Some questions about the R3

Cath

Hello!

So after so many pride, I'm wishing to test out how amazing NetDuma is by preordering the R3.

But I have a few questions, I hope not redundant!

- First, what about "higher than 1 Gigabit ethernet port"? I'm lucky to live in place where I can have 2Gb or even more delivered by my modem. It looks like the R3 has 1 Gigabit ethernet only, is that right? So if I chose to put everything plugged in my NetDuma, I would concretely "lose" 1Gb my ISP could offer? That would mean on my PC I would only be able to dowload at 1Gb games and not 2.5Gb?

- Second, how is AdGuard setup? I'm currently hosting a PiHole which is incredible. If I chose to use the R3, will I be capable of adding blocklists efficiently? If not, if I setup my R3 with DHCP instead of my Pihole, can I chose to use my pihole as default DNS for any new device?

- Third, coming back on the first point, I have "sometimes" some paquet loss and some "high" ping (40-50ms when I'm mostly at 10ms). I suppose of course the worst the connection the more R3's pro's are visible. However, except the Ping Range, will ping stability and QoS be a thing even if I'm already on a great connection?

- Fourth, if I chose to split my Modem ports into my R3 and a Switch (because I want to fully use my 2Gb internet), what will happen on the R3? Will it try to do the QoS stuff based on the 1Gb it receives only, or will it weirdly act with other stuff from my network not using the R3 as router?

- Fifth and last! On this it's not something I'm really aware of, so it's more curiosity than the four questions I had before for which I'd really like information. If I use my R3 as router, do you know if it still is possible to reverse proxy into some devices, even if it's behind the R3 "while it's doing its stuff"? As I said I'm not really competent on this yet, I'm trying to learn a bit and I was wondering if it was something that had been already tried.

That's all! Quite a lot sorry, but I'm very interested in answers!

Thanks in advance and have a good day.

• Administrators

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the pre-order! To answer your questions:

1. Precisely, 1Gbps means that's your max speed.
  2. Adblocker you can add lists using a URL or add domains manually. We have two lists included by default. You can change the DNS so in theory yes.
  3. I assume it's not too much of a jump to say you're a gamer, so IF your connection is super stable to the point that QoS is unlikely, firstly I'd be surprised haha but you would still majorly benefit from Geo-Filter 2.0 so you can select the servers you play on and experience steady ping. Overall though QoS will intelligently allocate bandwidth based on your priorities which regardless of your connection speeds just wouldn't happen on any other router.
  4. It would need to be a modem/router for you to do that first of all. The R3 would only have access to 1Gbps so could only possibly do QoS on that much bandwidth, if you do have other network devices that the R3 cannot see or interact with and they're using a lot of bandwidth then it could have negative impacts for devices connected to the R3.
  5. I wouldn't know about that one to be honest, I don't think that has crossed anyone's mind to try, what would be your usecase in this scenario?

@CathPacket loss is typically related to ISP or equipment being faulty it not something that should be appearing on the network unless the network is being throttled at a certain time though you can mitigate this from happening by using prioritization rules if you know it other users in the household causing all packets to be taken away. Though Smart QOS pretty much alleviates that by just being automatic and leaving bandwidth to each device as that didn't use to be the case before it was more complicated and now it more convenient for users.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 1:09 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the pre-order! To answer your questions:

1. Precisely, 1Gbps means that's your max speed.
  2. Adblocker you can add lists using a URL or add domains manually. We have two lists included by default. You can change the DNS so in theory yes.
  3. I assume it's not too much of a jump to say you're a gamer, so IF your connection is super stable to the point that QoS is unlikely, firstly I'd be surprised haha but you would still majorly benefit from Geo-Filter 2.0 so you can select the servers you play on and experience steady ping. Overall though QoS will intelligently allocate bandwidth based on your priorities which regardless of your connection speeds just wouldn't happen on any other router.
  4. It would need to be a modem/router for you to do that first of all. The R3 would only have access to 1Gbps so could only possibly do QoS on that much bandwidth, if you do have other network devices that the R3 cannot see or interact with and they're using a lot of bandwidth then it could have negative impacts for devices connected to the R3.
  5. I wouldn't know about that one to be honest, I don't think that has crossed anyone's mind to try, what would be your usecase in this scenario?

Hello, thanks for the fast answer! I saw the message and completely forgot to respond myself, sorry 😅

But I've received my NetDuma R3 today, so I remembered I didn't haha. It feels great! Just need a bit more of setting up and testing!

About all my points, it's interesting to have precision, thank you!

1- That's what I thought, thanks!

2- This is really nice, I will use that using my PiHole setup to block everything I want to block that might not be in the default list.

3- I need more testing, but I'm really interested in results! Currently the Ping Optimizer told it was from 14ms to 3ms; some games were between 6 and 25, I will try to see if I get 1ms games as before, and 80ms bad games also. Priorities could be a great thing too!

4- For now I don't need it for now, I will try to find a way to set it up as I like. Thanks!

5- My idea was to have a local server and access it from anywhere to be able to retrieve local files, or even stream from the server. A bit like a Cloud, but self-hosted. I don't have the setup yet but I thought of mentioning it!

Also, since I've received it, I have two feedbacks on the setting:

1- I connected my devices by Ethernet and Wifi and I couldn't access the `dumaos/` on my stuff behind the NetDuma R3. I suppose it was because I had a Custom Setup with a non-modem DHCP and a device for it and DNS, but I had to connect to deactivate my custom DHCP and deactivate my custom DNS, and then only I was able to have access to `dumaos/`. I suppose my DNS was forbidding/overriding dumaos/.

