Unique Setup Pfsense

My current network set up is as followed.

My pfsense is my router/firewall it also has 4 nic's.

My ISP plugs into a nic on my pfSsense that gives me my Wan from my ISP.

Nic 1 - ISP- Pfsense-Switch-AP

Nic 2 - PS4

Nic 3 - Netduma-PS4

I am trying to figure out how to set up the netduma and add it to my current network. I was wondering if I can put the netduma in AP mode and configure it that way or can I set a static IP on it and set it up that way?

• Administrators

Hi love the name. Thanks for purchasing.

It's late in the UK just letting you know ill respond in the morning.

The netduma does not have access point mode. Does the other node not have dhcp. If not the "settings > wan" has a static IP section

• Administrators

That's really your choice the easiest will be dhcp which means you do nothing on the router :) I'm signing out for the night mate but I'll be able to help out fully tomorrow

• Administrators

Hey TF,

Did DHCP not work then? If not I'd suggest going to "Settings > WAN" and setting up a static IP in the subnet of the PF sense. 

• Administrators

Hey TF,

Did DHCP not work then? If not I'd suggest going to "Settings > WAN" and setting up a static IP in the subnet of the PF sense. 

This is my GUI of my pfSense interface.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-30%20at%202.04.3

This is my nic that I am using for the Netduma only. I feel I have to set up the static IP and do something with the mac address? I have tried setting the static to DHCP also but no IP pops up. 

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-30%20at%202.03.3

I can also get the mac address of all the nic's. Do I need to put the nic's mac address in the netduma interface? 

• Administrators

Sorry man I'm away from office and I can't see images on my phone. I can help tomorrow when I get back.

This is bit more of a pfsense question. Tell them the router has a dhcp client like a typical residential router so how can I setup dhcp on the nic.

I'll help as soon as I can

• Netduma Staff

You can set up the static IP like this:

Description: Netduma

IPv4 Configuration Type: Static IPv4

IPv6 Configuration Type: None

Mac Address: (You can get this by going on the Netduma to Settings >> WAN and then if you enable MAC address cloning, you can copy the MAC address that is in the box and paste it in this field).

MTU: Leave blank

MSS: Leave blank

Speed and duplex: keep as default

IPv4 Address: Use the one listed as WAN IP in device manager.

IPv4 Upstream gateway: none

Hopefully that helps you out :)

Sorry man I'm away from office and I can't see images on my phone. I can help tomorrow when I get back.

This is bit more of a pfsense question. Tell them the router has a dhcp client like a typical residential router so how can I setup dhcp on the nic.

I'll help as soon as I can

When I click device manager I don't have an IP next to it.

The only Ip I see the is the IP that my mac is connected with.

At this point I am about to give up sadly. I have been trying for hours & hours, I just don't have the knowledge or knowhow to do this.

I feel that if the netduma was able to bridge all the ports on the back of the router it would work. "Just a guess" or just being able to turn of dhcp might help. Can I do this? Does anyone have Skype or would want to help me out with screen share?

• Netduma Staff

At this point I am about to give up sadly. I have been trying for hours & hours, I just don't have the knowledge or knowhow to do this.

I feel that if the netduma was able to bridge all the ports on the back of the router it would work. "Just a guess" or just being able to turn of dhcp might help. Can I do this? Does anyone have Skype or would want to help me out with screen share?

Hi mate, Sure. Come into the chat room and I'll see if I can get it sorted for you.

• Netduma Staff

Ok, so kinda got it working but only though one of the AP that he had - it didn't seam to want to work connected directly to the pfsense. We tried the following things, after all of them we did a restart of the Netduma.

- DHCP. There was no IP after WAN IP in device manager.

- Static IP from the pfsense side. There was no IP after WAN IP in the device manager.

- Static IP from Netduma side. The pfsense has DHCP enabled. No internet connection but WAN IP was the one we assigned. No ping to pfsense. traceroute to 8.8.8.8 was weird. It got to Netduma. Then it got to 192.168.1.199. That was the IP that we had tried to set up as a static IP earlier. Not sure what was happening there.

Eventually trolling_farm had the idea to connect it to an access point - it worked. But he wants to connect it to the pfsense and for some reason it isn't working. I think that it is the pfsense settings but I'm out of ideas, lol.

• Administrators

Hi guys,

You set the wrong WAN IP. I suggest you go to Netduma "Settings > WAN"

IP Address: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Seconday DNS: 8.8.8.8

Then click apply, does that connect you? 

Ok, so kinda got it working but only though one of the AP that he had - it didn't seam to want to work connected directly to the pfsense. We tried the following things, after all of them we did a restart of the Netduma.

- DHCP. There was no IP after WAN IP in device manager.

- Static IP from the pfsense side. There was no IP after WAN IP in the device manager.

- Static IP from Netduma side. The pfsense has DHCP enabled. No internet connection but WAN IP was the one we assigned. No ping to pfsense. traceroute to 8.8.8.8 was weird. It got to Netduma. Then it got to 192.168.1.199. That was the IP that we had tried to set up as a static IP earlier. Not sure what was happening there.

Eventually trolling_farm had the idea to connect it to an access point - it worked. But he wants to connect it to the pfsense and for some reason it isn't working. I think that it is the pfsense settings but I'm out of ideas, lol.

Would you be able to jump into the Netduma chat? Crossy & I are talking.

Archived