Do you use a ubee modem router combo? I used to have similar issues through Time Warner and switched away from their ubee. Made a big difference for me. I had nat troubles and mega lag.

Just an observation because I looked at all your stuff and you seem to have a very similar setup to mine (I use mine for xbox one mostly though).

I have charter th router they gave was just a cisco modem no router built into it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Netduma_Iain

On the Internet Diagnosis I'd rather see the top half of the details page. It looks like you may have a spike issue.  Also is your geo-filter in the approximately the same location as where you live? 

Well there's the problem,he has charter as his ISP    :D

They are known to have a large amount of jitter from node overload,especially at peak hours 6 - 9 pm.

Have you tried playing during the day (if possible) and then play at peak times and see if there is a difference.I have the same provider and gave them documented proof of unstable line quality,which was ignored of course.But i digress...point i was trying to make is game at different times to see if it makes a difference on your experience.

And if it does then start running ping test at peak hours run 5 tests to pingtest.net for 7 days and then you'll know if you have a node overload issue.This is what i did to find my issue and it was jitter,big thanks to abc as i followed his instructions with this issue.

Well there's the problem,he has charter as his ISP    :D

They are known to have a large amount of jitter from node overload,especially at peak hours 6 - 9 pm.

Have you tried playing during the day (if possible) and then play at peak times and see if there is a difference.I have the same provider and gave them documented proof of unstable line quality,which was ignored of course.But i digress...point i was trying to make is game at different times to see if it makes a difference on your experience.

And if it does then start running ping test at peak hours run 5 tests to pingtest.net for 7 days and then you'll know if you have a node overload issue.This is what i did to find my issue and it was jitter,big thanks to abc as i followed his instructions with this issue.

I had them come out to check the signal also. they said my signal was too high so they adjusted it (supposedly) but no change in gaming. yeah ive tried playing different times from around 1-7pm on days off and during early morn hours like 12-3 am as i work late office hrs.how did you fix the node issue? or did you just have to switch providers?

On the Internet Diagnosis I'd rather see the top half of the details page. It looks like you may have a spike issue.  Also is your geo-filter in the approximately the same location as where you live? 

sorry about that took screen shots of both both i guess i didn't paste in first one here you go. yeah its in my general area. I've tried moving it closer to TN as i live in NC near the ocean  but its not helped with ping

internet d 2.pdf

Guest Netduma_Iain

Dota-angel, I'm just going to tell you the facts. I can't advice you on your ISP so please don't ask me to. 

• Our ping test is very short, so its unlikely to catch a spike if there rare
  • You have a spike in our short test, its nearly double your base ping
  • Our test disables the Internet so nothing should be impacting your ping

That spike maybe the issue. Also I think your ping could be a little lower, how far away is the host from your home approximately? 

Dota-angel, I'm just going to tell you the facts. I can't advice you on your ISP so please don't ask me to. 

• Our ping test is very short, so its unlikely to catch a spike if there rare
  • You have a spike in our short test, its nearly double your base ping
  • Our test disables the Internet so nothing should be impacting your ping

That spike maybe the issue. Also I think your ping could be a little lower, how far away is the host from your home approximately? 

i have the host filter on 756 km at the moment I've tried lower. i have it in my general area on my state on the map. If it is a spike issue can this be fixed? 

update** I attempted to game a little more last night running geo filter at around 400-500km.  ran diagnosis a few more times and there is still a spike of around 38. the only way i was able to play any decent game was when i set congestion control to 10% but even then the ping was not consistent.still would jump everywhere

Guest Netduma_Iain

On the spike issue unfortunately its not our end as you can see we block everything so nothing is using your Internet and therefore should not impact the result. Fuzzy did you manage to resolve it?

In the meantime can you try moving your home location around the states and see if you find any hosts that play better for you. 

@ddotangle unfortunately my issue was not resolved.I went above and beyond trying to get a tier 1 tech to look at my documented proof of overload and no dice.They didn't want to hear it as long as your getting 80 % of the speeds they promise they have met their obligation.They will never admit the node overload is their issue,it's always something else.

So i can't switch providers as the only other option is DSL at 6 / 1 which isn't an option.If you run the pingtests and find it's a jitter issue and they don't address the issue,Then IMO if you have other ISP options i would switch.

Your situation may be different than mine so run the pingtests to find out if jitter and overload is the issue.

@ddotangle unfortunately my issue was not resolved.I went above and beyond trying to get a tier 1 tech to look at my documented proof of overload and no dice.They didn't want to hear it as long as your getting 80 % of the speeds they promise they have met their obligation.They will never admit the node overload is their issue,it's always something else.

So i can't switch providers as the only other option is DSL at 6 / 1 which isn't an option.If you run the pingtests and find it's a jitter issue and they don't address the issue,Then IMO if you have other ISP options i would switch.

Your situation may be different than mine so run the pingtests to find out if jitter and overload is the issue.

well that sucks but it doesn't surprise me much. I have Time Warner in my area but I'm not sure they are any better. Thanks for the replies though. is it possible that if i purchase another modem myself and set it up may fix the issue?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Dota,

I'm just going on the facts you showed. Have you got a friend near by that you can take the router to and try it out there. See if its definitely your connection causing the problem? 

