NetDuma R2 Geofence, but only for a few devices...

It's been a long time since I've been on the NetDuma forums. I own the R1, XR500 and R2. The R1 worked fine, the XR500 bricked within a month and I haven't touched the R2 yet because I'm not sure if my use case is supported, hence the long time between visits.

I want to use the NetDuma Geofence for my consoles and gaming PC, but don't want the NetDuma to run my entire network as I'm otherwise happy with the setup already in place for a family of six with a gazillion devices. It ain't broke, so I don't want to fix it.

Is there any way to run the R2 as a bridge, or on a subnetwork?

All of the devices I want geo-filtered are connected to the same gigabit ethernet switch in one room. I'd like the R2 to sit between that switch and the router that manages all other network devices.

I don't want the R2 to manage wifi, nor perform QOS for the entire network. I just want the Geofence for some console and PC games that have low population regional servers so I can target an EU or US server instead.

For example, it's close to impossible to get a Comp match in Destiny 2 in Australia, but relatively easy in the US. That's the only problem I want the R2 to solve.

Suggestions appreciated.

• Administrators

Since a Destiny 2 update it's actually quite hard to filter so I'm not sure that would work, this is something that we have worked around with DumaOS 4 - making games that are unfilterable, filterable. It will come at a later date. You can't set the router into bridge or anything like that but you can just connect it as a router. The upstream router would apply any QoS rules to the R2 which by extension would also affect the devices connected to it.

Thanks Fraser.

Wouldn't setting up R2 as a downstream router (I assume with a different subnet) create double-NAT problems?

I'll keep an eye on the R3 for the filter update.

I remember now why I stopped using Netduma products - reliability is a problem.

The R2 will not progress beyond the Wi-Fi setup. It is stalled and factory reset is not working.

I have held the reset button for up to a minute and nothing happens. I disconnect it for over an hour (I had other things to do), retry and it displays the stuck wifi message again. Four attempts, four fails.

This is the first time the R2 has been used and it won’t get through initial setup. Please advise.

In the meantime, I’ll try to unbrick the XR500.

I managed to get the XR500 working and firmware upgraded after 5 hours of brick wall meeting head. I’ll give the R2 another try in the morning, but at least the backup plan seems to be working.

• Administrators

Were you connected via WiFi when going through the R2 wizard?

A Netgear guide recommended you to pull the power out after you initiated a factory reset? 

Access using 192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm and upgrade to RC14 from there

Wifi wasn’t even an option on the R2 at the point of failure. It got stuck during the setup wizard and was connected via Ethernet.

Thanks for the DMZ hint, it seems to be working. If I’m playing Destiny 2 on Xbox or PlayStation, is that covered by the Console filters, thus allowing other regional servers to be targeted?

I tried Destiny 2 on PC and set the Home to California. I’m not sure if it was just good luck or timing, but a PvP match launched within seconds. I’ll try again in Comp mode and if it works, problem solved.

• Administrators

Okay interesting, but you've managed to get past that properly now? 

In theory yes, however Destiny did make an update that made Geo-Filtering quite difficult so it may not always work but it should be more consistent with DumaOS 4 that will come at a later date to the R2.

I haven’t touched the R2 since the XR500 is working. I’ll give it another shot today.

I didn’t realise DumaOS 4 was coming to the R2. I assumed you were referring to an update that would be added later to R3 to further improve the geo-filtering.

Is it possible to geo-filter Destiny 2 on R3? If so, I’m sold.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, antithesis said:

I haven’t touched the R2 since the XR500 is working. I’ll give it another shot today.

I didn’t realise DumaOS 4 was coming to the R2. I assumed you were referring to an update that would be added later to R3 to further improve the geo-filtering.

Is it possible to geo-filter Destiny 2 on R3? If so, I’m sold.

I believe it's already selectable on the R3