Switched from Xr1000 to Netduma r3

kay

I recently switched to netduma r3 router which i lowkey like better then the xr1000 when it comes to prioritization and the interface. 

However with netduma r3 router there's issue with the Wi-Fi being disconnect and it doesn't have the same wifi range in compare to the xr1000 router.

im considering switching back to xr1000 and returning the netduma r3 router. 

I agree, the WiFi range was a little short for us in our house too. I got an ASUS router, and put the R3 in its DMZ for our gaming devices with its WiFi disabled. It's working well for us with the ASUS handling WiFi and TV's etc. and the R3 can focus solely on gaming. Another idea is maybe disable WiFi on the R3 and set the XR1000 up as an access point for WiFi? 

Two routers might not be the ideal setup, just throwing out a couple of ideas. 

i was mainly thinking the same thing

so if i use two different routers, one for wifi the other for gaming will it put less stress on the main router im using ?

another question i have all the ethernet ports used can i use a one of ethernet cables to plug to the other router that being used as a wifi router ?

• Administrators
  • Split the bands, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds
  • Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
  • Experiment with the widths to see what gives better results
  • Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  • Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

You can connect another router to the R3 via ethernet yes.

Here’s the thing I connected the r3 as the main router and put the second router for the WiFi 

I watched this video and did everything he told me to do which it started to work but then the WiFi wasn’t working right and then I was hardwired and it wouldn’t load a page

• Administrators

ISP modem/router LAN port connected to R3 WAN/Internet Port. R3 LAN port to other router WAN/Internet port. Then put the other router in AP mode if it has it and that's all you need to do. 

JoyKiller has it stated perfectly above. you can make use of both devices. just stick the XR1000 into access point mode and turn the wi-fi radios on the R3 completely off. R3 does all the DHCP work, the XR1000 becomes an ethernet switch / access point. 

• Administrators
On 4/24/2024 at 3:10 AM, kay said:

also can connect ethernet devices to the secondary router will it work or no??

Yes you can do that - even if it is in AP mode 

@Netduma Fraser I have what looks like range issues since switching from the XR100 to the R3. I don't have many other WIFI signals around me and there isn't a lot of traffic so there isn't an issue of any bands being saturated. Even switching the settings doesn't seem to make a difference. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Michael1 said:

@Netduma Fraser I have what looks like range issues since switching from the XR100 to the R3. I don't have many other WIFI signals around me and there isn't a lot of traffic so there isn't an issue of any bands being saturated. Even switching the settings doesn't seem to make a difference. 

• Split the bands, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds
  • Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _  let me go do this. 

Any issue with the XR1000 set up as a router with the same SSID's but in another part of the house, or should it be put into AP mode?

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Michael1 said:
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _  let me go do this. 

Any issue with the XR1000 set up as a router with the same SSID's but in another part of the house, or should it be put into AP mode?

Should be okay but I'd suggest AP mode so all devices connected to it can be seen and interacted with on the R3

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Should be okay but I'd suggest AP mode so all devices connected to it can be seen and interacted with on the R3

Refresh my memory, what is the IP address once it is in AP mode?

• Administrators

Probably something like 192.168.1.254 but it should tell you when you go to change the mode

Once the XR1000 is in AP mode behind the R3, its access IP will be given by the DHCP of the R3 therefore in 192.168.77.XXX.

The simplest thing is to reserve an IP for it to always keep the same access address!