High Ping Problem

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for quite some time but figured if I wanted to get the most out of my investment that I'd need to create an account....so I did.  And now I'm looking for some assistance.  

I've been using the Duma for awhile now and have seen everything from 1500ms ping down to 60ms ping.  I never get anything below 60ms as 60-80ms is normal for me right now.  I assumed it was an ISP/modem problem but when I run the Speedtest.net speed test I get 10ms ping.  Keep in mind my current set up is WALL>MODEM>DUMA>WIFI ROUTER with my PC (where I ran the speed test and PS4 console being WIRED into the Duma.  

What can I do to get my Duma to reflect the pings that I should hope to be seeing?  I have my host filtering set up and my CC set to 100% ps4 with sharing enabled.  There is no one else using my network as I"m the only one home when I game.  

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance! 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you could provide us with the screenshots from here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022425-lag-support-instructions-to-post-on-the-forum-that will enable us to help you more efficiently. 

I would advise using congestion control even though you're the only one home at the time - web browsing & background updates etc could cause you to lag.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you could provide us with the screenshots from here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022425-lag-support-instructions-to-post-on-the-forum-that will enable us to help you more efficiently. 

I would advise using congestion control even though you're the only one home at the time - web browsing & background updates etc could cause you to lag.

post-11670-0-01608800-1484587338_thumb.jpg

post-11670-0-30896100-1484587459_thumb.jpg

post-11670-0-61451300-1484587687_thumb.jpg

post-11670-0-14498300-1484587752_thumb.jpg

post-11670-0-25066500-1484587839_thumb.jpg

post-11670-0-67276300-1484587902_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Okay so as you said speed test was 10ms looks as though the Google server is misbehaving. 

Can you try the following please and see if your issue is resolved:

Reset device prioritisation

Disable deep packet processing

Ensure UPnP disabled as you're using port forwarding

Switch to the default theme as I believe V2 may be causing the big ping spikes (likely just aesthetic though)

Stealth mode disable

Try with a 1000km radius also

Okay so as you said speed test was 10ms looks as though the Google server is misbehaving. 

Can you try the following please and see if your issue is resolved:

Reset device prioritisation

Disable deep packet processing

Ensure UPnP disabled as you're using port forwarding

Switch to the default theme as I believe V2 may be causing the big ping spikes (likely just aesthetic though)

Stealth mode disable

Try with a 1000km radius also

Thanks...it did get the ping down a few....sitting right around 55...

Move your home location and force another server. If you have no local congestion, connecting close by and have a low base ping it doesn't make any sense other than the server.

So move my home location?  Where would be the best place to move it? To an area with simply more servers active or to the nearest one?  

So move my home location?  Where would be the best place to move it? To an area with simply more servers active or to the nearest one?  

Move it anywhere to connect to a different server and see if there's a difference in gameplay.If your screenshots are where your home location is, your connecting with the dedi bank in northern Illinois and that's the same bank I play on.Some of them play good and some of them play bad as there are at least 30 servers in each of those banks that I have found.When you connect to the server pay attention to it's ID and write it down, some will play better than others.

And if your in the US on your GF page I would untick all the check boxes except strict mode and auto ping host (but I also have the unticked) since if you untick the kilometers it will go to miles instead of km.

Well....seems as though my bufferbloat is off the charts.  When I run a DSLReports speed test my latency is akin to 700-800+ms!  Even when I take the Duma out of the equation and run straight to the PC for testing I'm still in the 600's!  Hmmm....so now what?  I'm thinking a call to my ISP is now in order!  :angry:

• Netduma Staff

Well I called my provider and did speed tests. Getting 70+ down and 7 up with 10ms ping and 4 ms latency. Not sure why my DSLreports tests are so out of whack AND why I can't replicate these pings with my Duma.

It'll be worth doing a pingplotter test; that'll hopefully show where your connection is going wrong. Run a pingplotter for 2 hours to Twitter.com and check out the results.

• Administrators

I wouldn't worry about bufferbloat specifically. Bufferbloat only happens around the point of saturation and at 70% anti-flood it does not saturate.

However, do the ping plotter test as Jack mentioned above, will help us narrow down the issue.

I wouldn't worry about bufferbloat specifically. Bufferbloat only happens around the point of saturation and at 70% anti-flood it does not saturate.

However, do the ping plotter test as Jack mentioned above, will help us narrow down the issue.

So I ran a ping plotter test (not sure if I did it correctly) but here are my results.  Thoughts?  And today, I was experiencing 900+ms pings.  I got a new modem yesterday which actually allowed me to gain a NAT TYPE: OPEN so that's cool.  Now it seems that since getting the OPEN nat I'm getting worse pings than when I was only getting MODERATE.  Perplexing!

post-11670-0-04853700-1484864607_thumb.jpg

• Netduma Staff

So I ran a ping plotter test (not sure if I did it correctly) but here are my results.  Thoughts?  And today, I was experiencing 900+ms pings.  I got a new modem yesterday which actually allowed me to gain a NAT TYPE: OPEN so that's cool.  Now it seems that since getting the OPEN nat I'm getting worse pings than when I was only getting MODERATE.  Perplexing!

attachicon.gifPing plotter test.jpg

First of all, where are you located? Is that the Twitter server close to you (i.e the same country)? If not, ping something a little closer and see what you get. Could you also post a screenshot of the 900ms reading?

First of all, where are you located? Is that the Twitter server close to you (i.e the same country)? If not, ping something a little closer and see what you get. Could you also post a screenshot of the 900ms reading?

Hey...I live in central US so I'm assuming the server is at least in the same country.  I'll run another test here in a bit to see what I get. 

Here's a shot of the high ping I had just now.  

post-11670-0-35878000-1484934601_thumb.jpg

• Netduma Staff

Hey...I live in central US so I'm assuming the server is at least in the same country.  I'll run another test here in a bit to see what I get. 

Here's a shot of the high ping I had just now.  

attachicon.gifhigh ping.jpg

Hey, please could you post in the 1 on 1 section of the forum with dates / times next week when you'll be available? Fraser wants to get to the bottom of it.

Hey, please could you post in the 1 on 1 section of the forum with dates / times next week when you'll be available? Fraser wants to get to the bottom of it.

Will do...thanks.  You guys are great and your Customer Service is like nothing I've experienced before!  Well done! 

• Netduma Staff

Will do...thanks.  You guys are great and your Customer Service is like nothing I've experienced before!  Well done! 

Great :) thanks for the kind words, we do our best. Hopefully a 1 on 1 will get it fixed, though I'm convinced it's a graphics issue. We'll see!

Archived