R2 Bandwidth issue?

wrathoftank

Hi Guys,

Been to long, hope everyone is doing well and having a great Holiday season! 

So I've had an issue every since I had the xr500 and now the r2 where for some reason it limits my bandwidth to basically 1/20th of its potential on the download side, the upload side seems relatively unchanged.

So I go through the setup process and because my bandwidth is 1 gb up and down it tells me I don't need QOS because my ping doesn't change when it does the testing.  So the bandwidth sliders are unchanged, I'm basically just using the r2 or xr500 for the geofilter.  

Everything works well for a few days, no issues with the bandwidth but then out of nowhere my bandwidth goes down to around 3mbps down and 500 mbps up.  The only way I can get it to go back to normal is with a factory reset.  The other weird thing is if I unplug the r2 or the xr500 and switch to any of my other routers my bandwidth goes back to normal and never gets this issue (3 other non duma routers that I've purchased over the years).

I noticed this issue way back when xr500 originally launched but switched back to my asus because I didn't really need the geofilter at the time.  Then I noticed it again when R2 launched and again switched to my default router the amazon Eeros, because it wasn't critical for me to have the Geofilter.

So I'm just trying to see if anything can be done, because I'd really like to use the Geofilter for Warzone 2.0 because the servers I get are filled with packet loss unless I use the Geofilter, but with the bandwidth restriction I can't really use any of my Duma OS routers.

Thanks,
Jerry

Forgot to mention I have the R2 behind my Att router/modem and have the R2 in the dmz and nothing else plugged into the att modem/router and wifi turned off so that all routing is done through R2.  Behind the r2 is my amazon Eeros to provide mesh wifi throughout the house.

• Administrators

Hope you're having a great holiday too! First of all disable QoS fully from the Congestion Control menu :menu then see if it happens again, if it does then QoS isn't the issue at all and we can focus on other areas, if it doesn't then something within your QoS settings is triggering it. Does there seem to be any pattern as to when it happens, apart from it happens every few days e.g. start watching Netflix or gaming, working from home etc. Also when the speeds go down are you testing from behind the Eeros or is it the same if connected directly to the R2?

On 12/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hope you're having a great holiday too! First of all disable QoS fully from the Congestion Control menu :menu then see if it happens again, if it does then QoS isn't the issue at all and we can focus on other areas, if it doesn't then something within your QoS settings is triggering it. Does there seem to be any pattern as to when it happens, apart from it happens every few days e.g. start watching Netflix or gaming, working from home etc. Also when the speeds go down are you testing from behind the Eeros or is it the same if connected directly to the R2?

Had a great weekend hope you did too!  I just disabled the QOS, I'll let you know if the problem persist!  

I haven't been able to find any pattern to it, when testing the speed I alway start by testing using the connection bench mark.  Then I test using the eeros, then I'll test using google speed test, and then speedtest.net just to make sure.

Just a reminder this is how my setup goes...

ATT Modem/Router (wifi disabled)

R2 in the Modem's DMZ

Eeros connected to r2 to provide mesh wifi where needed.

• Administrators

Keep us posted! Don't use Benchmark as some people don't get their expected speeds, it uses different servers so use speedtest.net to keep the results closer, will also help to determine if the R2 gets the correct speeds but doesn't pass it on for example

wrathoftank,

I assume you have an ATT Fiber modem. If so, I have a similar setup to you. ATT Fiber modem and an R2. I setup the R2 to go through passthrough mode on the fiber modem and left DHCP enabled on the R2. I only have my xbox and htpc connected to the R2, all other hardwired devices are connected directly to the fiber modem. I am actually using the WIFI6 on the fiber modem. The R2 is simply being used for geo-fencing.

The R2 will never detect the proper speeds of 1 GB up and down (its technically 950 Mbps up and down) but the R2 detected 900 down and almost 700 up so I stuck with those numbers. I turned QoS to always on and set both sliders on 70%. I ran the bufferbloat test on the test website on both my desktop pc (directly hardwired to the fiber modem) and on htpc. The results are A+ with the R2 and only A directly from the fiber modem. my ping on COD is often in the mid 20's now. This setup works for me because even though most all my internet capable devices are all hard-wired, rarely am i using multiple devices at once. Using a Netgear GS308 managed switch for those. And wireless devices like phones or tablets are only connected when needed. Connect your Eeros directly to the fiber modem, factory reset your R2 and reconfigure. The benchmark test results on the R2 will be inconsistent but even if you dont get full bandwidth playing COD, you dont need it. Getting bufferbloat down is the biggest difference maker there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
17 minutes ago, wrathoftank said:

@Netduma Fraser Ever since I switched QOS off I haven't had any bandwidth issues, so I'm guessing I'll just leave it off since I really only need it for Geofilter..

Interesting okay, I think it would be good to try the Early Access firmware as if it's still an issue on that then we can debug it more easily