Neither WiFi Config (2.4 or 5) is letting devices connect to Nighthawk XR500?

Hello!

I just went through the unfortunate, painstaking process of getting my AT&T-provided, must-be-used-in-front-of-your-own-router (Arris BGW210-700), into DCHP and IP Passthrough mode in conjunction with my Nighthawk XR500 router.

The Arris is functioning for DCHP Server. The XR500 is meant to be the router.

Oddly, although both SSID's are showing, my computers say "can't connect to this network" and my phones get stuck while "obtaining an IP".

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

To note, the laptop I've been using to Ethernet into the routers WAS able to connect to the WiFi and took the password as usual. The laptop was Ethernet-connected to the XR500, but it didn't show the hard line network connection. Not sure if that occurrence helps.

UPDATE: I had to change the passkey to the XR500 SSID's. This kicked me out of Duma on the laptop. As of now, regardless of whether I attach an Ethernet cord from the laptop to the XR500, or not, it still won't let me join the network. If I revert back to the Arris-powered wifi, I still can't access the XR500 Duma/settins (whether by routerlogin.net or the direct IP).

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

I think probably the best thing to do, especially considering you're setting it up with new equipment is to give it a factory reset and then that should work. If specific devices have trouble connecting after that then disable Smart Connect for WiFi and have them connect to 2.4GHz manually.

You'll won't be able to access the interface from a device connected directly to the Arris.

Thank you for your response and what you do here!

So, I am unable to perform a factory reset. I can't access the settings regardless of whether my laptop only has a hard line connection to the XR500 or any other way. I can't access the page to reset.

Also, no matter how long I hold down the reset button in back (with a tool) it doesn't reset.

I can't win for trying here :)

EDIT: It might be resetting now. Or it's just gonna have the power button blink white until I figure out it needs me to power cycle it?

Thank you so much for helping me to pause and re-evaluate. To no one's surprise, your directions allowed me to successfully reset to XR500 to factory.

So, it ran it's install and it's working on my devices!

I can't thank you enough for moving me another step forward.

Question- Given that the AT&T-supplied Arris must come along for the ride and do IP Passthrough and function as a DHCP Server, are you concerned with this setting being on, on the XR500? Should I toggle? 

XR500 DHCP settings.png

• Administrators

That's brilliant to hear, glad it's all working now!

You should absolutely keep the XR running as a DHCP server, it's what is giving your devices their IP addresses. The Arris DHCP server is just giving a local IP to the XR, not your devices.

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

Hi, glad it’s all sorted. Did you by any chance pop in from Reddit?

Sure did! Thanks for all the help you provide people like myself that are just trying to get a little, tiny bit better at controlling our own networks. One step at a time.

Just to do my part in making sure others know of this resource: