wifi cuts in & out + other connection issues

So about a week ago I moved from Pennsylvania, all the way out to Phoenix, AZ. I just got my internet, and I hooked up my Netduma. Hoping to start playing some cod, and enjoying my much faster internet connection. Right now I'm using the Wifi connection because I don't have my new desk for my set up yet and i don't have a long enough Ethernet cable. My PS4 and Xbox One are in my bedroom, and I have 3 out of 4 bars on my laptop in the bedroom as well. So my connection is decent, and I have decent speeds too.

However, I'm noticing some drops in the wifi. I've also noticed that if I have the Netduma firmware open, it will say unable to ping server. That's when I notice that the Wifi has dropped, and it'll take a few seconds for the connection to become discoverable again. I haven't seen that it shuts the router itself off, it just seems like the connection just cuts in and out. Has anyone noticed this issue, and does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

I also had another issue when trying to connect the Xbox One. I went through the set up a new connection process on the XB1, and once completed, it wouldn't pull up the IP address, DNS, or anything. It pulled up all of the wrong information. If I remember correctly, it looked like it had actually pulled up the IP of the old router my sister had connected to the modem, and the DNS was completely blank. I was only able to connect it by using the Netduma Firmware to find the IP of the Xbox One, and entering in the IP & DNS manually. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

When I re-connected the Netduma at my place here in AZ, I never hit the reset button on the back of the Netduma. I just hooked everything up, and re-connected all of the devices I needed. I probably should hit the reset button on the Netduma but, I have a few questions first. 

-Should I & Do I need to hit reset because it was previously connected in PA, and now it's being used in AZ?

-Once I reset the modem, will it reset all of the settings in the firmware? I.E all of my port forwards, host filtering connections, password, wifi name, etc.

Any help here is greatly appreciated. I am going to run everything LAN soon but, I am waiting on a few items to get here before I can set everything up how I want it. I also want to figure out if there is any issues. I'd rather not ignore them just because I'm going to run LAN. 

THANKS!

• Netduma Staff

Hi Scooter :)

First of all, try going to Settings >> Miscellaneous and disable 'Wifi Workaround' as this can sometimes cause Wifi dropouts. You could also run a Wifi channel analyser to find the best channel as there could be Wifi congestion at your new house which is causing the problem.

Did you try a hard reboot of the console? If not it might be worth giving that a try. Also make sure that it is connected with an automatic IP :)

You don't really need to factory reset it. If you are going to do it though, don't use the factory reset button on the back - use the button in Settings >> Miscellaneous.

If you factory reset it all settings will be reset - it will be like you just got it.

Hey Crossy, 

I disabled the wifi work around, and I'm hoping that will work. 

As far as the wifi analyzer, I actually found the same exact page you provided when looking for some answers on my own yesterday. I decided to change it from channel 6 to channel 3 just so I could get a better connection. However when I use the analyzer app it acts weird. For example, it will tell me that channels 1,2,3 are best with 3 being the absolute best. Then maybe a minute later it will say that one is horrible, and 9,10,11 are best. It's very strange. I must have a lot of interference where I'm at. 

• Netduma Staff

Hey Crossy, 

I disabled the wifi work around, and I'm hoping that will work. 

As far as the wifi analyzer, I actually found the same exact page you provided when looking for some answers on my own yesterday. I decided to change it from channel 6 to channel 3 just so I could get a better connection. However when I use the analyzer app it acts weird. For example, it will tell me that channels 1,2,3 are best with 3 being the absolute best. Then maybe a minute later it will say that one is horrible, and 9,10,11 are best. It's very strange. I must have a lot of interference where I'm at. 

Ok, hopefully that was the cause :)

If it says channels 1, 2 and 3 are best, then you change to change 3 and re-run the scan it will tell you a different channel is better as it has found a network on 1/2/3. Not sure if you'd changed channel before re-doign the scan but if you had then that is probably why it was changing :)

Archived