WiFi speeds with the R3

TheMW2Ghost

When doing speedtests, I remember the R2 giving about roughly 50% of the down speeds of my ISP router (around 200down instead of 500) - which i was told was how the R2 was designed but some reason though I'm getting far less on the R3, unless I have not configured something right? 

Adding to this, I connected my laptop via ethernet to the R3 and got the same speeds as I did over WiFi. When i connected to the R2 via ethernet from MacBook I got the full speeds of 500 down 70 up.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 22.53.09.png

Yup, all devices! 

WiFi - iPhone and Macbook

Wired - Xbox

All set up the same way I had the R2 set up: Wall socket > WAN of ISP router > LAN R2 < everything connected to R3 via LAN or Wifi.

Not sure how to by[ass speed test but its set up in the R3 and shows my correct speeds

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 23.29.34.png

ISP router LAN goes to R3 WAN (blue socket on R3) - I had it this way also with the R2.

I tried plugging the cable from the wall socket straight into R3 WAN but it didn't work for me, as there was no connection at all and I couldn't get anything to boot. I did ask here about how i had it all set up nd think it was you, that said that it was okay that way - but im willing to try and make the R3 the main router/replace the ISP router if i can get it to work that way - so long as the bottom floor of the house get speeds that are good (their PS5 was very laggy when connect to the R2 via WiFi)

image.thumb.png.7372f1a1eec0cf33926899c99a45d4de.png

image.thumb.png.91af9a02e00ef423f487f9da1ed983bb.png

I tried speedtest on phone connected to R3 via WiFi and got full speeds! :D whereas before, WiFI only gave around 50% of my download. So, tried again on Macbook, and got full speeds! Maybe it just needed a warm up. I'll monitor it and do a few more tests over the weekend to see if it keeps on hitting the full speeds or dips back down to less than 50%.

Great to see the R3 WiFi speeds matching up with the Wired speeds tho! That's great

EDIT: If you do recommend me trying to run the wall socket to R3 let me know and ill give it a go.

image.thumb.png.64b2df54b7b768a0eb975f155e8c2a6b.pngScreenshot2023-12-15at23_55_24.png.109d588943f7da98a5156b8f962cd7b4.png

Woop! Improbably should have given it 12h/overnight before making a post - I can be quick to waffle on sometimes haha! I did  do quit a few tests within the hours of setting it up tho so was wondering. Glad its all good now! And yep, thats fine. 

Looking forward to getting stuck in with it :)

I always run my Virgin Media Superhub in modem mode when previously using the R2.. thought i could just plug in R3 and connect internet as per usual.. unfortunately it didn't work for me, i had to reset the SH3 to factory settings and use ROUTER MODE.. once the R3 set up properly i then change back to MODEM MODE

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Exe_uz said:

I always run my Virgin Media Superhub in modem mode when previously using the R2.. thought i could just plug in R3 and connect internet as per usual.. unfortunately it didn't work for me, i had to reset the SH3 to factory settings and use ROUTER MODE.. once the R3 set up properly i then change back to MODEM MODE

Great example of how ISP routers can be weird with new devices, glad you were able to get it sorted!