R1 DumaOS 3.0 - VPN Setup

Od1n

Hey Netduma Support,

I wanted to setup a VPN on my R1 that is only assigned to my PS5 (as an option to play in a different region). Has the VPN setup changed since its first implementation into the DumaOS?

All guides that i found are several years old, and the instruction video from the Netduma YT channel is set to private now too. If i recall correctly i must just paste the OpenVPN file into the DumaOS interface and then select the device in my network it should apply to. Is that still correct? :)

Also last time i tried the VPN Router solution the download speeds dropped to like 3-4mbits due to the VPN computation being so demanding for the R1 CPU. I assume this will still be the case, right? If yes i would make sure to not download larger files through this setup but turn off the VPN then. As long as the stability of the VPN connection doesnt suffer from this i could deal with the reduced bandwidth.

Yeah that's still correct. Then, just add the PS5 to the VPN traffic panel on the right.

You will still see a drop in speeds, though I don't think it should be that much. Gaming doesn't really require more than 2mbps bandwidth anyway so it certainly shouldn't cause any issues if it's just the PS5 you're putting in there.

Thanks a lot Liam! :)

I run into two issues though, maybe you can help me out (see screenshot below).

1) The R1 doesnt allow me to assign the VPN to the Playstation. The option to activate the VPN for this service is greyed out.

2) The VPN says connected on the left side but when i do an IP/location check with my PC i am still on my normal IP and home country.

For reference this is what i did:
I clicked on Setup VPN, then picked Advanced. Unter username and password i typed in my NordVPN login credentials. Then under Configuration i pasted the whole text content of the OpenVPN file that i downloaded from the NordVPN website. Is that correct? Or must it only the be certificate part of the .ovpn file?

image.thumb.png.928fe1749ddd6d78eb6672f4aac6116d.png

No problem.

1.  This is misleading, what it's actually doing is VPNing EVERYTHING from the PS5, it's grey because you can't tell it to VPN specific ports/services from a console device.
  2. Switch your PC to "Do not VPN these service", then don't add any services. You should then see the VPN location correctly.

Let me know if you have any issues after that.