Having Lots Of Problems

I have been using the R1 for a few days. I keep getting to the point every few hours where I have to reboot the R1 and my modem because when I speedtest I am getting 100+ ms ping <2mbps down and my normal 11-12mbps upload. When I speed test straight from the modem wired to my pc it is between 8-10ms ping 115mbps download average and 11-12mbps upload. I don't know what is causing my R1 to make my connection slow down to a crawl like this but it is getting very frustrating. I will probably factory reset but I would like any input on as to why this keeps happening and if someone would like to share all the correct settings for the router with my speeds I would appreciate it. I also noticed that if I untick enable for vpn in advanced and save it then it is ticked in the standard vpn section. I then untick the standard vpn and the advanced becomes ticked...Not sure if it should be doing that or if that has anything to do with it but I do find it quite odd. Thanks for any help you may have for me. I may not respond for a few hours as I am going to bed now but will be checking replies as soon as I get up.

Edit: After rebooting everything and with having no dl or ul cap I am still not getting my full speeds. I am getting 11ms ping about 80mbps down and around 10mbps up

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Diggy,

Thanks for purchasing the router & welcome to the forum. Sorry about the issues you're having. A few things:

1. VPN has nothing to do with speed so I recommend you disconnect from VPN and untoggle any devices at the top
  2. It sounds like you've messed up your congestion control, don't worry its an easy fix

To fix, select "Congestion Control" then:

1. Set both anti-floods to 100%
  2. Click "Reset Distribution" at the bottom and try again

Please let me know how you get on 

First, firmware version is important. What version are you on?

What else is important is to go to Congestion Control > Anti-flood Algorithim to Reactive (not pre-emptive for you).

Under Anti-flood click on Set Bandwidth and input 115 for Download and 12 for Upload (you said that was your speeds).

Download Cap and Upload Cap at 100% (both)

Edit: I see Iain has replied already whilst I was typing this lol, ignore what I've said and allow Iain to run you through it. :)

None of the "Devices" are highlighted in vpn it's just the box at the bottom that says enable. If I untick it, save, and refresh then check the advanced settings the enable button is ticked. I do the same for advanced then refresh and the "regular" on is enabled again. I can't keep both of them off. I have my anti-flood to 100 currently and also have it set to reactive. Still losing bandwidth while speed testing even with those settings. On the latest firmware 1.02.7 was also happening on .6 and .2 when I got it.

Guest Netduma_Iain

So you expect to get 12mbps but you're getting 2mbps with a high ping, is that correct?

Are you doing this test via wire on a PC?

So you expect to get 12mbps but you're getting 2mbps with a high ping, is that correct?

Are you doing this test via wire on a PC?

Yes I am testing on a wired pc and I am expecting to get 110+mbps with a ping of 10ms or less and getting less than 2mbps with pings over 100ms until I reboot my modem and R1 then it gets better for a while but eventually back to super slow.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Do you have all your congestion controls reset as mentioned above? Could you also let me know what modem you have and which ISP please.

Do you have all your congestion controls reset as mentioned above? Could you also let me know what modem you have and which ISP please.

Yes i have everything reset to 100 on congestion. I have Cox in San Diego. I actually got a new modem when the R1 came just to have all new equipment. The modem is an Arris Touchstone SB6182 Docsis 3.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Next time the speeds go down, please disconnect the R1 BUT keep the modem switched on. Then connect directly into the modem via PC or whatever and see if the speed it still low & has high pings please. 

Next time the speeds go down, please disconnect the R1 BUT keep the modem switched on. Then connect directly into the modem via PC or whatever and see if the speed it still low & has high pings please. 

Ok I'll give it a shot. I think I tried that but I may have rebooted the modem beforehand. I'll make sure I don't next time.

So far haven't had anymore slow downs. Been testing pretty close to what I should have. I'll keep my eyes peeled on it for another day or two. I guess I just can't drop my download or upload cap under 100. Any idea why that would cause so many issues? I thought we were supposed to drop it down a bit to leave some headroom on the connection but it seems as though it causes my connection some major issues.

You mention you have just got a new modem at the same time , you need to rule out if it is the modem at fault first by doing the pc to modem directly when the speed's diminish to see if you still have the problem.

If you do I would put in place your old modem and then see if the problem persists.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Diggy as Zennon mentioned I'm trying to see if its the modem. Another user had this problem lilstone & it turned out to be his modem. We are in the process of trying to figure out how to fix that modem.

If its not the modem I can investigate further with you :) 

Diggy as Zennon mentioned I'm trying to see if its the modem. Another user had this problem lilstone & it turned out to be his modem. We are in the process of trying to figure out how to fix that modem.

If its not the modem I can investigate further with you :)

You mention you have just got a new modem at the same time , you need to rule out if it is the modem at fault first by doing the pc to modem directly when the speed's diminish to see if you still have the problem.

If you do I would put in place your old modem and then see if the problem persists.

Well like I said so far now that I have the limiter set to 100 for dl and ul it hasn't happened, so it seems as though that is the culprit as far as I can see. I have tested the modem by itself wired to my pc and it's perfect. If anything changes I'll keep you posted but for now I feel the limiter is causing my issue for some odd reason. Thanks for all the input btw :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

My pleasure Diggy, I say keep it going for a few more days. If it doesn't happen we can try anti-flood to see if its causing it :)

Archived