HELP! I tried updating the firmware on my XR500 and dont know what im doing!

Hi , now before i say anything. I still stop at a stop sign and wait for it to turn green. 

Now that we have addressed my brain size lets move on to "idiot of the day"
(Me of course, dont take my glory aka im not as smart as one might think")

For some unknown reason, i purchased the XR500 from a person who claims to have bought it new and used for 15 mins then realized he wanted the mesh system. And I being the bright guy that i am, came in quick like the police at dunkin doughnuts on national doughnut day. (that was a joke) aka I bought the XR500 from this individual and spent the last 2 hours on support with netgear because i believed this random stranger about some elaborate story of he only used it for 15 mins then put it back in the box. I know I know.. But you dont understand how but ill paint a very small picture for you. The box was crisp and even the CAT5E RJ-45 ethernet cable still had the plastic "sleeve" around it , and to back that unbelievable yet unfortunate fact was the "sticker" was still in the box... After seeing this i was sold, and all in to find out he had registered with extended warranty and aka im screwed. So i wont bore you on the details of netgear's Support team and handling this issue. Just know its now officially mine. 

So i search google for XR500 Latest Firmware Update and poof im magically in the sub form on this website in the XR500 LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE page and reading how to get on the latest version. Ok heres the juicy part! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING! So i follow the steps to the T, and forgot to dot my i's becuase now im on the "intermediate" version and when i click the other 2 Suggested links that say if "link1" doesnt work then try "link2" . Ok fair enough right. Well help me understand this... "link1" was  sunken ship and i immediately was informed that that file does not workk, so i did what i thought you have to do, "link2" is now loaded and i click apply, I get this message saying do i want to "rollback to an earlier firmware, this is an older firmware version and asks me if im sure i wanna go backwards instead of forward." Now im not the brightest crayon in the box but im pretty sure if i wanna go back i would just not have bought the XR500, but that ship has sailed and idk what to do SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE help and explain or elaborate to the smallest detail of what the hell am i supposed to be doing here?

Oh and FIRST TIME USING DUMAOS! 

Dont kill me with kidness" 
Im a big boy i can take the heat. 
So lemme have it .. Sooner than later , as Id like to connect to rocket league servers, which i couldnt find by the wya.. anyways, HELP with FIRMWARE PLEASE!

firmwareforforum.png

firmwareforumproblem.png

• Administrators

Hello, thanks for the laugh! So you said link 1 the file doesn't wprk - can you walk me through what happened there?

So you're on the intermediate firmware that's great, next step is to download RC14 from the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5nk0fxkhzosvp2/XR500-V2.3.2.134-dumaos33-rc14.img?dl=0 if you're referring to when you click on the link where is says can't load this file type just click download underneath. 

Then try to upgrade to that firmware version, if it gives you an error then try upgrading to the RC10 firmware first.

The message you got about the older firmware version is fine, you can just continue.

Posted (edited)

Ok thank you for the feedback and quick response. Do not mind my sense of humor as it tends to get in my way sometimes. 

