Looking for new Main router to feed into the Netduma, dlink ac3200 or nighthawk x6

So we have a lot of devices in our house, including 4 xbox one and 2 ps4.  Thats in addition to multiple computers, 4 iPads, 5 iPhones and a host of other wifi devices.  Currently I have the apple time capsule, which feeds into my netduma for my personal xbox one and PS4 (screw the kids, the netduma is mine).  The problem is, Im getting a lot of wifi dropping since we moved.  The time capsule can no longer handle all the devices in my house and I am constantly having to reset it.  So heres the question, what is the best router out there right now?  

Currently, Im considering the nighthawk X6 or the Dlink ac3200.  I really want a triband router to help handle all the wifi devices I have. I should also mention that all the gaming consoles are connected via ethernet cable.

Does anyone have either of these routers and if so, what are your thoughts on them.  Keep in mind that I own a home built in 1972 so the walls are thick and one room has 3 walls of concrete block.  I keep the router in the central room so the furthest point to the modem in any direction is no more that 45 ft (though walls)

• Netduma Staff

It sounds like you might be better of going got wireless extenders. They are things that plug into the main socket and extend the Wifi. So you could spread these across your house so the the Wifi signal isn't just coming from one place. I use Develo ones and they are really good. Personally I would recommend doing it like that and not with one super powered router :)

It sounds like you might be better of going got wireless extenders. They are things that plug into the main socket and extend the Wifi. So you could spread these across your house so the the Wifi signal isn't just coming from one place. I use Develo ones and they are really good. Personally I would recommend doing it like that and not with one super powered router :)

its not that I'm not getting good signals, I am.  the problem is that the wifi is overloaded.  Too many devices and the router starts dropping them

• Netduma Staff

its not that I'm not getting good signals, I am.  the problem is that the wifi is overloaded.  Too many devices and the router starts dropping them

I think that this would be a better alternative to one main router. Because then you've got the devices split between 2 or 3 different AP. But if you just want one router, then I've heard that the Nighthawk you mentioned is very good and also the Asus RT-AC3200.

I think that this would be a better alternative to one main router. Because then you've got the devices split between 2 or 3 different AP. But if you just want one router, then I've heard that the Nighthawk you mentioned is very good and also the Asus RT-AC3200.

Im planning on using the time capsule to extend the wifi so theres more than one device.  But its old (like 5 years) so the technology in it is very outdated.  

Asus RT-AC3200 will handle anything you need. Also I would then recommend flashing to Merlin or ddwrt

so you think the Asus is better than the nighthawk and the link?   What is "flashing to merlin or dddwrt?"   Sorry, but I don't know a ton about advanced networking.  

One reason I want to switch from time capsule is because it doesn't play nice with multiple consoles. Port forwarding is awkward and it doesn't do DMZ well.  I love my netduma, but it can't handle all the devices in my home, thats why I just use it for host filtering on my devices.  one port on my main router goes right to the netduma and then the other ports go to switches to handle kids computers, tivo and kids xbox and ps4's.  

Archived