Wireless Settings for Asus RT-AC68U

I trying to tweak my wireless settings for my router which is setup as an access point with my R1 as the primary.  I am trying to get the maximum thoroughput  possible.  Here are couple of screen shots for anyone who is a little more tech savvy than myself.  Hopefully this will help someone else out there with an Asus router.  

On Tx power adjustment raising it to 100% will give you better signal strength

On Wireless General

2.4GHz

> b/g protection (uncheck)

> optimize for xbox (uncheck)

> Channel Bandwidth (40 MHz gives faster rates but will give smaller range)

> Channel Control (depends on your neighbor hood) you can scan your neighborhood and then pick the least used

5GHz

> b/g protection (uncheck)

> optimize for xbox (uncheck)

> Channel Bandwidth (80 MHz gives faster rates but will give smaller range)

> Channel Control (depends on your neighbor hood) you can scan your neighborhood and then pick the least used

So next to scan for best network channel:
On Mac
1. Launch Wireless Diagnostic
2. (Window) Top Menu > Scan
3. Scan Now
post-168-0-41640100-1421822188_thumb.png
4. On the left it tells you the best 2.4ghz channel and 5ghz channel

On Windows
i'll get back to you.

Thanks abc123 for all the info. But why uncheck the Xbox optimization?

because you don't have an Xbox on the Asus network.  So any optimizations it is making for the "Xbox" are just going to degrade the network for other devices.

It has really been bothering me about my ping during the ping test.  I live in a major metropolitan city but my ping was 30 and sometimes as high as 60.  And then it hit me my interface to the netduma is my iMac and how is it connected (yes-- wirelessly)  So I did everything on earth to try a tweak the connection with not a whole lot of success.  Oh yeah by the way the iMac is not even three feet maybe less away from the asus router that it is connected wirelessly too.  So I broke down and connected it by ethernet wire to the asus router.  And guess what first ping test -------- 18ms---------.  If I did not before believe in being connected by wires I do now.  It is the only way to get the best connection.  So if there is anyone out there trying to get the best ping possible-- connect by wire.  

Thanks abc123 for the suggestions on my wireless connection.  I am going to leave those in effect too. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Glad to hear that, sounds like an interference issue. I've been a wire proponent since Alexander Graham Bell showed up on the scene.

Archived