XR1000 factory reset itself...

I have an XR1000 that I've had since December, it's on firmware 1.0.0.58_1.0.44.

The last few days I've been having weird issues with one of my Wyze cameras where it randomly started blinking red and blue, meaning that it's connected but has no connectivity. I finally figured out that power cycling the router fixed it, but tonight, a different one started doing the same thing. So I thought, maybe my router is blocking traffic to this device? I got the MAC address and logged into my router and found that, no, everything was fine; the camera was showing online in the app, but no video stream coming through. Hmm. Well, I thought, a reboot fixed it last time, I'll try again. Since I was already logged in I just went to Administratrion > Reboot.

Well, internet came back but it never reloaded the admin page. Started getting weird errors. Couldn't even log back into it. Finally I tried again and got the prompt for credentials, but it was rejecting my admin credentials. Just out of curosity I tried the default combo and guess what, it let me in. Everything was wiped out. No wireless devices connected, only my LAN devices. Every tab is giving me the welcome tutorials.

Begrudgingly I tried to start over, starting with setting the password - but it gives me an error:

"400 Bad Request

This server does not support the operation requested by your client."

What on earth? Is this thing just toast or what? I can't believe I'm having issues like this with a router this expensive after only a few months. My Nighthawk R7000 lasted me 7 years before it gave me any problems.

So I just manually factory reset it and now it's reset-reset - walking me through the initial setup steps. Previously it's like it defaulted all my settings but didn't totally factory reset itself.

It let me set the admin password and set up my wireless networks again, so I guess the manual factory reset sorted it.

Still - this can't be the expected behavior just from rebooting. This must be some sort of a firmware bug?

7 hours ago, zetto156 said:

So I just manually factory reset it and now it's reset-reset - walking me through the initial setup steps. Previously it's like it defaulted all my settings but didn't totally factory reset itself.

It let me set the admin password and set up my wireless networks again, so I guess the manual factory reset sorted it.

Still - this can't be the expected behavior just from rebooting. This must be some sort of a firmware bug?

Hi, I just came here to report a similar issue.

The Tuesday I blocked a device on the network, the lad's PS4, all seemed fine, went to re-enable the following day and the router appeared to not register what I was asking, the PS4 still couldn't connect to the internet. In the end I just connected the PS4 to WIFI and he could use it.

A day later I went to log onto the router and got an error on Chrome/Edge, different devices saying something about a theme not working, just some text. Found the error:

haserl CGI Error Failed to readline from 'config get DumaOS_Theme_Version'

Rebooted the router and realised it lost it's config and was factory settings. I backed it up 2 weeks ago but this seems useless as it hasn't restored any of the DHCP addresses I've reserved etc, arrrrrrrrgh. What an absolute farce. Plus I have no idea if it will happen again so going to waste hours of my life putting it back to how I had it.

Very weird coincidence this happened to you too. Such a flaky product :(

7 hours ago, zetto156 said:

Glad to hear it seems to be working OK, that certainly is bizarre though. I would think that now it's been fully factory reset, whatever issue you were having should've been clear out. Please do let us know if you have this problem again though and we'll assist.

53 minutes ago, andybtsn said:

Hi, I just came here to report a similar issue.

The Tuesday I blocked a device on the network, the lad's PS4, all seemed fine, went to re-enable the following day and the router appeared to not register what I was asking, the PS4 still couldn't connect to the internet. In the end I just connected the PS4 to WIFI and he could use it.

A day later I went to log onto the router and got an error on Chrome/Edge, different devices saying something about a theme not working, just some text. Found the error:

haserl CGI Error Failed to readline from 'config get DumaOS_Theme_Version'

Rebooted the router and realised it lost it's config and was factory settings. I backed it up 2 weeks ago but this seems useless as it hasn't restored any of the DHCP addresses I've reserved etc, arrrrrrrrgh. What an absolute farce. Plus I have no idea if it will happen again so going to waste hours of my life putting it back to how I had it.

Very weird coincidence this happened to you too. Such a flaky product :(

Sorry to hear this, if you have this error again please go ahead and create a new topic with as much info as possible and we'll gladly look into it with you.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Glad to hear it seems to be working OK, that certainly is bizarre though. I would think that now it's been fully factory reset, whatever issue you were having should've been clear out. Please do let us know if you have this problem again though and we'll assist.

Sorry to hear this, if you have this error again please go ahead and create a new topic with as much info as possible and we'll gladly look into it with you.

I hope you are asking for a pay rise for all the apologies you need to make on behalf of the company, Liam, it must be exhausting.

I really hope it doesn't happen again, what is the point of the backup function, it didn't backup anything of use?

29 minutes ago, andybtsn said:

I hope you are asking for a pay rise for all the apologies you need to make on behalf of the company, Liam, it must be exhausting.

I really hope it doesn't happen again, what is the point of the backup function, it didn't backup anything of use?

Is there anything else other than address reservations that you notice didn't get restored from backup, any other custom configurations you'd made? I'll try and reproduce it myself. The backup feature is part of NETGEAR's settings so it's not something we at Netduma have any control over, but if I can recreate the issue I can make them aware of it directly.

Just now, Netduma Liam said:

Is there anything else other than address reservations that you notice didn't get restored from backup, any other custom configurations you'd made? I'll try and reproduce it myself. The backup feature is part of NETGEAR's settings so it's not something we at Netduma have any control over, but if I can recreate the issue I can make them aware of it directly.

It didn't save the LAN IP address (I change .1.1 to 88.1). It also didn't save the DHCP starting addresses, again I change .1 to .100. Not checked other stuff, however I cannot think of much else I would change

2 minutes ago, andybtsn said:

It didn't save the LAN IP address (I change .1.1 to 88.1). It also didn't save the DHCP starting addresses, again I change .1 to .100. Not checked other stuff, however I cannot think of much else I would change

No worries, I'll try that and get back to you.

2 hours ago, andybtsn said:

I'm afraid I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. When you applied the backup file did it reboot the XR1000 and take a few minutes to come back up?

The only other differing factor I can think of would be the time scale from when you downloaded the config and tried to restore it. I'll set a reminder to myself to try again in a couple of weeks but otherwise I can't think of any other differences.