Need advice and help please

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to this community and eager to seek some advice before making a router purchase. I currently enjoy an 80 Mbps connection and primarily use a hard-wired connection from the router to my PS5. 

In my gaming experience, particularly in ranked play (COD), my ping fluctuates between 5-10, occasionally reaching 30. Despite the low ping, I'm encountering issues such as losing gunfights I should be winning or experiencing delays in registering actions like taking cover behind a wall.

My query is whether investing in a Netgear router would enhance my gaming experience. Additionally, as ranked play often involves 4 team members, would I be able to manage geo-location settings for my friends?

I'm also seeking guidance on the latest or best router options available. Is the AX5400 WiFi Router (RAX50) still a top choice, or has a newer version been released?

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to invest more in upgrading my internet setup if needed.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Looking forward to your reply 

Regards

Sam  

@SaminRealistically speaking your primary feature should be QOS if you don't have that then that is certainly a problem as when other users go in to the network and saturate it will cause ping spikes which affect VOIP/Gaming. My best recommendation is getting a used XR500 as there extremely common and can get them for cheap and there reliable and have game focused features. If you go with another router like asus then I would go for the higher end models just for future proofing but other than that there be no further purpose to kill your budget as software is king.

To note if you want to get the latest gaming features and further down the line then you can just go with R3 though realistically right now it on beta so if you want to wait 3-6 months for it be stable that is up to you...

Hello @DARKNESS

Thank you for your prompt response. I apologize for my confusion, but could you please clarify what you mean by QOS? I appreciate your patience with my question.

Regarding internet usage in my household, it is primarily limited to myself using a PS5 while my partner's usage is minimal. I am considering purchasing a second-hand XR500 router and configuring it to prioritize traffic for London using geo-location settings. My question is, will this configuration also benefit my three friends who will be joining me for call of duty ranked , or will they need to acquire their own XR500 routers for similar performance enhancements?

Thank you for your assistance.

@SaminQuality of service (QoS) is the use of mechanisms or technologies that work on a network to control traffic and ensure the performance of critical applications with limited network capacity. It enables organizations to adjust their overall network traffic by prioritizing specific high-performance applications.

If your asking whether the router will help them on there network no since they don't have the router however if your referring to the geofilter capabilities and they live around then yes it will help everyone since they'll have lower ping servers.

• Administrators

Sounds like your questions have been answered but if it's just you playing at the time and nothing else is happening on the network QoS may not be super effective but it should keep the ping stable if its an issue on your side. Your friends can benefit from the Geo-Filter if you are the party leader.