Have I got the R2 hardware routed/plugged properly?

TheMW2Ghost

The way i have the R2 set up is how it was explained in one of the set up videos. R2 Internet port > LAN port of existing router - Xbox LAN > R2 LAN -- Phone and MacBook connected wirelessly to R2.  I've attached pictures to show. Am I supposed to completely disregard my old router and instead plug the R2 into the WAN port of the socket i have in the wall? As I've heard some people mention "bridging" and not using the R2 as a "second router". MY Vodafone router is a "Vodafone WiFi HUb THG3000'. I must note, I am not very clued up with the tech stuff - so any guidance would be appreciated. 

As for speeds, when i ran a test in DumaOS it shows the normal speeds which i expect from my Vodafone router but sometimes it does download games on Xbox at only half the speed at times, then it downloads at full, sometimes. Though its generally a slower process to download/finish up installing games with the R2, and loading internet pages on my macbook is really very slow compared to how it used to be. Sometimes web pages loads the web address but just have a blank white page and i have to constantly refresh to get a page to load. I have QoS on 'never'.

Anything I can do to set it up differently? Cheers

SQznBQBO.thumb.jpg.a1ce669d19f3b9e0e0a706a2a94b8a00.jpgAGx2i7H8.thumb.jpg.3708209878a3d30a716f3d1e36d3af62.jpgrdUu5ESg.thumb.jpg.e8c8a1915cd475f4d38921dc4240e404.jpgScreenshot2023-10-31at13_01_09.thumb.png.ae94af8b999d2f2f61f9d8e15d9223b6.png

EDIT: adding the speedtest I did w/ my MacBook connected over WiFI to the R2 (in the same room basically next to it) - which shows keeps showing only around 150mbs down, whereas beforehand, I always got around 500MBPs - upload and ping doesnt seem to be affected. 

These were speeds before i connected R2: (514MBPs)

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 12.46.44.png

UFHsuk9a.jpg

• Administrators

The way you have setup is fine though you could try direct to the socket. However, if you want to continue using the Hub then on the R2 System Information page copy the WAN IP, then access the Hub and find the DMZ option and paste the IP in there. Then make sure all devices are connected to the R2 and see how it is after that.

For WiFi try this:

1. Disable Mirror Mode, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds
  2. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
  3. Experiment with the widths to see what gives better results
  4. Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  5. Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible
  6. Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

This is good to know then - that I can run the R2 the I have and do not need to bridge it - as i do not think my Wifi Hub/Vodafone router can do that. As long as i know its fone set up this way, then that is okay.

I have since eleveated the router, and put 2 of the antennas in the position you said. image.thumb.png.565446048ebd9b7986ddd2706abca60b.png

Are the steps you provided for WiFi something I need to do on my Vodafone router or the R2? I've switched my MacBook back onto my Vodafone connection, as web browsing is too slow with it on the R2 - but i switch it back to the Netduma connection often as i cannot use DumaOS on laptop while connected to Vodafone wifi, only Netduma

• Administrators

Do the DMZ option instead of bridge and that will ensure you can get an Open NAT. That looks good for positioning and WiFi placement. The WiFi steps are for the R2. If you do the DMZ option that may speed up browsing.

Yep, I'm sure thats it then. Was under the Internet section near Firewall etc. Great, cheers!

This still hasn't sped up the speed on my MacBook though. most web pages won't even open on my macbook while im connected to the R2. I can use Twitter fine, but trying to open links to blogs i always use and other sites just does not load. I'm trying to open this link: https://t.co/tqYQo659F5 (call of duty blog) and it loads forever then says this (image below)

image.thumb.png.02f58592192781401e49eeaa7a2e932b.png

Voila! Disabled Ad blocker in DumaOS - loads instantly!!! Thanks a lot. I'm going to keep this one off. Appreciate that!

On a quick side note, something we've spoke about in this thread or another one - do i want to to have Filtering Mode ON or OFF when im playing solo or with friends? I'm seeing mixed messages online. Do i have it off when a new friend is joining my party - then i turn it bakc on - and then wait a few mins before i search? I'm not sure why or when i need this one on. Other than that - seems to be it for now!

• Administrators

Brilliant!

If Filtering isn't on it's not going to be doing anything for you other than allowing you to see connections so definitely would suggest keeping it enabled if you're playing solo. You don't have to disable it if you're adding a friend - they may get blocked at first but you can add them to the allow list, add again and they'll be in - would be quicker than disabling then waiting. 

You're playing BF so as we've seen looks like they use servers to connect friends together so that wouldn't apply, you also mentioned I think about potentially you being kicked if filtering was on, so really the best thing to do is to see how each game works their matchmaking and go from there. What BF does isn't common though so usually it's just, add a friend, be the party leader and keep filtering on.

Ah, I see. Okay - will keep Filtering on for sure then! And keep Auto Ping Host on too? And as for friends, i guess w/ Battlefield they do it via a server then - even though when I first got the DumaOS set up, it was actually pinging them and showing in my list - not sure what changed there. 

