Xr1000 help

Ive had this xr1000 for a few years and really never got the speeds im paying for. I was paying for 500 down and 20 up, now i uograded to 500-1000 down. When i do the speed test i was almost around 220 down...upload seems to be fine. I falls way down below 100.Now last week i tried to log into netduma and a error came up on the computer(i forget what it was) so i did a soft reset, unplugged it for a few mins and restarted. Then i couldnt connect to either the 5 or 2.4 network...they was gone. But i noticed the factory netgear 5g one was there and with no security. So i had to fsctory reset. After all that my top download speed was under 250. Ive place alot of calls to my isp and they say there is nothing wrong with my signal. Im on cable internet. What can i do to try ti get my speeds to where they should be or do i have a bad router? Firmware is up to date

Im testing it in a hard wired computer, goin to speedtest.net. and also thru my xbox series x useing microsoft edge at speedtest as well. Yes i did put in the speeds im supposed to be getting...500up 20down....ive been scratching my head with this since i got it 2 years ago. Im definaly not a network person, im just wonderin if i have a setting not set right.

I'd first turn off your cable modem, plug in your laptop/PC directly to the modem, power the modem back on and once you get an IP and Internet on your device - try a speed test directly from the modem to your device. It'll definitely tell you whether it's your ISP or the router. If you're getting your full speed from your ISP during that test, turn off your modem and reconnect your router then power then both back on... Go into your router admin and turn off QoS and do another speed test. If you're getting your ISP speeds without QoS then adjust your sliders and maybe set congestion control to auto instead of always on. Also I'd set your max download and upload speed you got from your direct modem test to QoS settings. Can't really comment on the wifi radio issues though.

thanks for all the replies. i will try and check out later tonight but first i gotta redue the router from scratch. i took the router with me to work today to plug it into my works internet to see if it lets there full speed thru. when i plugged it in and it booted up it was like the router was reset back to factory. the wifi signals was back to factory. that did that to me the other day when i did a soft reset, unplugged for a few and restarted and all my settings was gone and the wifi signal that was there was not password protected. so let me redue this thing and ill check and try what you all mentioned. as for the modem thats all it is is just a modem not a combo and unfortunatly my cable company provides it and i cant get my  own(it sucks). thanks again for all the info....

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Jeff15425 said:

thanks for all the replies. i will try and check out later tonight but first i gotta redue the router from scratch. i took the router with me to work today to plug it into my works internet to see if it lets there full speed thru. when i plugged it in and it booted up it was like the router was reset back to factory. the wifi signals was back to factory. that did that to me the other day when i did a soft reset, unplugged for a few and restarted and all my settings was gone and the wifi signal that was there was not password protected. so let me redue this thing and ill check and try what you all mentioned. as for the modem thats all it is is just a modem not a combo and unfortunatly my cable company provides it and i cant get my  own(it sucks). thanks again for all the info....

If you've not rebooted from the interface since setting up and then pull the power that will happen so next time when you've set it up give it a reboot from the interface and wait a few minutes before accessing. That will act as a hard save so if/when you next unplug it settings should be saved.

ok...i got the router up and running again, i did use the app and did a restart to save it. but i had to use my laptop that is completely wireless because i left my keyboard over at my soon to be house so i couldnt do the speed tests that way. i know its not too acurate but i used my xbox series x, wired and used microsoft edge. before i get to the results when i was setting up the router i left netgear do its setup instead of me doing it myself. it came back with the speed of 633 down and 20 up. id be happy with that but..yeah there is a but, when i went to qos page of netduma and ran that test it was 341 up 19 down. so i tried to disable the Qos and the speed was 385. i ran a benchmark test and it was 200 down. now with the xbox tests ranged from 280 to 357 down. i also turned off the modem and connected the xbox straight to it and ran the test, it was around 300. tomorrow night ill be able to connect a computer straight to the modem and see what that says. the modem is a arris cm3200 and what ive found online it does have that puma chipset. so maybe the modem is bad. i just had the cable company in to my house and ive got the same internet package there but a new different modem. i dont know what kind it is but ill be checking. now over there i have my old netgear 7000 router there for now till i move and this xr will replace it. the speeds if i remember with the 7000 was close and a bit over 500. so im goina keep testing...thanks again for the advise...

ok i wired into the modem and ran some tests...google came up with 715 down. i was happy to see that. then i ran one thru speedtest and took the closest server and that is my isp. it came up with 273 down. so i powered down the modem for a few and let it fully restart, then the router to fully restart powered the computer and went to googles speed test and it was 633 down. closed the page and went to speedtest and it was 154 on my isp server, so i changed servers picked one the was 60 miles away and it was 218. for the heck of it i used my phone on the 5g band and omg one was 683 and the next was 741. oh and while doing these tests i have no devices plugged into the router besides the computer and my phone was the only thing on wifi. the upload speeds seem ok there around where i should be at 20. i was getting 18 to 21 with the upload and the pings ranged from 11 was the lowest and 37 was the highest that one was on my phone with the 741 down speed. so any thoughts?

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Jeff15425 said:

ok i wired into the modem and ran some tests...google came up with 715 down. i was happy to see that. then i ran one thru speedtest and took the closest server and that is my isp. it came up with 273 down. so i powered down the modem for a few and let it fully restart, then the router to fully restart powered the computer and went to googles speed test and it was 633 down. closed the page and went to speedtest and it was 154 on my isp server, so i changed servers picked one the was 60 miles away and it was 218. for the heck of it i used my phone on the 5g band and omg one was 683 and the next was 741. oh and while doing these tests i have no devices plugged into the router besides the computer and my phone was the only thing on wifi. the upload speeds seem ok there around where i should be at 20. i was getting 18 to 21 with the upload and the pings ranged from 11 was the lowest and 37 was the highest that one was on my phone with the 741 down speed. so any thoughts?

When you say modem do you mean the XR1000 or your ISP modem router? 

• Administrators

As you did see some instability in speeds directly connected to the modem as well it doesn't sound like a router specific issue. So it's either some issue with the ISP or most likely given that your phone seems to get great speeds consistently would be an issue with the PC you're using to test.

I still need to take the router over to the house and run the tests there. Over there has a new modem from my isp. Plus the house is on a different network from my isp. If the speeds are more stable there then its the isp's network that the prob is at. Im glad and still hopeing that its not the router, i like the features it had even though im not sure what im doin with the setting for xbox gaming.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Jeff15425 said:

I still need to take the router over to the house and run the tests there. Over there has a new modem from my isp. Plus the house is on a different network from my isp. If the speeds are more stable there then its the isp's network that the prob is at. Im glad and still hopeing that its not the router, i like the features it had even though im not sure what im doin with the setting for xbox gaming.

Do keep us updated, hopefully it will just be that and all good at the new place.