Internet speeds reduced using R1

NiftyModz

Guest Netduma Fraser

Strange my speeds are also reduced

Usually 70/20. Now 52/18 my congestion control is 100% and reactive with device priority reset !

The pc you did a speed test on was it wired or wireless? Is that with every other device on your network not being used?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Pc is wired , not sure on the devices but nothing major going on no streaming etc . What is the purpose of the deep packet setting ?

Its for the host analysis for pc games, if you dont use that then you can turn it off and will allow you to get upto 150-60mbps on the router.

Right I have learned more about internet connections in the last 2 weeks since DUMA than ever before . Tonight I rang my ISP to complain about my drop in speed . Now over the last few days I have been re booting whilst I search for best setting etc , apparently my "BIG BROTHER" ISP see this and believe there is a problem with my line and take it up on themselves to slow me down and reduce my speed . So I just thanked them and told them very politely to the stop the bull sh@t and give me back my speed . The very nice man agreed to this request and I should be good again in around 48 hrs . So fellow DUMAs be aware if you re booting your modem or router you may suffer the same fate "dynamic line management " or something I believe it's called , hope this helps you guys

Guest Netduma_Iain

Wow that does explain ALOT. Thanks mate, that is really useful info. People have noticed drops in the first 24 hours then magically improve, I guessed it had something to do with MAC addresses but that makes complete sense. Learning a lot today!

Yeah that's the DLM I've been banging on about in chat lol.

I thought people knew about it on the fibre connections in UK (don't know how other countries do it). It's a very aggressive monitoring program with a sole purpose of keeping connections up at stable speeds.

Lots of disconnects = reduced speed and interleaving. I'd be wary of any tech representative saying they can reset it. In UK DLM is technically on able to be reset by an openreach engineer visit (obviously only applicable to FTTC, could be different to Virgin).

Right I have learned more about internet connections in the last 2 weeks since DUMA than ever before . Tonight I rang my ISP to complain about my drop in speed . Now over the last few days I have been re booting whilst I search for best setting etc , apparently my "BIG BROTHER" ISP see this and believe there is a problem with my line and take it up on themselves to slow me down and reduce my speed . So I just thanked them and told them very politely to the stop the bull sh@t and give me back my speed . The very nice man agreed to this request and I should be good again in around 48 hrs . So fellow DUMAs be aware if you re booting your modem or router you may suffer the same fate "dynamic line management " or something I believe it's called , hope this helps you guys

Hey black ops veteran I've been noticing the same thing for the past couples too with my netduma. Did you have to mention to them you were optimizing your new router or you didn't give them any explanation? I'm going to do the same, I just hope it doesn't become a common thing because I'm startin to notice if effecting my game a bit no matter how I change my settings.

make sure to ask them for money back...they can't bill you for the time they lowered your speed...no matter there excuse.

make sure to ask them for money back...they can't bill you for the time they lowered your speed...no matter there excuse.

They can ABC, bit different in UK than USA.

The FTTC lines over here have a range of expected speeds depending on your line connection stats. As long as the line is above the set 'minimum' then they can manage the line with the headroom to ensure if remains up. That is the sole purpose of DLM.

Basically the vast majority of the population won't notice a 10mbps drop on their 60mbps fibre line, but will notice if it is not connected. Therefore cheaper with less support calls. 

They can ABC, bit different in UK than USA.

The FTTC lines over here have a range of expected speeds depending on your line connection stats. As long as the line is above the set 'minimum' then they can manage the line with the headroom to ensure if remains up. That is the sole purpose of DLM.

Basically the vast majority of the population won't notice a 10mbps drop on their 60mbps fibre line, but will notice if it is not connected. Therefore cheaper with less support calls. 

that seems silly since normally EU law is much more strict.  Our law is that they are required to provide 80% of the promised bandwidth (up and down separately), so when they downgrade your speed, you get your money back for that period of time.

Archived