Network Map

I have to say that I find Network Map really buggy and I don't really understand why. I have raised separate concerns on this before but for the first time have grouped them together in one post!

Network map frequently shows devices that are online as offline, and when a device is turned off it not only shows that device as still online, it also shows a device that is online as possessing two IP addresses, one of which is the device that just turned off.

I have uploaded a picture of this...

"computer" at 192.18.1.2 is actually switched off. Not only is it shown as online but another "computer", which is switched on, is showing two IP addresses, one of the IP addresses it is shown to have is that of the switched off "computer".

Also, "Other" is a managed switch, it is switched on but is showing as switched off. This is visible in Windows Network, so why is it not visible in the router table? It's actually a Netgear gaming switch so it's kinda disappointing it doesn't show up!!

Capture.JPG

• Administrators

A device will show offline if there is no traffic detected so even if the device is on it may not show online if it's not actively sending/receiving traffic. It also works the other way around so if a device is on standby mode for example it may periodically go online to check for updates etc in which case it would show online. 

The computer in question likely has connected via ethernet and wifi at a point, in which case it would receive a different IP for both.

Are there devices connected behind the switch generating traffic?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

A device will show offline if there is no traffic detected so even if the device is on it may not show online if it's not actively sending/receiving traffic. It also works the other way around so if a device is on standby mode for example it may periodically go online to check for updates etc in which case it would show online. 

The computer in question likely has connected via ethernet and wifi at a point, in which case it would receive a different IP for both.

Are there devices connected behind the switch generating traffic?

The wifi had been disabled since I reset the router to factory settings earlier in the day.

All the PC's are behind the switch so the switch was very active. However if you are saying that the device was active then I wonder if you really mean the devices web interface which was not active.

I have not yet determine what makes this happen other than it is when a PC is switched off.