@Netduma Fraser I have been trying to solve this for the past 8 hours! Please i know im not the smartest person in the room , but sometimes they need help too.
I have applied multiple , like 8 to be exact attempts from switching between rc10, to 2.3.2.134 (nothing following after 4) , and the intermediate firmware.... and of course i have been able to impliment version rc14 and once i do so. I get errors after errors, and honestly idk what to do at this point. Im going to reset my xr500 as i dont know what kind of mess and settings ive already "screwed up" by "applying a setting , then my brain forgets to go back and un-apply , so now i have 943095u342 different configurations and settings applied and im left with half my speeds. I have a Gig , and when i do test speed its a nightmare, ill give you a little insight. I switched from a RAX80 and my average speeds on console were 1000+ (consistently) , and thats great and all, but my dam ping/latency was always more than high 60's and ive even been the only device hard-wired in and have tried multiple ways, my brain hurts.. ok where was i. Yes i  then found an XR500 ((finally, as ive been looking for quite sometime now) and 3 hours later im now a 1st time user of Duma Os, Now the wholeeleeeeee reason i even bought the xr500 because i play a game called Rocket League and on a Xbox Series X (Hard Wired, with static ip, and ddns (paid ddns) and also have a 5 port 1000mbps switch and CAT8 ethernet cables.)  Now back to the main point, as we just took a hard left and thats called a detour. I just wanna lower my damn ping in Rocket League! Thats all! and have a fast sstable connection as i think i meet the requirements to do so. Yet when i use geo-filter and the ping thing (yes ive watched many videos and "how to's" as well as read and applied every detail in  the forum section explaining  each part in detail of the features and all that good stuff) I only find maybe 5 servers and i look and it will be like 16 or 17 FAILL! and almost all of the mare in the RED and sometimes none if any are GREEN! and worst part is , ive never had more than 1 GREEN ping in a single test sesssion. I need your help please... Im already a huge fan and never wanna switch again. As i find my calling was the xr500 , i was going to get dthe xr1000  , but apparently the xr500 suits my needs best as a quick google search states the xr500 has more "features" than the xr1000 and says the xr500 is better for gamers who are wired in. Well now that you are basically caught up with my frustration and lack of jokes in this reply, is because i cant even pick the only game i play with geo filter or when i attach my xbox series x to a game, its not listed.( i know i have to pick console games) and not to mention i cant even benefit from the "profile" option on the ping thing section and back to this firmware which im almost certain i have sscrewed up. I get "device not found" and half the "RAPPS" are not working and simply keep loading till ... well it never loads or finishes, and bam another error message. PLEASE HELP ME!! 

Want my email or cell? 
You can call day or night , poopy ill even give you my mac address and turn on remote management. Im that desperate im trying to stay calm. But my wife and my daughter are enough stress , last thing i need is my go to place aka my game room and not be able to use the features i initially thought were going to be useful. 

Longtime Fan, Un-Committed and Unconvinced, almost a lost client
L2W

firmware geofilter problem.png

geomap no rocket league.png

link 1 and 2.png

ping rl and only 3 successful 17 fail.png

Edited by L2W
Forgot to put the pictures and videos

• Administrators

Make sure you're on RC14 and after that do a factory reset, it's a jump in firmware so the reset is advised, that should eliminate the errors.

For consoles you just had to add them to the Geo-Filter that's all, you don't need a specific game, nor does the game have to be listed for it to work on a console. You've added it correctly. The profiles button is not worth worrying over, all it does is change the radius size, just do this manually. Ping Heatmap tries to ping servers we have listed, if it can't ping them for any reason it'll show N/A / failed, it doesn't mean you can't connect to them. The Geo-Filter is where you'll make the connections to the server. 

I'd suggest using the Geo-Filter main page rather than having it squished onto the dashboard as you can't really see anything there. Set your home location, set a radius of around 1000km, boot up the console, then try playing. 

What speeds are you getting on speedtest.net?

Hi @Netduma Fraser ,

Not happy at all... 
Ill just get right into it this time. 

1. I loaded intermediate
2. Then loaded RC14 (didnt work)
3. Then loaded RC10 (did work)
4. Then loaded RC14 (did work)
5. Then "Factory Reset" (I push and held the "reset" button on the back of the XR500)
6. Went through initial setup
7. When i got to the PING TEST in the setup (after i picked my location)
8. 45 Mins is how long it took LOADING "spinning and spinning" and would be still loading if i didnt click "back" to go back to the previous step BECAUSE I HAD ENOUGH!
9. I skipped that step (the skip tab in the middle of my options)
10. Now its been loading symbol trying to load dumaos for almost 2 HOURS!
11. I Cannot Access DumaOS! and now i either have to switch to one of my other routers so my wife and kids can have wifi, because at this rate NO ONE CAN CONNECT ONLINE!

Ok. You gotta give me something better than what your telling me. Im trying here. But maybe i mis-read and implied the wrong steps into this process?
And i have everything on screen record, If you would like to see them, send me a private file transfer link. As all my setting and some private information get displayed.