2- I have an issue where I can't access 192.168.1.1 anymore once behind the NetDuma because it tells me the connection is not secure. I don't really know why.

3- I have the same issue on Open NAT that I read here: 

I will wait for an update on your side, but having already done the port forwarding on my modem that worked, I have it "inactive" constantly like this post has. Setting the PlayStation to a Static IP and setting the DMZ to it didn't change anything I'm still in Strict. After sending this message I'll try to reboot the NetDuma and my Modem.

4- When checking the Heatmap, I can't select any item and the dropdown is empty.

There you go! Looking forward to be using it in the future!

On 12/8/2023 at 1:15 AM, DARKNESS said:

@CathPacket loss is typically related to ISP or equipment being faulty it not something that should be appearing on the network unless the network is being throttled at a certain time though you can mitigate this from happening by using prioritization rules if you know it other users in the household causing all packets to be taken away. Though Smart QOS pretty much alleviates that by just being automatic and leaving bandwidth to each device as that didn't use to be the case before it was more complicated and now it more convenient for users.

Thanks! Congestion should be narrowed with it then!

• Administrators

It's literally impossible to get 1ms games so that will be 100% a misreading unless the server is literally in your home, even then LAN connections usually run around 5ms. Someone has requested the ability to have a network drive via the USB so that could be a possibility in future, might achieve what you want in that regard. 

That makes sense re the overwriting. You should still be able to access that address upstream, you do have a unique setup though so could be why. We're looking into port forwarding/UPnP for NAT. It's possible the Geo-Filter is causing a misreading for the Geo-Filter, disable it then reboot the game, if it appears open then you can ignore it going forward when the Geo is enabled.

Are you using an Adblocker on the web browser at all? What web browser/device are you using? First I've seen of that issue.

35 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's literally impossible to get 1ms games so that will be 100% a misreading unless the server is literally in your home, even then LAN connections usually run around 5ms. Someone has requested the ability to have a network drive via the USB so that could be a possibility in future, might achieve what you want in that regard. 

That makes sense re the overwriting. You should still be able to access that address upstream, you do have a unique setup though so could be why. We're looking into port forwarding/UPnP for NAT. It's possible the Geo-Filter is causing a misreading for the Geo-Filter, disable it then reboot the game, if it appears open then you can ignore it going forward when the Geo is enabled.

Are you using an Adblocker on the web browser at all? What web browser/device are you using? First I've seen of that issue.

Yeah about 1ms that's what I thought, I think CoD "Ping Displayed" is quite not accurate lol. I have indeed a mad connection and connect to a server like less than 100km away, but the 1ms felt a bit of a lie. Maybe it just pings with some very small Data. On the NetDuma the ping is 13ms and optimized to 4ms (from the Ping Optimizer), and ingame I got between 10 and 20ms. But actually I didn't get mad 1ms, so maybe the NetDuma is actually helping CoD to know its self-ping.

Ok that would be interesting in the future!

Yes! For now I have deactivated UPnP on my modem since people are talking about it in some other threads, and put my console in DMZ. It was Strict but after Modem reboot it got into.. Moderate. Have no clue why, I will try disabling the Geo-Filter and see if it produces this!

Oh so if the Geo-Filter makes this appear, it will still be able to connect to everything like if it was Open even if it shows Strict?

So just tested; removing the Geo-filter and restarting the game/the console, I'm still in Moderate, even if I'm having it DMZ'd. Removed from DMZ and only used Port Forwarding, I got the same thing.

Arg 😕 so I have ABP adblocker and I'm using Google Chrome on a Windows 10 computer! These are what I get:
image.png.5d584c4279c8c3cef272051121631343.pngimage.png.dc8959e5b14f47a97504ab21088eba6d.png

Oh and just realised, in UPnP I have a device which has opened a port, but the device IP does not exist anymore, and I can't remove it. I was thinking maybe you have it linked into the MAC Address behind the scene, and since I changed my PS5 address there's something causing an issue? (just mentioning it, because I have no clue what forwarded this port).

EDIT: tried to disable my Adblocker on dumaos/, it didn't change anything. Using Edge didn't change it either.

• Administrators

Yes exactly, it would be the Geo-Filter just causing a misreading as it can't make affect your NAT status - essentially it would be blocking the server the NAT test uses.

Is your PiHole upstream and your ISP modem/router upstream of that? 

UPnP should clear the old rule out after awhile

Really strange with Ping Heatmap, if you right click the page, go to inspect element then in the window that appears go to Network and disable cache then hold the browser refresh button until it gives you the options, click hard refresh and empty cache, does it show options for Heatmap then?

Oh ok I understand! Though without it it seems it stays at Moderate so I don't really know 😕

My pihole is plugged into the NetDuma now, and my NetDuma is pluged (using WAN port) into my ISP Modem! So my pihole is at the "same stage" as my other stuff (PS + PC). It doesn't have any DHCP, and I can use it as DNS if I choose it manually but for now it's for the moment useless while I'm setting everything up.

Ok cool!

Just did that (I didn't know about the "hold the refresh button lol, thanks"), and it doesn't seem to change at all 😕 

Well now I can't access `dumaos/` anymore after 2-3 refreshes with and without cache on my PC :( I can still access through `192.168.77.1/` but not the name, I hope I didn't break anything lol. Probably it'll come back tomorrow after I turn off my PC (the name is working properly on my Phone).

EDIT: OKAY WAIT I can actually see the games when going through `192.168.77.1/`. I don't know what I've done, but it is working!