DNS Queries Question

In watching the number of queries, I see going out, the second highest besides Microsoft is netgear in less than 30 days. Can anyone shed any light why I would need to talk to Netgear so much? Are the telemetry dns entries I can just add to my piehole and nextdns. I am all about lowering my network traffic and this seems extremely unnecessary, once a month seems enough to say hello if that, I guess I could just block the whole domain but then I am unblocking it to get the forums. Any thoughts would be great on this.

hex:7777772e6e6574676561722e636f6d@1x.pnwww.netgear.com 14,635 DNS attempts in 20 days.

I did find this and may blacklist some, but I am sure I don't need the wholle list. Maybe I just need to wireshark my outboud nic for a bit I guess.

• Administrators

Are you using routerlogin.net to access the interface? If so that will account for some of it, accessing via the LAN IP 192.168.1.1 instead should reduce it, other than that it's telemetry and possibly some cloud updates, it does also use Netgear to keep the time accurate as well. Other than that I would have to check, it's very unlikely to be using much traffic at all.

I use 192.168.1.1, almost never use the other except for the first time setup if I factor reset. It's just crazy its so high. It not alot on traffic, but is pushing me into another teir on some other DNS services I have tried. I cant think any reason I would need to talk to netgear 14k times about in month or less.