Is QoS needed if you have enough bandwidth ?

unknownid

Hi, 

I'm trying to figure out if for a 1Gbps connection, only playing from the PC via lan cable with a phone connected wireless, do I really get any benefit of using QoS?

I assume the router will just be able to send everything in time so there will be no queues or ?

• Administrators

If on your entire network it's just those two devices then it's not as needed but still a good idea to use it. An automatic app/phone update could occur and cause you to lag which could be easily prevented by using QoS. You will have a very small network queue and with Gaming prioritized it would be at the top of any potential queues.

Yea, good example. I was trying to figure out if its worth the struggle cause I can see a lot of people with a lot of different settings :))

Do you have some kind of baseline + steps/framework on how and based on what(probably that A+ test) to fine tune ?

P.S And maybe some general things to avoid like IPv6, but I'm not quite sure how PPPoE works now and if it's worth to keep a shitty TP link AX1500 and put R2 in the DMZ or just deal with some bandw loss and general best practices so far, that would be much appreciated.

Probably this best practices could be useful for all the DumaOS newbies I guess would save some forum threads if well placed/maintained always for the most recent beta firmware.

• Administrators

Best thing to do is a Connection Benchmark test, you'll want to get the Ping Under Load graph to look like the Ping Test graph as much as possible. It's best to start with a high value for Congestion Control (set to Always), say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

IPv6 should be okay now, I would still suggest using another router to handle PPPoE at the moment. 

I see, right now I have an A connection on that bufferbloat test with this shitty tp link so I expect to be pretty easy to find the good results but I guess I should be going for A+ right ?

Also, not sure if I got this right, do the congestion control sliders work with smartQoS or not ? I ve read some stuff in the first 10 pages of the firmware topic.

ThankS!

• Administrators

A+ would be good yes but focus more on the actual graph and values so that the two tests closely align.

You can use them yes but as you have seen there are some bugs around it reverting/staying enabled but you may not experience that.

Yea, I have +4ms when downloading 600megs and +8ms when uploading 800megs so this can barely never happen in a real life scenario so I'll play with it but I'm pretty sure I don t actually need it.

Now being a security guy, having the R2 in the DMZ of tp link makes me anxious, but I have good endpoint security so I d be fine BUT, is it really neccesary ? COD and every app/game has ports posted so can't I just forward the needed ports in this case? It might be something that I'm missing but this is what I could come up with as the most secure until I can throw away the TP and use only the R2 PPPoe.

Also, are all the security features working in WAN in R2 3.3.6? I mean like all those, syn flood protection, ping to be disabled etc..

• Administrators

You can port forward on the R2 but without the R2 in the DMZ of the tp-link you would be behind the tp NAT/firewall so wouldn't get an Open NAT. You could port forward the same ports on the tp instead as well as the R2 and that should work. The R2 does have its own firewall though so it is safe to use the DMZ. 

Yes those features are working as far as I am aware.

"The R2 does have its own firewall though so it is safe to use the DMZ." - yea I guess logic beat me here, indeed it should be just like having the R2 directly on WAN, yea. 

Aaighty, I guess that was it for the moment, will be back with opinions probably next week when I m finally playing with it, thanks a lot for support!

@unknownidYou can probably get it to a better spot with no buffer especially using GIG internet realistically as long as your above 500mbs you won't notice much of a difference and if you need full speeds just disable it temporarily to download stuff quicker

This is mines for example but that just for my own network

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=ceb88ca2-699b-43dc-adcc-48882533835e

i have 1 Gb ATT Fiber. The only 2 devices I run through the R2 are my HTPC and Xbox Series X. The wireless radios on the R2 are completely turned off. All other hardwired devices are connected directly through the Humax fiber gateway with the use of a couple of network switches. All tablets and phones connect directly to the Humax wirelessly.  The R2 is connected to the gateway. I really did not have to do much to get it to work. All my NAT are completely open on the R2 in this setup.

Here is a screenshot of the connection benchmark on the R2 for me:

image.thumb.png.e97aff046b5b6d7124e45597077fb8c5.png

As you can see, the R2 can only detect up to 900 Mbps down and 700 Mbps up. The QoS is set to Always Enable. Down @ 78%, up @ 43%.

Here are the bufferbloat test results:

I hope this can help the ones of you that have similar 1 Gb fiber connections as I do. The R2 may not be the best one stop do it all router but it can still be very useful in gaming if you can get it setup right and you were lucky enough to get a less flawed router. 

image.png