Question regarding ping-spikes and packet loss

RouterReini

Hello Netduma!

I am considering buying one of your feature-packed routers but I have doubts if it can help me. I really hope you guys can clear things up and make a buy recommandation. Although I feel like nothing but moving to a bigger city will help me..

My problem: Low download rate/ping spikes/packetloss.

My download is around 1,3 MBit/s which is obviously horrible but it is certainly enough to play video games. Counter Strike for example requires only 0,5-0,6 Mbit/s on "low quality" servers (64-tick).

But while I have 1,3 Mbit/s download I have a considerably higher ping during what I call "Internet prime-time". Between 16 o'clock and 23 o'clock I have random ping spikes, packet-loss and all around a higher ping (110 instead of 50).

I am no expert but I feel like my problem isn't hardware related but a thing only my ISP could resolve (they won't tho).

In the discription of your router it says you can minimize packet loss/ping etc.

Is that only the case if I am downloading while I play? I can't do that/ don't do that anyways...

I hope you understood my problem and it would be great if a person who knows what exactly the router is capable of gives me an honest answer.

Sorry for my english, I am not a native speaker.

Greetings :)

Reading this, sadly I don't see the Netduma router helping your case. The problem you're having, is one your ISP is only providing very little speed. Yet the main issue during peak usage hours, others in your area using the same isp as you, and things are being overloaded. So bandwidth is worst, pings go up, and packet loss starts to happen. This all happens because the shared bandwidth they're trying to share in your area isn't enough, and they have over sold the bandwidth.

If this is something they're not gonna correct, that is sad, and shows what there company is about. So finding another ISP will probably be your only option to truly fix your issue. Again this is sad, as most the time this requires moving, as there is no competition when it comes to choosing isp's in most living places.

You need to do the following:

Signup at speedtest.net

Run a speedtest, and a pingtest everyday for 1 month.

If your ISP isn't providing you with 80% of your advertised speeds you can threaten legal action from the FCC (i think)...anyways you ISP will send out 5 trucks and resolve the issue.

Call them with these results (normally 1 months results) then simply post on twitter a link to the results.

I probably didn't make it clear enough but I actually get 1,3 Mbit/s download. I can watch streams, download games at steam etc. The download rate itself doesn't go down.

Everything is fine except for... 0,5% packet loss and 110 ping instead of 50-60 ping. I am only affected at peak times :( .

I probably didn't make it clear enough but I actually get 1,3 Mbit/s download. I can watch streams, download games at steam etc. The download rate itself doesn't go down.

Everything is fine except for... 0,5% packet loss and 110 ping instead of 50-60 ping. I am only affected at peak times :( .

Well this means, you need to run traceroute's during non peak, and peak hours of usage. This can give you a better ideal where your ping is starting to climb, and if it is within the first couple hops. Then it is most likely a isp related issue they need to resolve. Also if you are getting true packet loss, running a traceroute will show where it's starting at. Just remember with a traceroute, if you are getting real packet loss. Whatever hop it starts on, it will continue threw the rest of them. As some people will see one hop start dropping packet's, and think its actual packet loss. When it's a matter of that router(hop) having ICMP packet's set to low priority for replying to, and if the router is busy, it will just not respond to such request.

You may already know this kind of stuff, so if you do. Just disregard, as I am just trying to be helpful, and not everyone thinks that way.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

Thanks for considering purchasing our router. It appears you are on the cusp of being able to play the game.

This thread may help, as the OP also had a low bandwidth connection and played CS:GO.  @Netduma_Fraser is going to determine if its possible to lower client rate in CS:GO as it seems very very high for a game. If you're interested PM him and he can get back to you.

Best,

Iain

EDIT: I forgot to link the thread lol, sorry 

Archived