And to think i was going to purchase the R3 because why buy netgear when they sub out your service when i can go directly to the SOURCE! 
But not anymore. Unless something changes fast. This is the worst experience ive had when i had the highest expectations and put you guys so high on the totem pole and even advertised to others just how amazing this software is. Well idk anymore, I must be the only one.. who cant get it right. 

Please respond quick, 
I don't want to go back to ASUS or my RAX80, at least im willing to see this through

L2W

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How long did you hold the reset button for? Clear your browser cache/cookies then reload the page, does it load correctly then?

@Netduma Fraser Ive held it for over 5 secs, then i tried 10, then i tried 30 seconds..
Not to mention the setup wizard that it takes you through after the initial "Netgear setup" the ping part, is it normal for me to never be able to finish this task? because it freezes everytime. sometimes it does not have till test 4 but never get passed that test. Then when i click "go back" it locks up on me and freezes or crash's, then when i open my browser back up and its just a loading screen . Ive ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew in CP and still nothing. So your guess is as good as mine at this point. I now have my ASUS router hooked up, im dissapointed. I really didnt wanna go back as i felt NetDuma's Software is superior compared to everything ive tried, and ive tried almost every gaming router and non gaming high end routers. Sadly, its come to this. So i put in a order for the R3 , is the DumaOs 4 features going to benefit in my particular situation given you know i only play one game and already on DumaOs 3 i cannot even ping servers or anything. As i dont even see the symbols in the chart thats listed. And every server is RED ping. But it would be real screwed up if i purchased the R3 and i come to find out it wouldnt benefit. But that's where the good ol trust and honesty come in to play. So I have a brand new warranty on my XR500 over a year with Netgear support, and im willing to give up the XR500 and almost $200 worth of warranty's and extendeds depending on how you answer. If anyone else is reading this. Yeah i know im not the brightest crayon in the box but at least im not the brown crayon, no one picks the brown crayon . I want to get my connecction as best as possible given my setup. So back to my XR500. What do i do with it? Proceed with a warranty ticket with Netgear?  

• Administrators

30 seconds is the time needed to hold the reset button, otherwise it'll just reboot. You could attempt to access routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm and then re-upgrade to the firmware from there which may help. It's probably not able to contact the speedtest server but should fail automatically. Are you accessing the interface by HTTPS? (If you look at the URL bar on the browser when on the interface does it say HTTP or HTTPS)

Did you just use the Geo-Filter page rather than on the dashboard to see if you could see servers? It will help you yes but I will say, that the R3/DumaOS 4 is more complex than the DumaOS on the XR. The warranty wouldn't allow you to return the XR, it would allow you to get a replacement if needed BUT the firmware you're on is beta so they probably wouldn't accept that as a legit reason, you'd need to downgrade first before going through a ticket and it's probable it can be resolved through troubleshooting as well - I don't see anything we couldn't get you through given some time.

Thank you for your opinons and answers where you could express the truth. I have done some research given the time passed. And i want to add to your comment when you say that the R3/DumaOS 4 is more complex than what im currently experiencing. See i like that you use your choice of words in that particual context. Not saying you were the deciding vote so to speak, but to me i think its best to be blunt and why imagine when you can see for yourself. I have noticed the interace and all around layout of DOS4 is night and day to comparison of my current view. May i ask , what features are the stand out differences?, Not meaning just in the direction of my XR500, but lets say the next in line competitor netgear (xr1000 v2) or the R3 from you guys, what does DOS4 have to offer that would benefit my situation in particular along the lines of features? I may just give it a go and find out for myself. Doesn't matter as i dont need a sales pitch, more of a friendly walk through , nothing thorough. How do i put this. "From a Gamer's Perspective" like from the outside looking in , "i only notice the shiny face and the glitter. Would rather just have stayed home as and folded socks instead of smoke and mirrors." Iam going to give the XR500 index a go and hopefully be some sort of change from last experience. As for the HTTP AND HTTPS contriversy ,  

USING HTTPS.png