NetDuma R2 as Wifi repeater

Stobbee

Hello to everyone. 

I was wondering if I can use the NetDuma R2 just as a Wifi repeater. I know I will lose all the Duma OS features but I need to use it on a different floor connected to a powerline. Is there a way to disable all the features an use it just to amplify wifi signal? 

thanks for your help

• Administrators

I mean you could, I don't see any immediate problems with that other than a double NAT, which you could solve using the DMZ. You could just connect it to the powerline as you wish to, it would receive internet that way if it had an ethernet port on it

I've tried all day long different settings between the two Netduma. The main one on the first floor is connected to the modem. From that room with a powerline I've connected the second Netduma on the lower floor. Connecting the ethernet cable from powerline to wan port I get many issues and connection is not stable. Connecting Netduma from powerline to ethernet port it looks like the connection is more stable, the only issue I face is that sometimes when I'm browsing Router settings from 192.168.77.1 it's like appear a new instance (with different wan IP and different devices connected) for few seconds, and when this happens I lose internet connection. The most of the time instead I get the same settings as the first floor (with the main Netduma) and I can see even from the lower floor the devices connected from device manager. 

• Administrators

You'll need to set one of the router LAN IPs to something else, they can't be the same so you'll be getting a conflict there, that should resolve some issues. Other than that I'm not a huge fan of powerline adapters personally, they really depend on the quality of the wiring in your home as to how well they can perform.

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You may need to reboot both routers, then it should work

For the second router connected to the powerline should I use the Ethernet or the wan port? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

You'll need to use the WAN port in that scenario

Changing the router ip address (the secondary connected to powerline) from 192.168.77.1 to 192.168.88.1 it gives me issues with mobile devices: all the devices, no matter in which floor they are connected , get the 88 ip, so I don’t get internet when I’m on the first floor (where dhcp should give addresses with 77) 

The R2 does not work as an AP! Peripherals on 2 different subnets will not be able to communicate with each other... Simply restarting them electrically can help, keep in mind that using the same ssid on 2 different wifi routers is clearly a problem!

• Administrators

You'd need to reconnect the device to the other WiFi network for the first R2 and then probably reboot the device you're connecting with, it's not going to work well if you're trying to use it as a WiFi repeater but using separately should be fine.