XR500 multi router Network config question

I've managed to pick up an XR500 which I'm going to put duma os on, but I have a question about its DHCP/DNS/Gaming features such as geo-filter/QoS/Anti-bufferbloat etc

ATM I have a home built Openwrt router in an old Crystal Xbox case(going on 15 years old now) running with a switch and a looong lan cable to a centrally located room in the house with an older N600 wifi router being used as a switch/wifi AP with its dhcp turned off.

I was wondering if I turn off the DHCP on the XR500 will it serve the same purpose with the gaming features, or will they stop working? (because I assume all devices will pick up the openwrt router as the gateway)

does it have a DHCP relay feature at all? (some routers allow DHCP relay where the router is the gateway but everything gets its IP from the DHCP router instead)

trying to avoid a second subnet situation as there are file servers and consoles and other things on the other side of the house plugged into the switch on the openwrt router.

alternatively it might be possible to replace the openwrt router with the XR500 and move the switch to the room, but I am unsure of the XR500's wifi range, as the opposite end of the house has the wifes tablet and phone etc which is the primary use of the wifi.

╔    TVBox/ESXI Machine                                           ╔  Printer

ONT BOX --- OPENWRT ROUTER -- SWITCH -- Long lan cable -- Old N600 wifi router as AP/Switch with disabled DHCP WIFI: Phones/Tablet/Laptops/Raspberry Pi's/other garbage

╚    Wifes Desktop/File server                                   ╚ My Desktop/Old busted PS4 via Powerline adapter

The above diagram is my current setup I'm looking to either replace the old N600 with the XR500 and retain its features(the entire point of getting it)

or replace the custom Openwrt Xbox router if the wifi has the reach

Max distance is 15 meters, 2 standard(dry wall/gib board) walls 

Any advice or experience anyone can offer up for any of this would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

To get the best out of the XR500 and DumaOS, it's be best to replace the OpenWRT router with it. The Wi-Fi on the XR500 is pretty good, better than your standard ISP router anyway!

With the XR500 here in the network, you won't have any issues with NAT and QoS will have fully control over the network, ensuring you're not having any issues with lag due to a congested network.

All DumaOS work regardless of whether you're using DHCP on the XR too! 

Much appreciated, I'll give it a go, its set to arrive tomorrow

I have a stack of various ISP wifi routers mostly HG659 huawei garbage, even the exact same models have completely different issues related to wifi range and strength.

the old netcomm n600 was the most stable wifi router with the best reach and even it struggled to get decent range

so hopefully the XR500 will mean I can finally get rid of em all lol

1 hour ago, Raxis said:

Much appreciated, I'll give it a go, its set to arrive tomorrow

I have a stack of various ISP wifi routers mostly HG659 huawei garbage, even the exact same models have completely different issues related to wifi range and strength.

the old netcomm n600 was the most stable wifi router with the best reach and even it struggled to get decent range

so hopefully the XR500 will mean I can finally get rid of em all lol

Sounds great, let us know if you have any questions after you've installed it!

13 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Sounds great, let us know if you have any questions after you've installed it!

Got rid of the openwrt router, the n600 and moved the switch

Xr500 is managing everything and the wifi has range to spare with 9+things connected to it from the itherside of the house. 

Well pleased, thanks again. 

7 hours ago, Raxis said:

Got rid of the openwrt router, the n600 and moved the switch

Xr500 is managing everything and the wifi has range to spare with 9+things connected to it from the itherside of the house. 

Well pleased, thanks again. 

Love to hear it! Thanks for updating us, do post back again if you have any further questions.