Netduma - Auto Detect speed

Hi team,

This is regarding Netduma - Auto Detect speed

Do you use Ookla or fast.com for speed testing or an in-house server to test net speed?

I am particularly bothered with this one because it has a different(slower) speed compared to when I try to speed test in Ookla and fast.com in the browser.

image.png.7dc43c2a167b84e0fead280a0f31a101.png

May be you can get this type of auto detect speed similar with asus on this one.

image.png.089988111af06bce021db1add7620cfb.png

9 minutes ago, Jeofel08 said:

@DARKNESSseemed mlab server are very slow compare to ookla and fast.com

Dude it doesn't generally matter just use whatever you like it all based on whatever servers are near you that will give the best data and if you want to get the most accurate speeds just connect straight to modem or whatever you have

• Administrators

As above we do use mlabs, people do seem to get slower speeds to them, possibly due to the routing to those servers or depending on the server it connects you to. Use the sites you know you get accurate results from and use those values

@DARKNESSI may have reasons why I suggest this.

1. They are working on smart QOS(ping optimizer) on R2 which hopefully they will import it to NG

2. Since we would like to leave the NG alone and automatically does it's thing without touching it.

Hope anyone would understand that I suggest this for ease of use.

6 hours ago, Jeofel08 said:

@DARKNESSI may have reasons why I suggest this.

1. They are working on smart QOS(ping optimizer) on R2 which hopefully they will import it to NG

2. Since we would like to leave the NG alone and automatically does it's thing without touching it.

Hope anyone would understand that I suggest this for ease of use.

I MEAN THEY COULD ADD IT I KNOW THEY HAVE IT FOR THE XR1000 BUT COULDN'T SAY IF THEY HAD TO PAY FOR A LICENSE ETC NOT THAT IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE IT LIKE ASKING THEM TO DO MORE WORK FOR SOMETHING THAT USELESS WHEN YOU CAN JUST ADD YOUR OWN CC

• 5 months later...

@Netduma FraserActually after some thoughts I think it would be a beneficial feature to make it more convenient for users however I think using a site like https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat and add that to the ping optimizer would help a lot more to stabilize networks so users don't have to involve themselves with things they don't understand too much and solve there network problems.

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, DARKNESS said:

@Netduma FraserActually after some thoughts I think it would be a beneficial feature to make it more convenient for users however I think using a site like https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat and add that to the ping optimizer would help a lot more to stabilize networks so users don't have to involve themselves with things they don't understand too much and solve there network problems.

That's what Connection Benchmark is for, with Ping Under Load

• Administrators
8 hours ago, DARKNESS said:

@Netduma FraserTrue indeed though would it be possible in the future to add multiple different benchmark services for convenience? Just a thought not necessary...

The benefit of Connection Benchmark over 3rd party tests is it actually runs from the router rather than just from the device and can accurately simulate a congested network. I'm sure we could assuming they had an API but they may charge and I don't think the team would want to put resources into adding 3rd party software into our own, especially when we have a version of it already.

• Administrators
On 11/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, Jeofel08 said:

Hi Fraser, Does Connection benchmark auto adjust speed with QOS?

Do you mean does Connection Benchmark reflect the Congestion Control percentages on QoS? No it shouldn't reflect that.

This is actually very helpful especially If the Congestion Control automatically adjusts after getting the results from the Connection Benchmark

Hopefully, we can have that feature like an auto/manual selection.

Or shall we call it  "Auto-Congestion Control"

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Jeofel08 said:

Hi @Fraser regarding smart qos meaning it is no longer need for congestion control right? And this will be a brand new qos method compare to the last one?

Congestion Control is still needed, it's more for automatically prioritizing and allocating bandwidth according to what the activities/devices you want to take precedence. 

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Jeofel08 said:

I see, Anyway I would like to propose this functionality since there are isp that has variable speed depends on location and signal especially 4G/5G

It's certainly a good idea so I'm sure we'll look into it!