For sure try taking it to someone's house that has a different ISP than you (charter) and try gaming and running the same test from that location and you'll find out pretty quick if it's an ISP issue.

I'm not saying jump ship with Charter,like Iain said you need to find out if it is indeed your connection or some other variable at work.Try to pin point the issue before you buy another modem or switch ISP's.As it would suck to switch providers and have the same issue's or even worse.have bigger issue's.

The guys on this forum ( duma staff and members) can and will help you fix pretty much any issue you will run across.But when it comes to our connection issues,it's out of their hands.But i assure you the staff and members will do everything possible to help you resolve your issue.

So try what Iain suggested and post back with the results and then go from there    :)

• 1 month later...

update.. I gave up for about a month on this. finally got charter to give me a new modem ran a new wire and i have  my internet diag showing exceptional on both jitter and spikes with no packet loss..I'm still unable to play any games without horrible lag..where do we go from here? because at this point i've done everything i can do on my end but nothing helped. and its not just advanced warfare thats unplayable now..destiny, battlefield 4, and ghost are dominated by lag when i try to play..I'm at my wits end with this router and trying to get the results everyone else is getting. It seems like I'm the only person thats a lost cause. below is the new internet diag..I really want this to work but so far i just have a $200 investment i can't use for my needs..anyone out there that can get this working for me?

internet diag show details.pdf

• Netduma Staff

update.. I gave up for about a month on this. finally got charter to give me a new modem ran a new wire and i have  my internet diag showing exceptional on both jitter and spikes with no packet loss..I'm still unable to play any games without horrible lag..where do we go from here? because at this point i've done everything i can do on my end but nothing helped. and its not just advanced warfare thats unplayable now..destiny, battlefield 4, and ghost are dominated by lag when i try to play..I'm at my wits end with this router and trying to get the results everyone else is getting. It seems like I'm the only person thats a lost cause. below is the new internet diag..I really want this to work but so far i just have a $200 investment i can't use for my needs..anyone out there that can get this working for me?

Now that your set-up has changed, it might be best to start a new thread with the information requested here. Or you could post it here in this thread - either way the updated info will be needed so that your lag issue can be sorted  :)

• Netduma Staff

65 down 5 up is what i pay for. i already posted internet diagnosis in last post heres geo filter information requested

For some reason I can't open the internet diagnosis file. Would you to post those screen shots as shown here so I can see them :) The pics of the GeoFilter look right though. A ping of 40ms is very good so it doesn't make sense that there is so much lag in the games.

• Administrators

I can't see your internet diagnosis pdf. As crossy mentioned you have a 40ms ping. That is good, so there isn't much room for improvement. 

i live on the other side of the state from you and also have charter. try putting home around just east of charlotte, 500mi radius, 30ms PA. strict mode engaged. thats been getting me decent lobbies. to be honest though... AW really is complete connection trash. even at 30ms the game can be WAY behind.

just looked at your PDF, definitely keep it well east of asheville, your second one is about there. move between charlotte and wilmington.

thanks for the replies.. i was wrong to think my isp had fixed the issue spikes continued all week finally cancelled service i now have att uverse . nvg510 is the gateway they gave its a router modem combo gateway. i tried to find a way to dmz in the gateway. only thing i found was the passthrough option and put the wan ip there for r1 .  . i was able to get it set up with the r1 however I'm unable to get out of a moderate nat type. here the screen shots for diag and geo.  connection is still very jumpy. i downgraded my speeds to 19 d and 2 up i also change algorithm to preemptive.

geo http://imgur.com/6CYNLQD

Internet diagnosis  http://i.imgur.com/aXftdQg.jpg 

http://imgur.com/10JUkqZ

• Netduma Staff

thanks for the replies.. i was wrong to think my isp had fixed the issue spikes continued all week finally cancelled service i now have att uverse . nvg510 is the gateway they gave its a router modem combo gateway. i tried to find a way to dmz in the gateway. only thing i found was the passthrough option and put the wan ip there for r1 .  . i was able to get it set up with the r1 however I'm unable to get out of a moderate nat type. here the screen shots for diag and geo.  connection is still very jumpy. i downgraded my speeds to 19 d and 2 up i also change algorithm to preemptive.

geo http://imgur.com/6CYNLQD

Internet diagnosis  http://i.imgur.com/aXftdQg.jpg 

http://imgur.com/10JUkqZ

Do you have the GeoFilter disabled when are testing the NAT? :)

• Netduma Staff

thanks for the reply :). I tried checking it both ways

Ok, I see, so it was disabled when you checked for the NAT? Would you be able to jump in chat? It might be easier to sole the issue in there :)

yeah i can go to chat. i had it enabled. the first time i checked then i changed it to disable when you posted to see if it helped.its enabled now

• Netduma Staff

Solved this with ddotangel in chat :)

Solution:

1. Turn off console.
  2. Disable GeoFilter.
  3. Turn on console.
  4. Load game
  5. You should have Open NAT now if you have followed instructions here.
  6. Re-enable GeoFilter.

Archived