R3 WAN port "Internet Status" not staying "Online"

Tsar

Hello,

Big fan of Netduma, had an R2 for years before it finally stopped working normally. Had an ASUS for awhile, then got the new R3 today. 

Issue I'm having is the "Internet Status" in the WAN settings consistently turns from "Offline" to "Online" intermittently, every 5-10 seconds. This correlates with in-game drops in connection that I'm having, and I can't seem to solve the issue myself.

IPv6 is disabled for both LAN and WAN, SmartBOOST is disabled, Geo-Filter has no devices and the Geo-Latency is disabled, Ping Optimizer is disabled (of course, because of SmartBOOST being disabled), AdBlocker is disabled, and the only device on my network is my PC. I also have Port Scan Protection and Syn Flood Protection disabled.

I have no access to my modem as it was provided to me by TDS, the ISP here on Fort Carson, Colorado. Because of this, I believe DMZ would just create a double NAT.

I am on the most recent firmware, 4.0.41. 

I have an internet connection, it's simply not stable and I can witness it going in and out on the WAN settings page. Gaming is unplayable because of the continuous drop in connection.

Would love to get a solution if anyone has any ideas, thanks!

My system logs are below \|/\|/\|/

TSAR-R3-SYSTEMLOGS-22FEB2024.txt

Did you perform a factory reset after upgrading the R3 to the .41 firmware? If not, please try this. Currently, it is strongly recommended to perform a factory reset after the upgrade, as otherwise strange problems may occur.

Just now, ChrisG82 said:

Have you did a factory reset after upgrade the R3 to .041 Firmware? If not try this….

I did. Still the same issue, unfortunately.

According to your log entries, the WAN interface was briefly offline before it apparently went back online permanently. In any case, no further disconnects are visible in the entries.

Wed Feb 21 23:58:37 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' has link connectivity loss
Wed Feb 21 23:59:56 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' has link connectivity
Thu Feb 22 00:00:45 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wan (21369): udhcpc: lease of 24.54.129.14 obtained, lease time 21600
Thu Feb 22 00:00:45 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is now up

No further disconnects or connectivity loss until you log ends (Thu Feb 22 00:40:33 2024)

7 minutes ago, ChrisG82 said:

According to your log entries, the WAN interface was briefly offline before it apparently went back online permanently. In any case, no further disconnects are visible in the entries.

Here is a recent log entry where it was doing it fairly fast:

TSAR-R3-SYSTEMLOGS-22FEB2024-2.txt

5 minutes ago, ChrisG82 said:

Have you tried setting the WAN connection from DHCP to static IP and entering a corresponding IP in the settings?

I assumed that would be for a static IP I purchase or acquire from my ISP, which I do not have. I have no IP that I would set it to. 

1 minute ago, ChrisG82 said:

Are you able to connect another device to your Modem and check if there are the same Problems?

Yes, I went back to my ASUS router to see if there was any new issues that might be causing the R3 to not receive a stable connection, but it worked normally with the ASUS. I also connected my PC straight to the modem and maintained a good connection for the duration of 45 minutes to an hour. Only device that can't is the R3. 

I'm waiting for my ISP's call hours to come up so I can give them a call and see if they can help, though I never had this issue switching from the R2 to the ASUS a couple months ago.

Just now, ChrisG82 said:

Perhaps reset the R3 to the factory settings again and then disconnect it from the power supply for 10 minutes before setting it up again.

I am about to reconnect both the modem and router here soon, I let them sit without power for about 45 minutes.

Still no luck. Gave my ISP a call and they couldn't help; said that as long as a device is plugged in, it will receive service. Makes sense I plugged in my PC straight to the modem and it worked fine, so it must be something with the R3.

Here is a continuous ping to Google's DNS, giving an example of what I am experiencing:

image_2024-02-22_082338976.png

What else you could try is the following: connect the Asus router to your modem. Deactivate WiFi and everything that is not necessary. Then connect the R3 to the Asus and put the R3 in the Asus in the DMZ.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It sounds most likely to be the ethernet cable connecting the router to your modem, if you swap it out for a new cable do you see the same behavior?

I have tried three cables, thinking it might possibly be that, but still the same problem.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you connect the Asus to your modem then connect the R3 to the Asus, do you get the same problem then?

Here is the setup based on that:

Arris modem > ASUS router > R3 router > PC

The "Internet Status" seems to be staying "Online". However, my PC has no internet connection.

The PC and the R3 are on the same subnet as the ASUS (*.*.50.*), and the ASUS is on DHCP for the modem. The ASUS has access to the internet.

Regardless, the R3 is staying "Online".

1 hour ago, Tsar said:

The R3 is also in the DMZ of the ASUS.

Still no internet from the R3 to the PC.

If im not mistaken, TDS is either DSL or fiber right? Are there any MAC restrictions with TDS when adding a new device? I have Fidium Fiber here where I am  (Maine). Anyways, my isp requires that they have the MAC of the router/firewall registered in their system to work properly, does this apply here? If not, did you reboot the ONT/Modem prior to connecting the new R3 device? If the MAC requirement doesnt apply, def do a reboot, factory reset of the R3 and start from scratch.

15 minutes ago, bbursley said:

If im not mistaken, TDS is either DSL or fiber right? Are there any MAC restrictions with TDS when adding a new device? I have Fidium Fiber here where I am  (Maine). Anyways, my isp requires that they have the MAC of the router/firewall registered in their system to work properly, does this apply here? If not, did you reboot the ONT/Modem prior to connecting the new R3 device? If the MAC requirement doesnt apply, def do a reboot, factory reset of the R3 and start from scratch.

