8 Port Router???

I would love to see you guys make an 8 port router with your firmware and without wifi.

I have lots of devices needing a wired network connection. So having more ports on

a router that has your firmware with congestion control, would be awesome.

I'm sure connecting a switch to one of the R1's lan ports would work but that would be creating a huge bottleneck and some lag for anything connected to the switch. 

• Netduma Staff

I'm sure connecting a switch to one of the R1's lan ports would work but that would be creating a huge bottleneck and some lag for anything connected to the switch. 

Why would it create a bottle neck? Surely it is exactly the same as the data that goes into the R1 all been send down one ethernet cable to the other router/modem that you have connected? Only difference is the switch is physical and isn't on the Network layer (I think from what I have read) and the router is on the network layer and it obviously much cleverer than the switch.

I don't own a switch so I'm sure how they work. I was just assuming that having multiple devices going through 1 lan port on the R1 would load up the CPU on the R1 especially if all the devices attached to the switch were working all at once.

• Netduma Staff

I don't own a switch so I'm sure how they work. I was just assuming that having multiple devices going through 1 lan port on the R1 would load up the CPU on the R1 especially if all the devices attached to the switch were working all at once.

I'm not sure what affect this would have on the CPU - you may be correct that this causes issues.

I was reading this and it seams to explain what would happen. There were other posts in different forums saying that it would increase latency - this would make sense and I would expect this if I was using one. I also read that it can create bottlenecks which was your worry but from my understanding on it this was more for when the connection is totally saturated (so if you had a 1Gbps switch then theoretically this would mean transferring data at 1Gbps.) I think those threads I read were theorising on if you were transferring data on your internal network at full speeds which I doubt you would be doing (you might be though, lol).

From what I have read though unless you are transferring data at very high speeds it shouldn't matter too much.

Yeah, it makes sense that if there isn't enough traffic then there shouldn't be any problem. 

If I had a switch I would try it out, but I also don't have any more electrical outlets open so having another device needing power would be a problem.  :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi cjmyers,

Interesting I'd never though about the bottleneck of a switch. But basically the internally has a gigabit switch so connecting it to a gigabit switch would mean the aggregate sending rate of all those computers would be a gigabit which is still greater then our LAN <-> WAN by quite a bit so the switch would not be the bottleneck.

Thanks for the suggestion we will look into them for tournaments :D 

• 2 weeks later...

You are fine. I have 2 gigabit switches and an Asus AC router along with my home server that I stream blurays from all the time while connected to the Duma with no noticeable increase in latency. Get a good gigabit switch to add more ports.

Archived