Static v. dynamic IP address for devices

Hi,

I have only just started making full use of my Telstra Optimiser/Device Manager.

However, when I update the name of several devices that are connected to my wifi (e.g. iPhone & iPad) I notice that after some time, these devices are no longer connected.  Then new "unnamed device" keep being added to my wifi network.  Only to find out it's the same iPhone & iPad which I previously renamed and assume the network keeps giving a new IP address to the same old device?

How do I change the router settings to stop doing this so that I only need to update this once and not every time the same device is given a new IP address?  I am aware I could change the IP address in the device but I would prefer to change the settings for the router to stop this from repeatedly occurring.

54 minutes ago, Dezer said:

Hi,

I have only just started making full use of my Telstra Optimiser/Device Manager.

However, when I update the name of several devices that are connected to my wifi (e.g. iPhone & iPad) I notice that after some time, these devices are no longer connected.  Then new "unnamed device" keep being added to my wifi network.  Only to find out it's the same iPhone & iPad which I previously renamed and assume the network keeps giving a new IP address to the same old device?

How do I change the router settings to stop doing this so that I only need to update this once and not every time the same device is given a new IP address?  I am aware I could change the IP address in the device but I would prefer to change the settings for the router to stop this from repeatedly occurring.

Hello, welcome to the forum!

This usually happens in many Apple and Samsung devices, they generate a random Mac when they connect to avoid being tracked, so every time it connects and disconnects as it is a different Mac from the previous one, it generates you as if it were a new device and gives it a new IP. This can only be disabled from the devices, you have to configure it so that it always shows your original mac and that way you will always get the same IP.

Greetings!!

I forgot to tell you  @Dezer that to configure static IP on R3 you have to go to settings and go to the DHCP section and click on add devices, it will show you the devices that are on the network and you already select and configure, but even if you do this and put them a fixed IP, when they reconnect with a different Mac they will appear as a new device, you have to do the previous step first and put on your devices that shows the original MAC of the device.

Sorry, I specified the R3 DHCP reservation and it is not for your case. Even so, your problem does lie in the MAC problem.

Edited by titofuenla

• Administrators

As above it's almost certainly the Private/Random MAC address option that iOS devices have. When connected to the WiFi, click the WiFi "i" next to the network on the phone, you can then disable this option. It shouldn't happen again.

To explain why it happens, a MAC address is a unique identifier, basically saying hey this is an iPhone, by changing the MAC address constantly the modem sees it as a new device but if the MAC address isn't a known apple device it won't know what it is. So disabling that option keeps it the same always so the modem knows what the device is at all times. I guess it's kind of like changing your home address every day but didn't tell the postman and being surprised when he doesn't know this new address on the letters should actually be going to your house.