building a pfsense gateway

abc123

i'm tired of it all being so router dependent...it is time..

Currently i'm thinking:

* Lenovo Thinkcentre M58P Desktop Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 4GB 160GB (3.0GHz dual core)

* Intel I350-T4 (4 port ethernet card) * 2)

This would give me an awesome pfSense gateway, then everything else would just be Access Points (mostly for wireless).

I'm also thinking for the Wireless Gateway it is time to go commercial grade:

* Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AC Enterprise WiFi System - UAP-AC

Then i'll just use the netduma as a pass-through gateway for my consoles.

All done looks like ~$410

Thoughts?

Edit:

Now looking into A1SRM-LN7F-2758 for the board, since it is 7 NICs onboard with 2.4GHz * 8 core embedder processor (literally made for this purpose)

dude now your talking my language. Honestly it's not going to give you an advantage for gaming at all. It just gives your more control of your network really "A bad ass Firewall" Pfsense does have a package called pfblocker a geo-filter but it is much different then the netduma. I use both together, my nat is stuck on 3 and I can't seem to get it off. I am sure it's a setting with pfsense. 2.2.3 just came out, I am running 2.2.2

I currently have the A1SRM-2758F with 16 gigs of ECC ram, SSD hard drive. I am really happy with it honestly I love it. 

Ask any questions you want, I enjoy having 4 nic's as you can separate your network from each other.

Also pfsense is just another router :) with some crazy hardware behind it. 

Yes you should do it :)

Build it you will love it, if you like your Netduma R1 you would love your pfSense box. So many things you can use to monitor your network and change. Just google Snort, pfblockerNG, Dansguardian, Darkstat are some stuff I like. Just look that stuff up, the pfblockerNG is pfsense version of a geo-filter. What it does is blocks incoming connections form known spammer IP's. If you do decide to take any old computer you have laying around and adding another NIC for cheap to test it out and if you like it upgrade to a power house if you feel the need.

Any old computer laying around the house could be turned into a high powered router that is designed for FIREWALL. If you want geo-filtering for gaming stick with the Netduma R1!

Nope, not even a dent to be honest. If it's for home use go with 4-6, it all really depends on if you plan to VPN. Other then that you should be straight, ask people on the forums over on pfsense :) just an FIY they are not as friendly as these forums.

I had a pfsense router before my R1 and I loved it, it was a lot of fun and the plugins available were great. One which i found was good was called somthing like squidcache. I also have used Unifi aps and love the things, very reliable and solid

hurm would you recommend pfsense or a unifi gateway?

Ubiquiti Networks Edgerouter Poe 5Port Router With Poe (ERPOE-5)

Go pfsense then run it in a VM and then run a VM of windows, linux and whatever else you want off the same computer. Then just remote connect to the machine and you have a bad ass computer also. 

https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor

• 2 weeks later...

just bought a fanless fit-pc4 pro (x86 quad core/16GB ram/SSD) in a small router form factor and will use it as a super gateway.

i may do it via Ubuntu/KVM and direct I/O to present both i211 NIC to the pfsense or openwrt VM and keep performance level high :)

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/specifications/fit-pc4-models-specifications/?model%5B%5D=fit-PC4-CG420-WACB-FM4U&model%5B%5D=fit-PC4-CA125-WB-FM4U

just bought a fanless fit-pc4 pro (x86 quad core/16GB ram/SSD) in a small router form factor and will use it as a super gateway.

i may do it via Ubuntu/KVM and direct I/O to present both i211 NIC to the pfsense or openwrt VM and keep performance level high :)

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/specifications/fit-pc4-models-specifications/?model%5B%5D=fit-PC4-CG420-WACB-FM4U&model%5B%5D=fit-PC4-CA125-WB-FM4U

this is what me jealous looks like

• 1 month later...

Archived