Avoiding Certain Servers / Hops?

JConnor

This may be outside the scope of the Netduma, but I was wondering if Fraser, Ian and others could answer this question:

I did a trace route using PingPlotter to and from different servers, and they all came back with packet loss (4% - 7%) at a certain IP.

Is there a way to avoid that IP and go "around" it, so I don't drop packets on the way to a game server / host, etc?

Four to seven percent may not be a lot, but we're talking twitch shooters like CoD, CSGO, etc. where that can mean the difference between life and death...

• Netduma Staff

You might be able to ring up your ISP and see if they can route your traffic on a different route to avoid it - I heard one person say on here who was a competitive LoL player that their ISP routed the traffic differently to the LoL servers for them to reduce the latency. But that might not be possible if the hop that the packets are getting lost at are apart of the server network :)

Thanks, for the input :)

I'm trying to avoid calling my ISP, but if it comes down to that, I will.

I thought I saw somewhere in my internet travels a program that can route things for you from your PC?

It was probably wishful thinking, but I swear, one time, many years ago, I saw a program... Freeware at that... That blocked certain IPs. It may be for incoming ports, but there should be something out there that does the same for outgoing, but then again, it may just be wishful thinking on my part since that's probably not how routing works?

Yebs i can confirm that while i was fighting with my ISP at one point they send a supervisor and he did some stuff and he told me that they have nachnge somebstuff on my routing.

• Netduma Staff

It may be for incoming ports, but there should be something out there that does the same for outgoing, but then again, it may just be wishful thinking on my part since that's probably not how routing works?

You could easily block outgoing IPs/Ports but I think that would just stop the packets reaching the destination all together and not change the routing :)

This would be great for me too if my ISP would change the routing for me. Unfortunately, the ISP doesn't want to or cannot. Maybe it's because I haven't got a Tier 1 ISP.

Blocking some IPs could be done in Linux with a firewall script. That would work with an OpenWRT flashed router too.

Hate to be bearer of bad news but an ISP is not going to change peering for a single user unless it becomes a mass issue for their traffic.

You can highlight it to them (in case not aware) and they have channels to escalate if it is a main peering link but I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Archived