How to throttle bandwidth to a single device but share excess remaining between all other devices?? XR500

Hello all,

Longtime user of XR500 here. Great piece of equipment but I can't figure out how to cap badnwidth to a single device (in this case xbox) but share all remaining excess bandwidth between my remaining devices (so they're not limited by the bandwidth wheel).

checking the box "share excess DL/UL" obviously negates the choke I have to the XB. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you in advance,

kjm

merci bien pour la réponse , je voudrais connaitre la raison s'il vous plait pour quoi je n'arrive plus a refuser une partie en cours ?   quand j'active REFUSE la partie continue a jouer ?? même si je désactive Ping Auto ? aidez moi s'il vous plait merci 

Capture d’écran 2024-04-08 à 19.01.03.png

On 4/7/2024 at 5:43 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That isn't possible, what's your usecase? Perhaps I can offer an alternative 

Thank you for the response sir, for some reason I didn’t get an email notification. You have helped me several times in the past 🙏🏼 

my usecase is this:

I moved from a house where I had 1GB fiber to an apt building where I have 200MB Dn 12MB up.  If I throttle the bandwidth allocation like I did before due to the amount of devices on my network it chokes everything into the ground and nothing works. However I need to throttle the connection to the XB so I can play even matches on EAFC, bc EA has some horrid system where they use lag compensation to Induce “artificial delay” on top of already having crap servers, making it unplayable.

ive always noticed a difference in gameplay when I’ve throttled my connection in the past because of this, but now I can’t do it because essentially the rest of the house won’t work if I do lol.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated my friend 

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What bandwidth are you trying to throttle it to exactly?

Needs to be low. 1-2mbps

45 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How many other devices would be being used when gaming and what kind of applications/services would they be using?

Depends really. Both my GF and I work from home. She needs to be able to upload things which is the issue I ran I to before. If I could just throttle to XB only it would be great but I can’t compromise the UPload capacity for the whole house bc it’s only 12MBps. It gets fractioned too heavily with all the devices on our network (smart speakers, TV, phones, computers, gaming consoles, etc) even if they’re inactive 

• Administrators

Okay so this might work but it is dependent on if what I remember is correct!

1. Upgrade to beta: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/51611-new-xr500-beta-firmware-33535/
  2. Set Congestion Control how you normally would (maybe leave upload as a higher percentage e.g. 80-90%) and set to Auto Enable
  3. For Bandwidth Allocation set the download low for the gaming device - it'll balance out for other devices. Then in Bandwidth Allocation menu :menu disable Share Excess for just the download

I *think* the ability to disable Share Excess for download/upload separately is an option on that firmware. If not then I don't think there is a way to achieve exactly what you want, there would be a trade off.

XR1000. What's the difference between limiting bandwith on allocation for a single device vs unplugging all devices except one and setting  the CC low?

Also, why does my BA keep resseting by itself? 

On 4/9/2024 at 5:31 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so this might work but it is dependent on if what I remember is correct!

1. Upgrade to beta: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/51611-new-xr500-beta-firmware-33535/
  2. Set Congestion Control how you normally would (maybe leave upload as a higher percentage e.g. 80-90%) and set to Auto Enable
  3. For Bandwidth Allocation set the download low for the gaming device - it'll balance out for other devices. Then in Bandwidth Allocation menu :menu disable Share Excess for just the download

I *think* the ability to disable Share Excess for download/upload separately is an option on that firmware. If not then I don't think there is a way to achieve exactly what you want, there would be a trade off.

i just read that forum thread, seems like a nightmare to upgrade no? is there no offical firmware release since early 2023?

• Administrators
On 4/10/2024 at 2:15 AM, Ivanbad said:

XR1000. What's the difference between limiting bandwith on allocation for a single device vs unplugging all devices except one and setting  the CC low?

Also, why does my BA keep resseting by itself? 

You could do that, less work for the router to do I suppose. Are you unplugging the router? If devices are being connected to it then it will update the allocations.

13 hours ago, Kjm said:

i just read that forum thread, seems like a nightmare to upgrade no? is there no offical firmware release since early 2023?

Not particularly, you just need to upgrade to the intermediary firmware then the beta version or intermediary > beta RC10 > beta RC14. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

You could do that, less work for the router to do I suppose. Are you unplugging the router? If devices are being connected to it then it will update the allocations.

Not particularly, you just need to upgrade to the intermediary firmware then the beta version or intermediary > beta RC10 > beta RC14. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes

GM brother and thanks for the reply. I’ll look into it today get back when finished 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 10:40 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

So now I have a new problem. 

I updated the firmware to the intermediate, tried the beta, was unrecognized, so I tried the RC10. 

Now whenever I try to login to router from PC I get this screen for about a minute, then goes totally black. 

can login from phone just fine, but I don’t see how I can update the firmware there.

thoughts?

also just a note- the existing firmware I was running did indeed have the DL/UL sharing separate, however it didn’t allow me to split between all remaining devices like I wanted. Ideally I need to throttle DL/UL but share UL with everything else bc it’s more limited unfortunately.

any thoughts on getting through this bricked black screen?

Thank you sir 

IMG_0222.jpeg

Update: logged in from another PC and was able to update to RC14

From my last message I already knew nothing would change w the QoS, however are there any new features here I should be taking advantage of? The Adblocker is new. 

However I was thinking about my problem at hand and my main question to you is this: would I be able to solve my issue by using the QoS share bandwidth options on applications instead of devices, or maybe combining them both? Seems like that’s the last option on the table, admittedly I’ve never tried using the applications tab as I’m unsure of exactly how it categorizes the activities. 

thanks again sir 

• Administrators

You can't combine them both, you can use one or the other. You still have to disable Share Excess for all devices/applications so you still can't do exactly what you want. No other features spring to mind other than the mobile app being much better with this.