Device Manager showing devices connected to the wrong network

I have recently enabled the Telstra Optomiser and when viewing the device manager, it shows a large number of WiFi devices as connected to a LAN

In the image below only one of these devices is actually connected to the LAN, the rest are WiFi (2.4GHz & 5GHz)  devices that are connected to a Telstra Network Booster, which is also showing as connected to the LAN when it is actually connected via WiFi on the 5GHz network.
So, I am really not sure how to fix this as it appears it is incorrectly discovering the location of these devices on the network which does appear to be configurable.

The devices that are connected via WiFi directly to the Telstra Modem and not the booster appear to be showing as connected to the correct WiFi network.

image.png

• Administrators

Hello, welcome to the forum!

As they are connected to the booster that is why they are appearing there as the modem can't tell accurately how the devices are connected as they're not connected directly. It will not impact the functioning of the devices or the modem in any way.

That doesn't really make a lot of sense, or it is a very poorly coded application as it has to be able to tell they are not connected to the LAN as the LAN ports (4) are physically part of the modem. The only way that would work is if the developer has dropped the ball and the logic is to scan all available Wi-Fi networks and then simply dump all remaining devices that it has not been able to locate on the LAN without actually scanning the physical ports of the modem. 

Is this stuff really that buggy, well that is not buggy it is just poorly written code and too be honest I think I will just uninstall it as the more I get into it, it just trying to reduce the latency to try and improve the online gaming experience. I don't think it would actually be improving the performance that much anyway.
If it can't work out the most basic part of the network topology, I am guessing the rest of it is just a few flashy dashboards that are not actually doing much of anything. It fell at the first hurdle, actually managing the Quality of Service and routing all the data whist managing the bandwidth was never going to happen.

It sounds like one of those 12-year-old online gamers knocked it up in the garden shed after school. 

This whole Telstra modem and deal where they guarantee you will get full coverage of your property or they will give you additional boosters for free was all just a sales pitch, only installed it 6 months ago and the modem already died and had to be replaced.

Thanks anyway for the response.

Will have to throw it all out and go get some decent kit. As they say, the "poor man pays twice" and I know I have done it enough times, you think I would learn.
Try and take the cheap way out and it bites you in the ass and you have to go out and buy the thing you should have brought the first-time round.

• Administrators

Showing they're connected to the LAN is the default if the connection type can't be determined. I'm not a developer so I can only tell you what I know, it's quite possible it can be improved upon but it doesn't affect the functionality in any way. I will create a ticket for the issue.

What issues are you having with QoS exactly? Most of the time it just needs to be fine tuned to your network.

Hi @Steve Young,
Thanks for your feedback and sorry about your experience.  As Fraser suggested the primary intent of Internet Optimiser is to provide you the ability to prioritise real-time applications to prevent interruptions from other usage happening in the household, but we know customers like using the secondary features like Device Manager so definitely want to resolve visual issues like these. 

Could you help confirm which Telstra modem & booster your running there?  Was it the Gen 3 devices (they're black) or was it Gen 2 (white) devices?

image.png

For the Gen 3 devices we have some firmware updates upcoming in the next few months that do include improvements to the WiFi booster discovery mechanism, so am hoping what your seeing here is covered by that.

J

Just to give you a little more info, that device manager dashboard is not accurately showing the status of the devices either. So, the laptop I am using right now and a number of other devices are connected to the WiFi and I can see they are connected when I look in the "Smart Modem Settings" but the Device Manager Dashboard is showing them as offline. When I sit here and watch it for a while the devices randomly jump from online to offline and then back to online. But they are actually online all the time, and it is not the signal strength dropping as I can see on the devices that they have a strong signal and are having no issues browsing the internet and streaming youtube vids etc

Thanks for the extra info @Steve Young, am fairly confident this has been resolved already for a future firmware/version, but must admit I've never seen it confusing the booster-connected devices as wired like yours is doing.  Its usually just that it doesnt understand the Gen 3 booster is a network topology item, so its downstream connected devices dont tree up under it as they should, like mine below (the 4x devices above it are actually wired LAN):

image.png

Have kept myself a note to update you here, when we have those firmwares available to customer test in the next few months.  Thanks again for reporting it and hopefully its otherwise useful for you.  As a side note, there are some updates starting to go out next week which will improve the protocol detection, for more video conferencing & media apps.