XR500 Factory Reset Loop

I am having an issue with my XR500. Every time after I reboot it, I am getting DumaOS Not Running, or No Such File or Directory and when I go to 192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm it takes me to the main setup screen, like it is trying to factory reset over and over.

I can't seem to get the TFTP solution to work...after I turn the router off for 10 seconds and back on, the power led turns orange, goes off for a few seconds then comes back on, it never flashes like it says it should in the instructions. 

• Administrators

Factory reset it from the adv_index.htm URL you're using or do so using the physical button on the router. Then wait 4 minutes and try accessing normally, if you're able to get through then after that go to the System Information page and then in the Rapp panel menu ≡ change the retries to 5, reboot from the interface, wait 4 minutes before accessing and see if it works then please.

No, still the same, when I went to the regular 1.198.162.1 it says DumaOS Not Running, and when I went to the adv_index.htm URL it made me go through setup again like it was factory reset.

• Administrators

When you then complete the setup what then happens when you go back to the adv page, takes you back to setup again? When did this first occur, after anything specific?

Yes it either tells me DumaOS is not running or No Such File or Directory when I try to access it the normal way, when I do the adv_index it goes to the factory reset setup.

I was having some issues, so I rebooted the router, when it finished I noticed I had no internet, I went to 192.168.1.1 and it said DumaOS Not Running...I tried another reboot to see if that helped which didn't. Then I tried to reinstall the firmware, and it was saying No Such File or Directory, so I started googling for solutions and found the adv_index.htm solution, and tried to factory reset that way. After that it started doing the factory reset thing. Thats all as far as I can remember. 

I can get into the interface sometimes after a factory reset, but I have tested and as soon as I reboot the router, it just repeats the same things.

On 3/18/2024 at 3:09 PM, DARKNESS said:

@MisterJinx420If tftp doesn't work then just use nmrpflash tool instead as it more successful https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

i was going to purchase a new router today during lunch until i found this. i was facing similar problems like OP. i was on the new beta 3.3.535. i dont ever touch the settings.i dont even game tbh. i just made sure i was getting the mbps im suppose to through spectrum and im good. but the past few days, i kept getting a "you are no longer connected to your router..." bootloop. i knew about nmrpflash but i dont like doing command line things. i tried tftpd 32 and 64 and i get the same bootloop. was gonna try those other firmwares that the cool kids are tinkering with but didnt want to deal with this router performing lower than stock firmware. even though, during the flash, i got a warning: tftp block rollover message but everything worked. im not sure if i should stick with 2.3.2.134 (since im consecutively getting the mbps im subscribed to so far), go back to beta 3.3.535 or look for a "things i must do after installing...." list to get an even better performance. either way, im happy. alot of others have this same exact problem but none mentioned nvmpflash. i even saw someone saying to let the router sit in 91% isopropyl alcohol. -_-

maybe someone else that has the same issue might find this simple fix.

thank you for the recommendation.

@shoeprano27Yeah that just the method to recover the router if it ever bricked or has some sort of software problem but if it hardware based then yeah your out luck. Sadly the netduma R series models don't have this recovery feature so most of them go to become duds. So as far as your performance goes that good to hear, you can try re-upgrading and if that doesn't work well then just downgrade back with the nmrpflash tool and stay on the firmware that's most stable after all the beta firmware isn't necessarily checked by netgear so there might be certain issues conflicting with the OS.

23 hours ago, Fairypusher said:

Could you explain how exactly to do this?

After the Reset you need a second router for Setup your xr500.

During the Setup the xr500 check your internet.
If the Setup dont find the Internet, you only can check the second point.
If you choose the second Point, your xr500 dont boot and you have this bug. 

DumaOS not loading.

You need during the Setup, your XR500 need to find Internet.

Yes.
The Second Router have Internet Access 🙂

Lan 1 from second Router in WAN from the XR500.

And on Setup the XR500 must find a Internet Connection.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:39 AM, Fairypusher said:

Yes.
The Second Router have Internet Access 🙂

Lan 1 from second Router in WAN from the XR500.

And on Setup the XR500 must find a Internet Connection.

Ok so I checked using my Nighthawk RAX38 and it did not find internet during setup. So I have the bug correct? Is there a way to fix it? You said if it don't find internet I can only check the second point...what am I checking?

We should first clarify where your situation is.

You have a router with internet.
That would be your RAX38.
If you connect a computer there, it gets an IP via dhcp.

Then you did a factory reset via /adv.htm.

Then you put the LAN cable into the Wan port on the XR500 and into lan port 1 on the RAX38.

During setup it doesn't find any internet, but the RAX38 recognizes the XR500?

Ok heres the thing, right now I am on the XR500, I am on firmware V2.3.2.130, its the one I am having least problems with...if it gets rebooted I just have to go through the initial setup. and I am back online with it until the next reboot and i have to do it all over. So DumaOS is loading and does work on this firmware, I just have to go through setup everytime I reboot. (pain in the neck)

Yes, the RAX38 had internet and everything worked fine with PC plugged in. I factory reset the XR500 before plugging LAN cable from Port 1 of the RAX38 into the WAN of the XR500, Then I plugged the PC back into the XR500 and I started the setup and when it was detecting internet there was nothing. I don't know if the RAX38 recognized the XR500. I never checked, not sure how to do that.