Cod vs netduma ping

When in game randomly the game says 17-35 but thr netduma r3 says it's 166 I don't feel it's that bad could this just be a messed up ping from the r3 as a protection from the server?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

I have been seeing the same thing.  It does not happen very often.   I'll try to get a screenshot when it happens again.

That would be great thank you. If it's not reflected in game then it's either an incorrect reading or it's auto pinging a far away authentication server - if you do see it again ping the host manually, do you see the same ping?

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That would be great thank you. If it's not reflected in game then it's either an incorrect reading or it's auto pinging a far away authentication server - if you do see it again ping the host manually, do you see the same ping?

Initially, I assumed that it was the authentication server in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a screenshot where the R3 ping was very high while the game ping was about 48ms. Around 50ms is what I would expect for San Diego to Washington.  This game played terribly.  The next game was back to normal.  

R3pingtoohigh.thumb.png.802f1a2d471466882fbb74d6ef5e64db.png

• Administrators
12 hours ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

Here is a screenshot where the R3 ping was very high while the game ping was about 48ms. Around 50ms is what I would expect for San Diego to Washington.  This game played terribly.  The next game was back to normal.  

Have you got the ID for that one? It's likely mislocated on the map

The in-game ping was on 48ms.   For me, 166ms would be the UK or Europe.   No, I did not get the ID.  It almost seems that the it was using the authenication server for ping stability vs the actual host server.

Why would it be a mislocated server if the location on the geo-filter map and in-game ping were matching?  Is it possible that the steady ping was locked on another server?   How could there be such a huge difference from the in-game ping vs R3 ping?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

Why would it be a mislocated server if the location on the geo-filter map and in-game ping were matching?  Is it possible that the steady ping was locked on another server?   How could there be such a huge difference from the in-game ping vs R3 ping?

It could be a relay server that is actually far away and redirecting you back to a close server. Could be, I haven't seen that issue thus far if that's the case

• Administrators

Interesting, it is actually located in Texas so that's correct. If you then click on a greyed out server inside your radius/outside do the pings match up more with what the in game ping shows?

No, the in-game ping was accurate for Texas at ~50ms. The California in-game pings are:  Los Angeles at ~20ms and San Francisco bay Area at ~30ms (the gray area dot in the photo).  

When this happens it is always at ~160ms, which makes me assume that it is always the same server.

I have to keep disabling Steady Ping.  I disable steady ping and play for several hours.  I turn off the PS5 and close my laptop when I am done for the day.  When I start the next gaming session Steady Ping is now active.  Shouldn't this remain disabled?

BTW - I still have not seen the ping jump to 160ms with Steady Ping disabled.