Correct, they do not mac filter here. I checked with them already. I did a factory reset with three different firmwares, as well as restarting the modem first.

But you connected the R3 to the WAN port on the Asus, didn't you?

EDIT:

All three devices in the same subnet is actually not correct, especially if the R3 is connected to the Asus with its WAN port. Please try to set it up as follows:.

ASUS:
IP: 192.168.50.1
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: 192.168.50.100 - 192.168.50.254

NETDUMA:
IP: 192.168.100.1
DHCP: 192.168.100.100 - 192.168.100.254
WAN configuration: DHCP

This should give the R3 the 192.168.50.100 on the WAN interface if nothing else is connected to the ASUS.

You could now also configure the WAN port as a static IP and enter 192.168.50.10 there, for example. Gateway for the R3 would be the ASUS (192.168.50.1)

The devices which connected to the R3 should get an IP out of the 192.168.100.X Subnet (Manually or DHCP). The gateway for this devices is the R3 (192.168.100.1).

34 minutes ago, ChrisG82 said:

But you connected the R3 to the WAN port on the Asus, didn't you?

EDIT:

All three devices in the same subnet is actually not correct, especially if the R3 is connected to the Asus with its WAN port. Please try to set it up as follows:.

ASUS:
IP: 192.168.50.1
DHCP: 192.168.50.100 - 192.168.50.254

NETDUMA:
IP: 192.168.100.1
DHCP: 192.168.100.100 - 192.168.100.254
WAN configuration: DHCP

This should give the R3 the 192.168.50.100 on the WAN interface if nothing else is connected to the ASUS.

You could now also configure the WAN port as a static IP and enter 192.168.50.10 there, for example. Gateway for the R3 would be the ASUS (192.168.50.1)

The devices which connected to the R3 should get an IP out of the 192.168.100.X Subnet (Manually or DHCP). The gateway for this devices is the R3 (192.168.100.1).

I connected the R3 to port 1 of the ASUS, and the ASUS was connected to the modem via the WAN port.

ARRIS modem (192.168.100.1) > ASUS router (via WAN) (192.168.50.1, DHCP enabled) > R3 router (via ASUS port 1 to R3 WAN) (192.168.50.2, DHCP disabled, ASUS as the gateway IP) > PC (R3 port 1 to PC ethernet port).

This is not the preferred set-up, but I'm just trying to identify whether the WAN port on the R3 is bad or if there is a separate issue with the network. My ideal set-up is one router, as I have no need for more than that:

ARRIS modem (192.168.100.1) > R3 router (192.168.77.1, DHCP enabled from modem, DHCP disabled for LAN) >  PC (192.168.77.4, static IP) *is what I was hoping would work, but this is where the "Internet Status" in the WAN settings page trips and turns on and off intermittently.

22 minutes ago, Tsar said:

ARRIS modem (192.168.100.1) > ASUS router (via WAN) (192.168.50.1, DHCP enabled) > R3 router (via ASUS port 1 to R3 WAN) (192.168.50.2, DHCP disabled, ASUS as the gateway IP) > PC (R3 port 1 to PC ethernet port).

OK same Subnet of ASUS and R3 is ok but ONLY for the WAN Port (the R3 gets an WAN IP from the AUS DHCP). BUT the R3 have to be in a different Subnet for LAN/WiFi. The PC have to be in the LAN / WiFi Subnet from the R3 and use the LAN IP from the R3 as Gateway….

Please try this…

ARRIS modem (192.168.100.1) > ASUS router (via WAN) (192.168.50.1, DHCP enabled) > R3 router (via ASUS port 1 to R3 WAN) (DHCP on WAN Interface, LAN IP 192.168.77.1) > PC (R3 port 1 to PC ethernet port; IP 192.168.77.10; Gateway/DNS 192.168.77.1).

Don’t forget to put the R3 in DMZ of the ASUS Router

Edited by ChrisG82
Change IP Sunbet to the default of R3

3 minutes ago, ChrisG82 said:

OK same Subnet of ASUS and R3 is ok but ONLY for the WAN Port (the R3 gets an WAN IP from the AUS DHCP). BUT the R3 have to be in a different Subnet for LAN/WiFi. The PC have to be in the LAN / WiFi Subnet from the R3 and use the LAN IP from the R3 as Gateway….

Please try this…

I now have it set up this way:

ARRIS modem (192.168.100.1) > ASUS router (192.168.50.1, DHCP 192.168.50.100 to 254) > R3 router (192.168.100.1 LAN, 192.168.50.2 static with 192.168.50.1 as the gateway IP on WAN)

With this, the "Internet Port" says "Connected", and the "Internet Status" says "Online", and the PC it's connected to has a static IP on the R3's subnet, which is 192.168.100.5, with 192.168.100.1 as the gateway IP, and has no internet. The R3 also does not receive a WAN IP from the ASUS, I gave it a static IP in the WAN page and that became the WAN IP. 

I'm not incredibly network-savvy so bear with me if I am skipping steps or miswording things.

So please don’t USE the 192.168.100.1 for the R3.  I told you this before i know that 192.168.100.x is the subnet what your modem use. Simply und the default IP of R3 (192.168.77.1)!

One last attempt: Reset the R3 to factory settings while it is connected to the Asus (R3 WAN port to LAN port Asus). Then simply set up the R3. The R3 should automatically recognise that it is receiving Internet via DHCP.

Leave the LAN settings of the R3 as they are. Connect the PC to the R3 and set the LAN interface of the PC to DHCP!