Flash to OpenWRT

abc123

Adding the ability to flash from Netduma to OpenWRT.

This would be a benefit for debugging, i'm aware it's built on-top of OpenWRT so unless there is a hardware support issue this shouldn't be too difficult.

Deciding the benefit is the only real question i suppose.

Guest Netduma_Iain

From a software/hacking perspective it make a lot of sense. However from a business perspective it doesn't match our current strategy I'm sorry to say. We will give patches, etc for the OpenWRT community but our IP will be closed for the forseeable future. We intend to follow the id software method, basically monetise it for a x number of years then open our older versions up to the community, so younger programmers can learn from it and tinker.

From a software/hacking perspective it make a lot of sense. However from a business perspective it doesn't match our current strategy I'm sorry to say. We will give patches, etc for the OpenWRT community but our IP will be closed for the forseeable future. We intend to follow the id software method, basically monetise it for a x number of years then open our older versions up to the community, so younger programmers can learn from it and tinker.

I've never installed third party WRT firmwares onto routers, but are you saying in the future that your firmware would be able to be installed on to something like my current router RT‑AC87U? I would love that option, your features are awesome for the netduma, but the hardware is a limiting factor for me.

I've never installed third party WRT firmwares onto routers, but are you saying in the future that your firmware would be able to be installed on to something like my current router RT‑AC87U? I would love that option, your features are awesome for the netduma, but the hardware is a limiting factor for me.

I am sure one of the guy's will comment on this as well. But they are focused on building up there own start up company, on a product of there choice. I can't speak for them, I do however feel. They would love to give us all the great power router hardware wise, with there great software. However that is just not possible right now, with cost for them, and cost for the customer's of there product.

So it's key for us gamers, to support them as much as possible now, so in the future. Something like this could be more possible. I am not talking about there software on other company's routers, but them releasing a better router with greater hardware down the road. Anyways I am completely with you, as I do own a Asus RT-AC87R currently. But I did go ahead today, and order one of there routers. As there are work around's, if you need some features of a router like mine I just listed above.

Once I get my netduma router, it will be my main router. However I will have my AC87R connected to it in either Router mode, or AP mode. Because I will be using the 5ghz band, Samba share with my usb3 hdd connected. I just gotta figure out, if in AP mode all this will work. If not, I will use router mode, and disable firewall's, dhcp server, UPnP, and such. Let the netduma router handle all that kind of stuff.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

Thanks for answering Scott!

We probably will never(I could be proven wrong though) give the option for customers to flash routers. The reason being its very dangerous procedure that can end up with the router being "bricked" meaning its essentially dead to the world.

I know abc, will correct me saying many modern routers(including ours) are unbrickable cause you can recover using backup boot-loader. However this is NOT something we want customers to even consider doing.

In terms of getting new hardware, we will eventually have to do that to keep up with technology. However we are entirely focused on the R1 currently. When(long term) we do upgrade hardware we will look into fair options for existing customers. Something like you already own the R1 software licence, so you don't need to pay for it again. Again this is all pie in the sky stuff right now. We are exclusively focused on the R1 right now.

Hi,

Thanks for answering Scott!

We probably will never(I could be proven wrong though) give the option for customers to flash routers. The reason being its very dangerous procedure that can end up with the router being "bricked" meaning its essentially dead to the world.

I know abc, will correct me saying many modern routers(including ours) are unbrickable cause you can recover using backup boot-loader. However this is NOT something we want customers to even consider doing.

In terms of getting new hardware, we will eventually have to do that to keep up with technology. However we are entirely focused on the R1 currently. When(long term) we do upgrade hardware we will look into fair options for existing customers. Something like you already own the R1 software licence, so you don't need to pay for it again. Again this is all pie in the sky stuff right now. We are exclusively focused on the R1 right now.

I understand, I'm very excited for your product and just ordered it today actually!  I'm happy to support you guys in the beginning because I know that this product is going to be great, and so will the support (I've actually know Adam/ Maccabi since BLOPS1 and he's always been extremely helpful, great choice as community manager)!  I believe that through word of mouth this product will be the next big hit in gaming (like scuf).

Correct, Allowing other routers to be flashed brings up the following as well:

1. Your router would need full OpenWRT support (drivers)

2. Netduma would have to feel safe releasing their added software to OpenWRT (Intellectual Property could easily be stole).

3. Possible chance of having to help users who ruin their routers and then try to blame Netduma, understand the router is never truly ruined and with TLS you can unlock almost any router.  But they don't want to support that when they are a startup.

From a purely technical standpoint: yes, this router is running their version of OpenWRT.  So it should be able to run the official OpenWRT firmware.

However, from a startup this isn't the best way to make money.

Archived