always about one second behind

Hi All!

Not sure if this is normal or what everyone else experiences but I constantly get these inconsistencies throughout playing on call of duty servers, specifically when playing MW3 Resurgence maps. 

image.png.0efbf1912c7f347ce236019c61bf8398.png

I also regularly experience issues where I watch the persons killcam who killed me and it shows me shooting in any direction but the person I was trying to get. Secondly (and very much related) its as though I am constantly about half a second behind the player shooting me causing me to die often and renders playing MW3 Resurgence unplayable at most times (especially in the evenings i find). And this is like an issue that occurs pretty much every match of Resurgence. I realize I am playing on 21 tick rate servers but still... Multiplayer seems to be ok, no issues of delay there.

I play on mouse and key, ethernet connection, open NAT, latest Netduma firmware, high end PC, in-game settings all taylored for performance, G-sync on, and have decent internet (23mbps upload, 254mbps download) and an A+ bufferbloat grade. I am the only one using the internet in my unit.

I also live in an apartment, so I get NBN fibre to the building (being in Sydney, Australia) but its copper cables to my actual unit. Again, just speculating on this point. 

I play around with the Netduma router settings i.e. congestion controls and been through the forums here time and time again, researched the issue to death, but I just can't seem to sort the issue out. Wondering if someone can help, im at my wits end!!! Thanks :)

• Simon Thomas changed the title to always about one second behind

In theory it could be congestion at peak times so on that end all you can do is mitigate your buffering by using qos to a lower state...you can also check whether it your line having certain issues at peak times as that can be the cause for why your seeing drastic differences to do so you'll need to run ping plotter and monitor the network for 24 hours or the time you know it unstable to use that as proof against your provider.

Hi @DARKNESS

Thank you for the explanation, really appreciated it. 

So, I downloaded Ping plotter like you suggested, good recommendation btw.

The top graph represents the TPG internet IP address i use being my service provider. The internet protocol being IPV4.

The bottom graph is just the IP address of my Netduma router.

The time in the graphs is pretty much peak evening time for internet use.

Correct me if I am wrong but what the top graph is showing is that I am getting a lot of latency and packet loss from the IP address of my service provider (TPG).

This would certainly go a long way to explain why I feel like I am somehow a half second behind and on kill cams displays me shooting off target then getting dropped with ease.

Wondering if @Netduma Fraser can offer any wisdom?

image.thumb.png.0dd2d5d72c07a318d8317f08257f7518.png

3 hours ago, Simon Thomas said:

Hi @DARKNESS

Thank you for the explanation, really appreciated it. 

So, I downloaded Ping plotter like you suggested, good recommendation btw.

The top graph represents the TPG internet IP address i use being my service provider. The internet protocol being IPV4.

The bottom graph is just the IP address of my Netduma router.

The time in the graphs is pretty much peak evening time for internet use.

Correct me if I am wrong but what the top graph is showing is that I am getting a lot of latency and packet loss from the IP address of my service provider (TPG).

This would certainly go a long way to explain why I feel like I am somehow a half second behind and on kill cams displays me shooting off target then getting dropped with ease.

Wondering if @Netduma Fraser can offer any wisdom?

image.thumb.png.0dd2d5d72c07a318d8317f08257f7518.png

@Simon ThomasHi Mate TPG is cheap but not really good for gaming in my opinion and I believe there network is heavily congested hence why they are always so cheap.

I am with Leaptel at the moment way better than Telstra, Dodo, TPG, Mate Aussie Broadband have a look they have great savings and you will have a much better connection. For international gaming Leaptel uses GSL which is the best routing possible for direct paths to servers we Play Halo and play on the USA a lot and leaptel has had lower pings and a much better experience imo.

@Simon ThomasTo get accurate results connect straight to the modem/fiber box without the router. 

The hops that matter are 1-2 and the last hop however in some cases it normal to see packet loss on first hop as it just blocking ICMP packets. Which is why you typically use the last hop as the overall diagnosis. So if you have loss in the last hop check your equipment and if you don’t see any damage contact your ISP to resolve the issue.

• Administrators

Other than what the others have mentioned, based on your Geo-Filter ping graph it looks as though you would benefit from setting Steady Ping to 15ms in the expert mode as your ping varies too much for the simple method to counteract it fully. Once you do that you should notice some improvement.

Thanks everyone, so my issue as it turns was using a TP Link router that TPG gave me. So I was using a NBN box, TP Link router, and the netduma router when really what i needed to do was just use the NBN box and the Netduma router. So I took away the TP Link router and configured the Netduma router in Settings > Wan > and put it into PPPoE mode. 

14 hours ago, Simon Thomas said:

Thanks everyone, so my issue as it turns was using a TP Link router that TPG gave me. So I was using a NBN box, TP Link router, and the netduma router when really what i needed to do was just use the NBN box and the Netduma router. So I took away the TP Link router and configured the Netduma router in Settings > Wan > and put it into PPPoE mode. 

Yeah you was getting double router processing so I know you felt delayed in game lol