Bt Home Hub 5

You plug the netduma into port 1 on HH5 and put the netduma IP into the DMZ on HH5.

Then I disabled the wifi on HH5 an let the netduma handle all connections (wired and wireless).

You plug the netduma into port 1 on HH5 and put the netduma IP into the DMZ on HH5.

Then I disabled the wifi on HH5 an let the netduma handle all connections (wired and wireless).

So would I be able to still use the HH5 ethernet ports as I would have the HH5 in the living room with the family computer and apple tv  then use gig powerline adapters to put the r1 in the room with the consoles/gaming computer

That's significantly different to my own setup but what you have proposed will work.

It will have issues though and you won't get full benefit from the Netduma. Anything plugged into HH5 wouldn't be part of congestion control for example.

I'd recommend the following:

- Netduma into HH5 in living room. Netduma into DMZ and then turn off wifi on HH5 (HH5 wifi is rubbish anyways, I get much better signal from Netduma)

- Family computer / Apple tv into Netduma either by wifi or Ethernet.

- Homeplugs into Netduma and then into your gaming room.

Using about you get full functionality of Netduma but do lose 5 GHZ wifi. Homeplugs ain't the best for gaming (some latency increase and slower connection speeds) but preferable to wifi in my opinion (plus you were going homeplugs for gaming anyway so no worse off).

That's significantly different to my own setup but what you have proposed will work.

It will have issues though and you won't get full benefit from the Netduma. Anything plugged into HH5 wouldn't be part of congestion control for example.

I'd recommend the following:

- Netduma into HH5 in living room. Netduma into DMZ and then turn off wifi on HH5 (HH5 wifi is rubbish anyways, I get much better signal from Netduma)

- Family computer / Apple tv into Netduma either by wifi or Ethernet.

- Homeplugs into Netduma and then into your gaming room.

Using about you get full functionality of Netduma but do lose 5 GHZ wifi. Homeplugs ain't the best for gaming (some latency increase and slower connection speeds) but preferable to wifi in my opinion (plus you were going homeplugs for gaming anyway so no worse off).

Buds suggestion is the best imho   

while you do lose the hh 5ghz wifi in the grand scheme of things that isnt a biggy esp with the shonky wifi hh's have ;)

gaming via wired >gaming via homeplugs > gaming via wifi 

I got to admit I do love my homeplugs i have a few dotted about the house and have now got my home network set up so everything runs through the r1

the rugrats entire bedroom net connection runs thru the home plug ( hes wired for his gaming and wireless for everything else), so instead of having multiple devices running through the r1 i only have to deal with the one wired homeplug connection for him.

Thanks everyone for the help so quickly! One more question and I will setup as suggested!

I have the TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT kit which also repeats the wifi and gives two Ethernet connection my one worry is will it have its own up then give the xbox and pc its on own Ip not linked to the netduma or will it just have its own ip for the wifi repeater?

• 4 months later...

Just to add add my pennies worth of input here to the BT Infinity topic. I have BT Infinity 2 & this is my setup which works great...

WALL SKT ----> HH5 - Wireless OFF (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 - Not sure if this makes any difference) ----> R1 (In HH5 DMZ) - Wireless ON ----> 3 PC's (wired), other devices etc.

Three PC's are wired to the R1 (main gaming platforms - I brought my kids up the right way!). Everything else connects wirelessly. Switched off any port forwarding on HH5 as the R1 does it all if required with ease.

Despite what some BT forums say you CAN switch the HH5's wireless off & it will stay off! There is no 'Modem mode' on the HH5 but this doesn't seem to make much difference in the grand scheme of things. I did have an Openreach modem in place of the HH5 but wasn't overly impressed & so went back to the HH5. All good so far with this setup.

Archived