Keep losing ethernet connection on xr1000

Hi everyone,

On Sunday I lost my ethernet connection.

I assumed it was a fault with my Virgin Business router as this is in modem mode and i use the xr1000 as my secondary router.

Virgin business engineer came out today and replaced the router for a new one and then blamed the ethernet cable from the virgin router to the XR1000. I wasn't convinced it was the cable but I just agreed with them.

I am still having an ethernet issue with the xr1000, every time I plug in the ethernet cable from the virgin hub to xr1000 , the xr1000 internet symbol goes to solid red but if i plug the ethernet cable straight from virgin router to desktop it works fine.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks Jim

• Administrators

That means it's detected the ethernet connection, it may take a few minutes for it to then receive internet - if not reboot the XR wait a few minutes and it should have ethernet then. If the disconnect happens again could you get the log from the System Information page please?

Hi Fraser, 

so in the time I've posted my message I have disconnected the xr1000 total and have no issues with connection from virgin hub and desktop recognises it as Virgin , as soon as put virgin hub in modem mode and plug in xr1000 in my desktop does not identify ethernet connection.

Hi gents, so i did as said and hey presto , we are all back online. Put virgin hub into modem mode then turned it off then back on , waited to establish then turn xr1000 on. All working, thanks for all the advice. Any idea why the xr1000 dropped out in the first place ?

• Administrators

Great to hear that! Hard to say without looking at the log when the disconnect happens, it could be the DHCP lease, in which case doing this could prevent it in future:

In LAN Setting, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes.