. Then enable WiFi and apply.

I'llgivethatagoandse

Firstly I would check this guide on WiFi dropouts: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022405-why-does-the-netduma-wifi-keep-dropping-out-

Then if you continue to get it disable WiFi then apply then reboot. Then enable WiFi and apply.

I'll give that a go and see how things work out.  I changed the wifi channel as well to 7, was previously on 8 to see if that works.  I didn't have the wifi workaround checked in the settings.  Should I set it to checked or leave it as off as before?

• Netduma Staff

I'llgivethatagoandse

I'll give that a go and see how things work out.  I changed the wifi channel as well to 7, was previously on 8 to see if that works.  I didn't have the wifi workaround checked in the settings.  Should I set it to checked or leave it as off as before?

How's this working out for you? If you're experiencing drop-outs the best thing to do is try checking WiFi workaround. If it gets worse / doesn't improve you should untick it again as there's likely another solution. I hope this makes sense :) let us know how it goes.