I appreciate your help, Fraser! I do have a weird issue - but I'll start a new thread on it if needed or can i bring it here? Once i understand what's happening with it, that is probably it for now, ill just tinker about with it

• Administrators

Keep Auto Ping Host on but if it's not pinging in an instance where it's not sure what to ping between the server handling friends and the main game server just disable and ping manually.

You're very welcome, you can bring it up here that's fine.

Okay great! Will do that. Thanks again as always. 

So this last issue i cannot get my head around is trying to connect to NA servers in PUBG (console). It's my main game (i know, i know) that i stream daily - and I like to play in the evening, but EU queues are very very slow at this time of night, so i was using a VPN router to connect to NA servers. Of which there is Virginia and some others in the middle and west coast.  Now, with the R2, I was under the impression that i could essentially use Polygon to draw around just the Virginia servers, (for some reason Virginia servers show their ping as ~79` in the DumaOS, but ive never had lower than 99ms wnne connecting to NA in many years, so not sure what's happening there) as to avoid the high ping ones more central and to the west however, when I tried this, i actually could not get a game at all, it loaded forever and ever and actually would not work at all. So i tried over all NA, covering all of the NA servers, with ping assist on 0, and still no luck getting a game. The lobby counts down and goes to the loading screen - but I never get put into the match, just stuck on the infinite loading screen which you see just before you land in the lobby.

So im wondering if there is an issue here that you may know of that's happening? Maybe should i just plug my VPN router into the R2 and go back to playing NA the way i previously did? It just would have been nice to have the option to only play those Virgina servers when i want to play NA.

Screenshot2023-10-31at22_47_23.thumb.png.2626cdb2b53750d57ca5927c81bc0bd9.pngScreenshot2023-10-31at22_44_40.thumb.png.2203962895b4442c004f3afec4226331.png

• Administrators

So two things I could imagine happening here: 

"The lobby counts down and goes to the loading screen - but I never get put into the match, just stuck on the infinite loading screen which you see just before you land in the lobby." - In relation to this, it could be there is a server getting blocked on the map when this happens, it could be an authentication server for example that needs to be allowed. Add it to the allow list and then see if the game server appears within your radius. 

The other thing that could be happening is they have some system that blocks people from outside the US connecting to the servers, hence why it works with a VPN as it appears you're in the US.

First try the steps I mentioned in the other topic:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  4. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  5. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  6. Wait 2 minutes
  7. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works better. If not check for the blocked server I mentioned to allow it.

Sorry for late reply!

Hm, interesting, I actually didn't block any servers - unless one of the authentications servers is outside of my polygon radius? An Authentication server would be one with a solid white online around it right? I'll retry again when im next on. Shall i turn off auto-ping or Filtering mode while booting the game up so that i can see where the Auth server is and allow it?

If none of this works - then i guess "The other thing that could be happening is they have some system that blocks people from outside the US connecting to the servers, hence why it works with a VPN as it appears you're in the US." - this might be the case. 

I'll report back once ive tested. Cheers!

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, TheMW2Ghost said:

Sorry for late reply!

Hm, interesting, I actually didn't block any servers - unless one of the authentications servers is outside of my polygon radius? An Authentication server would be one with a solid white online around it right? I'll retry again when im next on. Shall i turn off auto-ping or Filtering mode while booting the game up so that i can see where the Auth server is and allow it?

If none of this works - then i guess "The other thing that could be happening is they have some system that blocks people from outside the US connecting to the servers, hence why it works with a VPN as it appears you're in the US." - this might be the case. 

I'll report back once ive tested. Cheers!

If it's an authentication server we haven't identified then it wouldn't appear with the white circle around it. You don't need to disable filtering mode, launch the game then check for anything that is blocked, allow if needed then you can try again.

Semi-unrelated - (we've touched on this within this thread) but im on the CoD campaign, and my friend from the US (same one ive been playing Battlefield with) joined my Xbox party- and it he appeared near his state as 'Blocked Player' - I tried to click on it but as Auto Ping Host was on, it didn't let me - and it did not appear in the Ping List. How can I see history/get him to pop up again to allow him (even though he's still in the party) - as it wasn't letting us connect properly for a little while.

Shall i leave party, turn auto ping off, and rejoin maybe? Would just like to get him hard locked as an allow - so he'll be recognised for all future sessions, hopefully.

I turned auto ping host off and waited a minute then rejoined, but his icon (i assume its his) overlapped with a Dedicated Server icon, which i wasn't able to Deny, i guess we can't deny dedi servers? - not sure what that server is for - but im on CoD Campaign atm. So i wasn't able to click his icon, it just kept clicking the dedi server icon.

EDIT: Added image

image.thumb.png.e4bd03e390c70666cdf6be14ac36ced7.png

Okay. And i tried again, but this time loads of Blocked Player Icons appeared in all different states, none of which he is from. By the time i got to zoom into one, they all disappeared. Apologies if I'm missing something. 

My friend is in Alabama - the state with the X on it, nothing pops up there, or has popped up there since I have had him joining. 

I must add - i did have a 'peer' 'allowed' - but obviously the allowed player is not showing in that location - so i deleted it - rejoined - and still no icon popped in his location. Again, sorry if im missing something. 

image.thumb.png.a6c3d9ac67264369ec222910bc9cd745.png